U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 07:26 PM

11,435 posts, read 6,396,193 times

Advertisements

Xenophobic East Asian countries hating on immigrants: what's new? This has been happening since the early 1400's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 12:44 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,271,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Singaporeans can be at times rather difficult to deal with, and let's just leave it at that. I would not suggest saying anything negative to a Singaporean person about Singapore (esp if you are a foreigner), nor would I criticize the government. If you want real advice, as an expat who's been living in Singapore for many years and they will tell you the truth.
I would say in Singapore the norm or cultural is, the parents and only the parents can scold and discipline their kids, of anyone else ill treat their kids they are done for.. Even public schools..

This kind of norm extend to other areas, we locals cn bash ourselves and criticise , but we do not tolerate it if outsiders criticise the way we do things and our way of life etc, easy to become public enemy that way

Old 02-17-2014, 05:27 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Xenophobic East Asian countries hating on immigrants: what's new? This has been happening since the early 1400's
Well a lot of Singaporeans are pretty unhappy about people from China coming in. Just because most Singaporeans have Chinese ancestry doesn't mean the culture is the same, there are major differences.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:55 AM

201 posts, read 264,849 times
Since Chinese immigration to Singapore is encouraged, I wonder if Malay/Austronesian (and to a lesser extent, Indian/South Asian) immigration is encouraged as well.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
Since Chinese immigration to Singapore is encouraged, I wonder if Malay/Austronesian (and to a lesser extent, Indian/South Asian) immigration is encouraged as well.
Well if you count domestic workers and some other workers there are a lot of Indonesians and Filipinos in Singapore. Lots of South Asians too, of course. The government in general encourages foreign immigration if they have the desired skills. Indeed westerners or the western-educated are highly sought after. Singapore itself is experiencing a bit of a drain partly because of these policies favouring foreigners, where it's best and brightest minds go abroad - some never return.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well a lot of Singaporeans are pretty unhappy about people from China coming in. Just because most Singaporeans have Chinese ancestry doesn't mean the culture is the same, there are major differences.
You forgot about the Indians from India too.. Also a lot of public unhappiness about them cos they may seem couth to a certain extent.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
A significant of fillpinos here in sg I would say,the general public dont seem to mind the Indonesian, fillipinos that much cos they are more cultured and maybe "civilised".. A lot of hate on the Chinese cos they are loud, some do not behave as cultured etc..

Old 02-17-2014, 07:39 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that sounds very despicable.

If Singaporeans don't get "preferential treatment in Europe and America, I fail to see why they are so willingly give some treatment to Caucasians. This is very more pathetic considering most Singaporeans ARE Chinese.

So much for respect for this country.
Respect begets respect. Immigrants who try to integrate and to establish their new home in their adapted homelands are often welcome. Those who do not even learn the language of their new host country or those who just go to take advantage of free education or health care are generally frowned upon. Of course Singaporeans will get mad when mainland China actually airs the sentiments of some of the "immigrants to Singapore" on TV who said that they are still loyal to China and never to Singapore, and they are just in Singapore to learn English or are in Singapore because the Singaporean government sponsored their education with no intention of staying or contributing back to the Singaporean community. When there are instances wherein one of them mentioned that there are more dogs in Singapore than humans or one ignored the traffic lights and kill innocent people with their Ferraris, do you think people in any country will still welcome them even if they shared some common ancestry 3 or 4 generations ago?

I don't think it is fair to expect that Singapore would welcome all mainland Chinese with open arms just because they are ethnic Chinese. A lot of them are not even welcome in Hong Kong and Taiwan due to their uncouth behavior. In fact, some migrants from other provinces or rural areas are not even welcome in the prosperous cities within China!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Respect begets respect. Immigrants who try to integrate and to establish their new home in their adapted homelands are often welcome. Those who do not even learn the language of their new host country or those who just go to take advantage of free education or health care are generally frowned upon. Of course Singaporeans will get mad when mainland China actually airs the sentiments of some of the "immigrants to Singapore" on TV who said that they are still loyal to China and never to Singapore, and they are just in Singapore to learn English or are in Singapore because the Singaporean government sponsored their education with no intention of staying or contributing back to the Singaporean community. When there are instances wherein one of them mentioned that there are more dogs in Singapore than humans or one ignored the traffic lights and kill innocent people with their Ferraris, do you think people in any country will still welcome them even if they shared some common ancestry 3 or 4 generations ago?

I don't think it is fair to expect that Singapore would welcome all mainland Chinese with open arms just because they are ethnic Chinese. A lot of them are not even welcome in Hong Kong and Taiwan due to their uncouth behavior. In fact, some migrants from other provinces or rural areas are not even welcome in the prosperous cities within China!
Yes, the government's policy seems too pragmatic and is not sensitive to the so-called 'social harmony' of Singapore. I feel the influence from the PRC is also making Singapore more Mandarin speaking on one hand. It's as common in some parts to be spoken to in Mandarin as English, which I find a bit annoying personally.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, the government's policy seems too pragmatic and is not sensitive to the so-called 'social harmony' of Singapore. I feel the influence from the PRC is also making Singapore more Mandarin speaking on one hand. It's as common in some parts to be spoken to in Mandarin as English, which I find a bit annoying personally.
Why are your avoiding about discussing the issue of Indians from India coming to Singapore ? they are also facing many problems and well "discrimination " here in Sg...

Speaking from a true blue Singaporean, born, bred, studied, work and only lived in Singapore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or