U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:01 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,401,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Why are your avoiding about discussing the issue of Indians from India coming to Singapore ? they are also facing many problems and well "discrimination " here in Sg...

Speaking from a true blue Singaporean, born, bred, studied, work and only lived in Singapore...
I'm sure they are...some Singaporeans can be kind of snobbish . Being first world they sort of think they're better, but Singapore is still a city state that depends on it's neighbours. They realise this so can't be on bad terms with Malaysia or Indonesia etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 08:04 PM

55,984 posts, read 75,034,420 times
rich folk bring money to singapore instead of taking local jobs and resources. is that a bad thing?
the chinese who run singapore are practical people and show great common sense. singapore is well run and organized. yes its a strong man system but a benevolent one.
as to people that like to come there and vandalize this city state and cause trouble, the chinese, unlike us, are not tolerant of crime.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:05 PM

1,547 posts, read 1,290,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
rich folk bring money to singapore instead of taking local jobs and resources. is that a bad thing?
the chinese who run singapore are practical people and show great common sense. singapore is well run and organized. yes its a strong man system but a benevolent one.
as to people that like to come there and vandalize this city state and cause trouble, the chinese, unlike us, are not tolerant of crime.
From a true blue Singaporean , thanks for speaking up for my Country !!!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
You're tolerant of crime? That's news to me lol.

Singapore and HK actually used to be pretty seedy and dangerous places with a lot of gangsters/triads, illegal gambling, prostitutions. In fact back in the day Singapore was known as 'sin city.' Ironically prostitution is legal in Singapore and illegal in Thailand but which is better known for sex tourism? lol. Singapore still has that side though.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:20 PM

10,441 posts, read 12,544,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Ironically prostitution is legal in Singapore and illegal in Thailand but which is better known for sex tourism?
Because it's around 50% cheaper in Thailand.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,061,935 times
Quote:
lol ok, that's why there are so many Chinese drug lords in the Philippines. Maybe you meant Chinese don't tolerate crime in Chinese-dominated areas.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Because it's around 50% cheaper in Thailand.
That's a large part of it, of course, but I find the situation in the two countries the mirror opposite. It seems Thailand almost promotes that side of it, as a tourism asset, while it's technically illegal, while Singapore wants to clean it up, but if you know where to look Singapore has the same as anywhere else just more expensive.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:29 PM

268 posts, read 329,573 times
I'm curious about the use of Chinese in Singapore if anyone has an answer. Would it be strange for a foreigner (lets say an American) started to chat it up with the locals in Mandarin? I understand English is the official language and Mandarin is spoken widely throughout, but how would local Mandarin speaking Singaporeans take to someone who preferred to speak that language with them?

Old 02-17-2014, 10:00 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,157,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
Since Chinese immigration to Singapore is encouraged, I wonder if Malay/Austronesian (and to a lesser extent, Indian/South Asian) immigration is encouraged as well.
If you take the time and watch the interview I linked in my previous post (skip to about 20:10 minutes, because almost everything before that is about the Arab Spring which may not be of interest to people right now), then you will notice that they only accept the "quality people" and that Singapore practices strict migration controls to make sure the foreigners don't overwhelm them to the point that they begin to change Singaporean culture.

Also, you will understand that the reason Singapore broke away from Malaysia was because the Malay wanted a Malay dominated society with Malays on top while the Singaporeans were not too fond of that idea. You can guess whether the Malays are among the more desired groups, but the one's that already live in Singapore are not excluded.

Last edited by AntonioR; 02-17-2014 at 10:08 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 PM

1,547 posts, read 1,290,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
I'm curious about the use of Chinese in Singapore if anyone has an answer. Would it be strange for a foreigner (lets say an American) started to chat it up with the locals in Mandarin? I understand English is the official language and Mandarin is spoken widely throughout, but how would local Mandarin speaking Singaporeans take to someone who preferred to speak that language with them?
As a true blue Singapore, i would think they we do not expect foreigners to chat up locals in mandarin, so if you do that, we may be taken aback a little, but that is just the initial part, we will move over it quickly..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or