U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 05:17 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,163,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Can't criticise public housing and transport?
What happened to freedom of speech?
The Singapore created by Lee Kwan Yu is authoritarian in nature, with many rules which people obey. Therte is very low crime, and people stand in lines without complaint. If you want law and order, Singapore is great. If you want rowdy, go to Thailand instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 05:54 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,280,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The Singapore created by Lee Kwan Yu is authoritarian in nature, with many rules which people obey. Therte is very low crime, and people stand in lines without complaint. If you want law and order, Singapore is great. If you want rowdy, go to Thailand instead.
Well the rowdiness is really just in certain areas among certain people, and doesn't really reflect the majority of Thai people or Thai culture.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:55 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,163,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well the rowdiness is really just in certain areas among certain people, and doesn't really reflect the majority of Thai people or Thai culture.
Yes, I know, but you won't find it at all in Singapore. Bugis Street is long gone. Patpong lives.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:02 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,289,596 times
Most Thai people are extremely polite, kind, friendly and humble, even in large cities like Bangkok, rowdy or not. I think that's a quality far more important than being quiet and orderly.

Not to mention Thailand is probably 10X more interesting than Singapore, which is more ideal for people interested in visiting Asia but not real and more typical Asian culture. In reality, if a country adopts English as its official language, it can't remain Asian so much (imagine the costant exposure to BBC and CNN, that changes you).

Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,280,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Yes, I know, but you won't find it at all in Singapore. Bugis Street is long gone. Patpong lives.
There's a bit of that vibe on Joo Chiat, but it's more Vietnamese girls and KTV bars. I think old Geylang let alone Bugis is not what it once was. Singaporeans themselves would also rather hop on a plane to Thailand or even Batam for that sort of thing.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:58 AM

268 posts, read 325,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
I'm an American who can speak Mandarin and if I'm in Singapore I communicate with them in English as they usually speak first to me in English. It's awkward being in certain countries like Singapore so I usually just speak in English as I do not want to offend them. I'm honestly not clear on how Singapore people's feelings towards China and Chinese so I go the safe route with English.
Hmm, that's too bad. I always pictured Singapore as a place I'd be able to utilize my Mandarin (to an extent) if I went. Though if most Mandarin speakers prefer to speak English, then I doubt I would ever have the opportunity to use it.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:43 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,289,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
Hmm, that's too bad. I always pictured Singapore as a place I'd be able to utilize my Mandarin (to an extent) if I went. Though if most Mandarin speakers prefer to speak English, then I doubt I would ever have the opportunity to use it.
you will have no difficulty practicing your mandarin in Singapore. Don't get it wrong, most of those Chinese who speak English still speak Chinese better than English.

And you should also know Singaporean English is different from American/British English. I'd rather not listening to the Singlish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48dBnQDxPUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ktn4dySpYI

It is no joke. Most people do speak like this. Only the very educated few speak fluent and proper English.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:06 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,275,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
Hi

To utilise your mandarin to an extent yes, but dont expect too much..

100% Singapore Episode 2 - YouTube

this is an interesting video, watch from 3-8 min, this american expat have been living in Singapore for some time, speaks singlish and mandarin and a bit of Hokkien dialect too, he does appear on our local ad hoc basis.. Not an unfamiliar face to local TV viewers.

A perfect example of American expat who integrate well here, but of course, some american expats dont like it here and dont fit in Singapore..

Old 02-18-2014, 05:11 PM

15,954 posts, read 36,224,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
to their country, but most of their grievances that I read about online were directed to Australians, UK, China, India, Filipinos, and Malaysians. There doesn't seem to be many expressing their distaste of Americans though.

Does Singapore dislike it when Americans move to their country and work there? I'm planning to move there with my husband in a few years and I'm worried by then they would have a very strict immigration policy in place because they consider the foreigners as "taking all their jobs".
I'm am American, and I've been to Singapore about 5-6 times. I never felt or experienced any distaste of Americans whatsoever.

Singapore is very international and mulicultural. The extremely large influx of foreigners moving to SG seem to be Chinese from mainland China, and Indian from the Indian continent. Of course, many others as well. With so many other foreigners everywhere, I'd think any random, and few and far between American, would really have no impact or reaction whatsoever from locals.

There just aren't many Americans at all. Most of the 'white' people you might see in SG, are generally Australians or British. But even their numbers are quite small compared to Indian/Chinese attempting to live/work in SG.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:12 PM

201 posts, read 265,567 times
Quote:
Also, you will understand that the reason Singapore broke away from Malaysia was because the Malay wanted a Malay dominated society with Malays on top while the Singaporeans were not too fond of that idea. You can guess whether the Malays are among the more desired groups, but the one's that already live in Singapore are not excluded.
Weren't Malays the indigenous people of Singapore before the Europeans arrived? (it was once part of the Srivijaya Empire centuries ago)

Geopolitics aside, it's strange that Malaysians coming to Singapore would be considered "foreign."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or