U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:34 AM

7 posts, read 15,786 times

Advertisements

Taiwan has a lot of christian too, though less than South Korea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Why did it not happen in Taiwan?
Taiwan had a lot of American missionaries too. However very few Taiwanese are Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 11:41 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,256,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remotepr9 View Post
Taiwan has a lot of christian too, though less than South Korea.
About 4%, so around average for an Asian country (higher than say Thailand or Japan but maybe similar to China, India).

Old 02-19-2014, 05:38 AM

32,094 posts, read 33,002,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It is sad when innocent pilgrims like that are killed like that. Perhaps I might rethink a trip to the Holy Land anytime soon myself...
This happened in Egypt not in the Holy Land.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
This happened in Egypt not in the Holy Land.
Well Sinai near the Egypt-Israel border. I consider the Sinai area really an extension of the 'Holy Land' anyway, it includes Mount Sinai and the Sinai desert where the Israelites wondered in the desert in Genesis and Exodus.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:05 PM

32,094 posts, read 33,002,049 times
Quote:
Well Sinai near the Egypt-Israel border. I consider the Sinai area really an extension of the 'Holy Land' anyway, it includes Mount Sinai and the Sinai desert where the Israelites wondered in the desert in Genesis and Exodus.
Israel is part of Asia and Egypt is part of Africa and the Sinai is part of Egypt and not the Holy Land.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Israel is part of Asia and Egypt is part of Africa and the Sinai is part of Egypt and not the Holy Land.
Actually technically the Sinai is part of Asia, so Egypt is in two continents.

Anyway no need to be pedantic about it...in my previous post about not going to the Holy Land I was talking about Israel anyway, not Egypt.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 PM

4,520 posts, read 3,104,293 times
Quote:
Yeah I think it was somehow linked to the independence struggle against the Japanese, I remember reading about it. Today I think the Seoul area is like the stronghold for Christianity while the west and south is more Buddhist.
Christianity helped their suffering through the Japanese occupation. Buddhism doesn't really have the sense of community.

Some people like their opiates.

Although I don't think it worked out that well for the Philippines. Catholicism probably hampered their economic development. Adam Smith stated in the wealth of nations that the church and the crown always got in the way of trade in the spanish colonies.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Christianity helped their suffering through the Japanese occupation. Buddhism doesn't really have the sense of community.

Some people like their opiates.

Although I don't think it worked out that well for the Philippines. Catholicism probably hampered their economic development. Adam Smith stated in the wealth of nations that the church and the crown always got in the way of trade in the spanish colonies.
I've heard that said about Latin America and Southern Europe too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or