U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is China helping or hurting Africa
Overall hurting 14 73.68%
Overall helping 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,339,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The US does business with dictatorships that accept a pro-US stance and the US expects loyalty in return. The Chinese do business with anyone regardless of their stance and the Chinese don't care to change any regime's tendency. That's the difference.

The Chinese do business with no strings attached, while the US does business with the strings.
Hmmm, yeah sort of. I guess at least the Chinese don't pretend to take the moral high ground be the heroes of the world like the yanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 09:03 AM

3,700 posts, read 3,548,152 times
China do not give arms, money to Rebels to destabilise the country if the Government is not completely on their side.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,349,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hmmm, yeah sort of. I guess at least the Chinese don't pretend to take the moral high ground be the heroes of the world like the yanks.
Moral? I think China is there to take resources.

Africa is already socially, economically and psychologically crippled by centuries of slavery, exploitation, famine, war, genocide and cultural siege. Racism is now a global standard. All cultures lighten their skin due to colonialism or history(elite stayed in doors and pale while dark peasants worked in the field)

If China takes Africa's precious metals, ores, water, wood and other resources...what will be left? They're also crippling the lands with debt the way they did with America. China is also fueling poaching in Africa due to traditional Chinese medicine using ivory. Now the environment and ecology of Africa will also be destroyed. Combined with desertification, the Boko Haram, the impending water wars and climate change..what's going to happen?

The Chinese are sly to exploit Africa without the brutality that the Europeans used. Just like how the Native Americans first thought white settlers were Gods, the Africans see Chinese as their saviors who will pull them up from poverty caused by the exploitation by European empires. The only difference is China is several thousand years late to the game, and it's hard to say what the future will tell. How will Africans perceive China in 10 years? Who knows.

Maybe instead of indirectly killing Africans, China will militarize them and make Africa its pet the way America and the UK have made other countries its pet.

My opinion on this is that my sympathy for blacks around the world continues. It's so sad. It makes you wonder what they did wrong as a diaspora to undergo such torment throughout the history of humanity. Even if their people didn't invent anything like the ancient societies of China, India, Europe etc or create empires that ruled the world.. I still think it's inhumane to do stuff like this. Just help them. They'll never compete with the rest of the world. They're thousands of years too late. Just let them live a humane life.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:29 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,331,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
well said.

I am so sick of America pretending to be interested in offering freedom to the entire world when in fact what it wants is nothing but resources and power.

The most hypocritical thing is Washington constantly preaches other countries it doesn't like on human right issues, yet never discuss the horrendous female rights in Saudi Arabia. The philosophy is: if you are pro-America and serve me as a lackey, I will leave you alone.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
The US does business with dictatorships that accept a pro-US stance and the US expects loyalty in return. The Chinese do business with anyone regardless of their stance and the Chinese don't care to change any regime's tendency. That's the difference.

The Chinese do business with no strings attached, while the US does business with the strings.
I was in Tanzania chatting with a local, and this was exactly what he said.
The Chinese are there to do business and only business, while Americans always want something other than business.

He also said that the Chinese build roads and other things much faster and cheaper than western countries (such as France, according to him).

I much prefer the Chinese kind of investment - I am here to do busiess and I don't care abour you politics because interfering with other countries' business is inappropriate. Do we really care if a car dealer beats his wife and kids at home when deciding buying a car from him?

The US moral high grounds and constant preaching about "freedom" and "human rights" is really disgusting. I can't wait for the US to decline to the extent that it simply can't afford meddling every other countries' internal affairs any more.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Maybe instead of indirectly killing Africans, China will militarize them and make Africa its pet the way America and the UK have made other countries its pet.

You means just like Washington is making Canada, UK, Japan, Singapore, S Korea, Australia, Saudi Arabia etc its pets?

I doubt that. Through the entire Chinese history, China never had international ambition (Yuan dynasty was under the Mongolia). Even during this peak time when its GDP is half of the world's, it never send troops to conquer other countries - instead many nearby countries such as Japan and Korea bow to the advanced Chinese culture at that time, and sough help when needed. As early as the 15th century, China was able to sail to and discover a big part of the world as far as the mid east and africa, but all the emperor did was to exchange some gifts to show friendship as well as power of the Middle Kingdom. No blood shed, no slavery, no resources grabbed, unlike the Portugest, Spanish, Britain etc. Western countries should really be ashame about it - their current wealth and prosperity is closely tied to such atrocities.

File:Zheng He.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One might think since China is becoming powerful and its footprints are all over he global, it must have some sort of agenda. It is typcial western kind of thinking because that's why western countries tend to do. Asian countries are by nature not that aggressive and beligerent (well, Japan excepted). For China, there are regional frictions over border disputes here and there, but colonism? that's a west invention. China didn't do it 500 years ago when it could, and it is unlikely do it now.

Of course it will try to make friends and gain political support when it can. Judging by how western countries still antaganise it and find every chance to smear it and prevent it from rising again so that the world can keep being dominated by the White, well, you simply can't blame the world's most populous and second biggest economy for trying to gain its own influence to balance it.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:52 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,650,824 times
Why don't you guys mention that China built roads, railways, stadiums and mansions in Africa, often as gifts to local governments?

What's wrong if China wants to buy resources from Africa? They did not force Africans to sell did they?

Old 02-20-2014, 01:54 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,650,824 times
Quote:

That is rooted in Christianity. Americans and other westerners always want to "convert" other people.
Chinese don't care what others do or think.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:08 PM

201 posts, read 266,585 times
I'm sure both sides are helping each other in this business relationship, but I can't help but feel that China is getting the better end of this deal.

Also, since Africa has graciously allowed the Chinese onto its land, then China should have no problem letting Africans on their land. Unfortunately, it seems Africans are not well-received in China (but most of that could probably be due to limited exposure and pervasive stereotypes of blacks in the world...).

Old 02-20-2014, 07:20 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,141,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I can't wait for the US to decline
You live in canada. What do you think will happen to canada if the US declines? They're both joined at the hip.

Never trust a communist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or