U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2014, 02:48 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Reputation: 4555

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
Most East Asians (Chinese, Japanese and Korean) in Asia consider SE Asians to be lower in social status ranking. For example, some Chinese despite the war history with Japan, still appreciate Japanese foods and culture while Filipino or Indians and their cultures are mocked with disdain and ridicule.

The Japanese tend to believe they are at the top of the social ranking and the Chinese and Koreans believe the same.
Yeah, racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2014, 02:59 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
1,019 posts, read 895,028 times
Reputation: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Never realized Chinese mocked and ridculed Indians and Filipino cultures. I think China seriously suffers from an inferiority complex. However, times have changed and invasions/colonialization have done a number on such cultures.
Most likely, it's just that we can't understand mandarin or any chinese dialect. They'll have their own forum where they anyone only their kind can understand.

Last edited by kent_moore; 11-07-2014 at 03:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2014, 06:57 AM
 
1,434 posts, read 2,116,023 times
Reputation: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Most likely, it's just that we can't understand mandarin or any chinese dialect. They'll have their own forum where they anyone only their kind can understand.


Lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2014, 11:30 AM
 
6,722 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
Most East Asians (Chinese, Japanese and Korean) in Asia consider SE Asians to be lower in social status ranking. For example, some Chinese despite the war history with Japan, still appreciate Japanese foods and culture while Filipino or Indians and their cultures are mocked with disdain and ridicule.

The Japanese tend to believe they are at the top of the social ranking and the Chinese and Koreans believe the same.

For those who immigrate to North America, they have a hard time understanding that all Asians are lumped together i.e., Asian-American and insist on separate and distinct identities. As a group, Korean-Americans exhibit the most solidarity with each other, even rivaling American Jews in terms of intensity.
Some Chinese mock every neighbor. In Chinese language, there are racist terms for Japanese, Koreans, Russians, Mongols, Indians, Vietnamese... you name it. All neighbors mock Chinese too, and often have derogatory terms to use.

It is very normal for a big nation with thousands of years of history, because essentially every neighbor had been an enemy at some time. But it would be silly to believe every Chinese is racist. Most don't even care about the race thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2014, 11:58 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post

For those who immigrate to North America, they have a hard time understanding that all Asians are lumped together i.e., Asian-American and insist on separate and distinct identities. As a group, Korean-Americans exhibit the most solidarity with each other, even rivaling American Jews in terms of intensity.
It is natural for America to lump them together because they look all the same. At the same time, China for example will lump all "white people" together as well, let it be Spanish or Norwegian. They are just white.

Actually in Canada East Asians are further segmented by statistics. Because the Chinese are a high percentage in major Canadian cities, they are usually not lumped as "East Asians". People of Chinese origin accounts for 12% in Toronto and 30% in Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2014, 12:06 PM
 
822 posts, read 987,514 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Never realized Chinese mocked and ridculed Indians and Filipino cultures. I think China seriously suffers from an inferiority complex. However, times have changed and invasions/colonialization have done a number on such cultures.


As a group, I think Gujuratis rival South Koreans and American Jews in terms of solidarity and intensity.



I agree with the Japanese perception. They deserve it to some degree. They were able to defeat a major Western power (Russia), which was astonishing at the time considering they the gap of Industrialization between European power and Asia. During Apartheid, Japanese were conisdered to be "honorary white" and not subjected to discriminatory, racially motivated treatment.

It's extremely common and sickening the extent to which it is practiced. In fact, all dark skinned people are mocked. And Vietnamese are mocked due to their lower economic status relative to more advanced Asian countries which are basically East Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2014, 12:09 PM
 
822 posts, read 987,514 times
Reputation: 640

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-rXR5l42Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2014, 12:13 PM
 
822 posts, read 987,514 times
Reputation: 640

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nIPRjwzYBo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2014, 12:22 PM
 
6,722 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
How do you know the discrimination is only based on "race" instead of socio-economic status?
Some HKers discriminate mainland Chinese too. Is that racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2014, 01:42 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
It's extremely common and sickening the extent to which it is practiced. In fact, all dark skinned people are mocked. And Vietnamese are mocked due to their lower economic status relative to more advanced Asian countries which are basically East Asian.
as if politically correct western people consider poorer countries to be completely equal to themselves. For Christ's sake, American mock even Canada all the time.

People discriminate each other, and they will also do. This will never change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top