U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 AM
 
4,688 posts, read 3,615,309 times
Reputation: 7382

Advertisements

"It is actually remarkable how drastically women's social status changed in the past 60 years."

And little known or acknowledged by people outside of China. Why? well you know, those commies are always "bad and corrupt"!

Only "democracy" can bring social changes.....not! In fact, India is a massive democracy, but why are their women treated so miserably? The frequent and brutal cases of rape happening all across India almost on a daily basis are just the tiny tips of a huge problem iceberg. So much for democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2014, 10:21 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
"It is actually remarkable how drastically women's social status changed in the past 60 years."

And little known or acknowledged by people outside of China. Why? well you know, those commies are always "bad and corrupt"!

Only "democracy" can bring social changes.....not! In fact, India is a massive democracy, but why are their women treated so miserably? The frequent and brutal cases of rape happening all across India almost on a daily basis are just the tiny tips of a huge problem iceberg. So much for democracy.
not to mention Saudi Arabia, where women's rights are the worse among all countries in the world. Yet they are "allies" of the US, and Washington never denounce it publicly, does it?

Typical westerners have this stigma: because China is not a "democratic" country, so everything happening there must not be good, and people must live miserably. If china builds subways faster, the quality must be questionable, if they have the tech to have high speed trains, they must have stolen the technologies, things like that.

Yea, keep your head in the sand pretending the world will always be dominated by the USA and a bunch of its gutless minion "allies". Under an optimistic estimate, by 2030, China's economy will be larger than US, Japan, and the UK combined. but no worries, I am sure the western countries will try to do everything in the power to prevent that from happening under the pretext of caring about "human rights" or "democracy" in China, which has absolutely nothing to do with them. And people will always wishfully expecting some major collapse of the Chinese economy or even the country itself. Well, keep dreaming if that helps them sleep better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2014, 11:02 PM
 
6 posts, read 4,916 times
Reputation: 13
Most women in china are not career women, they have to rely on having a husband who can support them financially. Paying for and supporting women with money as men's responsibility is still prevalent in contemporary chinese culture. Looking for a rich husband, not a high income job, is their priority. Mistresses in China are mostly after the married men's money, not love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeducc11 View Post
Most women in china are not career women, they have to rely on having a husband who can support them financially. Paying for and supporting women with money as men's responsibility is still prevalent in contemporary chinese culture. Looking for a rich husband, not a high income job, is their priority. Mistresses in China are mostly after the married men's money, not love.
Where you getting this info from? Maybe true for some, but women are very involved in the workforce these days and many pursue a career not just a rich husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2014, 11:05 PM
 
6 posts, read 4,916 times
Reputation: 13
The Chinese themselves do not trust made in china products too. Many chinese like to buy products from developed countries when they can afford them. They believe they are better than the China made products.
[quote=botticelli;33599596]
Typical westerners have this stigma: because China is not a "democratic" country, so everything happening there must not be good, and people must live miserably. If china builds subways faster, the quality must be questionable, if they have the tech to have high speed trains, they must have stolen the technologies, things like that.
[quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2014, 11:15 PM
 
6 posts, read 4,916 times
Reputation: 13
Most are doing low to middle skill jobs.
Only those women with better education and with an ambition to succeed on their own without men's help can be considered career women.

Basically, those chinese girls who did not even try, or did not work hard at schools cannot be considered having an ambition to succeed.

Some chinese parents do encourage their daughters to meet rich men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Where you getting this info from? Maybe true for some, but women are very involved in the workforce these days and many pursue a career not just a rich husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,361,441 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In China, very low % of men have mistresses too.
Plus, rich women in China keep handsome young lovers too. The term is er ye.

American men often have extramarital affairs, as we know.
A very wealthy mother brought her child by my school for a demo, and though she didn't take the classes, she did exchange contact info with me. She owns a business, and so does her husband. Her business is in GZ, but her husband's is elsewhere and so requires him to spend a lot of time in other cities and abroad.

She invited me out to dinner at an extremely expensive and fancy restaurant, where she told me how her husband has mistresses in other cities, and that she was very lonely herself... then asked me if we could go back to her place, that she'd be happy to pay me to "teach her new vocabulary."

So, in this situation, you actually do see some gender equality... though it's sort of backwards/questionable by the standards of conventional morality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,361,441 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeducc11 View Post
The Chinese themselves do not trust made in china products too. Many chinese like to buy products from developed countries when they can afford them. They believe they are better than the China made products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Typical westerners have this stigma: because China is not a "democratic" country, so everything happening there must not be good, and people must live miserably. If china builds subways faster, the quality must be questionable, if they have the tech to have high speed trains, they must have stolen the technologies, things like that.
Western products have a much better reputation here. People shop at Trust Mart, which is owned by WalMart, because they know it's owned by a Western company and assume that many of its products are higher-quality. Go to the Guangzhou Friendship Store, which is a huge, upscale mall in Taojin, and there's a grocery store that deals mainly in imported goods at grossly inflated prices; you'll see wealthier parents buying all these goods with indifference as to their cost, and when I brought a batch of chili I'd made to school, a few of the teachers were very excited to find out that the beans, cheese, etc were imported. Also, many items that stores sell - such as flour, soy products, and rice - will note specifically that they are made from American, European, or Japanese ingredients. Beers made domestically will still note that they are made with imported malts or wheats. A lot of this is fallout from the baby formula scandal and subsequent food ingredient scandals a few years back... though the standards are now much more strict, people still assume that Western = better or safer.

Mind you, this is a stigma that the Chinese themselves hold, here in China...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 02:31 AM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeducc11 View Post
Most women in china are not career women, they have to rely on having a husband who can support them financially.
Most women in the world are not career women, according to your definition.
China does have the most percentage of women in workforce in the world. I think about 76% adult women in China have a full-time job (need to verify).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,701 posts, read 4,672,712 times
Reputation: 3676
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Western products have a much better reputation here. People shop at Trust Mart, which is owned by WalMart, because they know it's owned by a Western company and assume that many of its products are higher-quality. Go to the Guangzhou Friendship Store, which is a huge, upscale mall in Taojin, and there's a grocery store that deals mainly in imported goods at grossly inflated prices; you'll see wealthier parents buying all these goods with indifference as to their cost, and when I brought a batch of chili I'd made to school, a few of the teachers were very excited to find out that the beans, cheese, etc were imported. Also, many items that stores sell - such as flour, soy products, and rice - will note specifically that they are made from American, European, or Japanese ingredients. Beers made domestically will still note that they are made with imported malts or wheats. A lot of this is fallout from the baby formula scandal and subsequent food ingredient scandals a few years back... though the standards are now much more strict, people still assume that Western = better or safer.

Mind you, this is a stigma that the Chinese themselves hold, here in China...
Yep, my wife is Chinese and her family still lives back in Guangzhou. We see it all the time- they do not trust many of their own products, and if possible they always prefer to buy either foreign products, or ones that are sold at a foreign owned store, knowing that regulations/quality controls are tighter. They have long shopping lists of things to buy for themselves and others when they come here to the US. Just recently they were here and all went to the Apple store to buy Ipads- sure they could have bought them at a real Apple store back in China, but they said they just don't trust that it would not be a knockoff- they don't even trust a real Apple store there, thinking the whole store could be fake, that there is no way they can know for sure. So some of it is a stigma, but some of it is based in truth, with all the bad food products they've had issues with like baby formula that was poisoning babies, the poor quality electronics, fake/knockoff items that run rampant, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top