U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:05 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times

Advertisements

Actually it seems even the Han Chinese who are Hainanese in Singapore or Malaysia seem to look a bit different, maybe more Austronesian or Thai, usually with large deep-set eyes...I'm curious about the people of Hainan, the province seems pretty ignored...I know it has ethnic Li and other people, but I'm wondering to what degree those who speak Hainanese are similar to the Li and how much intermarriage there is. I assume there are many there who are mixed and well, a lot of the Southern Chinese are natively from that region anyway. Did not the Li come from the north too? I know most Li are fluent in Mandarin and many in Hainanese, as with the Hainanese Han.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:12 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Hainan is a big mess. You can even find Malayo-Polynesian speakers there.
Tsat language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Li is somehow related to Zhuang, so they have some ancestry in Guangdong/Guangxi, at least.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Hainan is a big mess. You can even find Malayo-Polynesian speakers there.
Tsat language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Li is somehow related to Zhuang, so they have some ancestry in Guangdong/Guangxi, at least.
Yes, I find it interesting. I wouldn't mind checking out Hainan, particularly the ethnic minorities but also the Minnan Hainanese. China is trying to make it a beach resort, now it's mostly Chinese, some Koreans and Russians, I wonder if it will draw in a more diverse crowd.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:43 PM

7 posts, read 25,494 times
Some isolated communities of non-Han people in Hainan have very different culture with the Han. Haikou is populated mainly by the Hainanese Han whose ancestry are from Southern to Middle Fujian. Hainanese dialect is quite different from Chaozhou and Minnan but with same origin.

No the Hainanese Han do not tend to look distinct, they look much similar as people in Guangdong, Guangxi and Fujian. And they don't look like Vietnamese & other SE Asians.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmen_WORLD View Post
Some isolated communities of non-Han people in Hainan have very different culture with the Han. Haikou is populated mainly by the Hainanese Han whose ancestry are from Southern to Middle Fujian. Hainanese dialect is quite different from Chaozhou and Minnan but with same origin.

No the Hainanese Han do not tend to look distinct, they look much similar as people in Guangdong, Guangxi and Fujian. And they don't look like Vietnamese & other SE Asians.
Well to me they look more like that in general than even the Cantonese.

I think Sanya has more non-Han, right? Well I know most speak Mandarin and many Hainanese, as would many in the PRC.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:32 PM

One of my college roommates was from Hainan. He is Han but he looks very different. His eyes are bigger, skin is much darker and he has curly hair.
He told us that his mother does not understand Mandarin so she does not watch TV. His Mandarin is not that good either...I mean he can write and read without problem, but his pronunciation is way off.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
One of my college roommates was from Hainan. He is Han but he looks very different. His eyes are bigger, skin is much darker and he has curly hair.
He told us that his mother does not understand Mandarin so she does not watch TV. His Mandarin is not that good either...I mean he can write and read without problem, but his pronunciation is way off.
Interesting, I wonder what his ancestry is. I saw some people in Taiwan with very curly hair, almost kinky. They otherwise just looked S. Chinese, not very aboriginal. Even the Taiwanese aborigines do not tend to have curly hair let alone kinky like this man. I don't think he permed it, although I don't know, but i saw a few. I know negritos lived in Taiwan before the Austronesians so is it possible this very ancient trait was passed down?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
It's also interesting to see Taiwanese aborigines who can only really speak Mandarin. It is sad, I guess, but that's kind of the way nationalism works all around the world.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Interesting, I wonder what his ancestry is. I saw some people in Taiwan with very curly hair, almost kinky. They otherwise just looked S. Chinese, not very aboriginal. Even the Taiwanese aborigines do not tend to have curly hair let alone kinky like this man. I don't think he permed it, although I don't know, but i saw a few. I know negritos lived in Taiwan before the Austronesians so is it possible this very ancient trait was passed down?
It could be Malay too.
Also, in Tang dynasty, many Persians and Arabs lived in Guangzhou and surrounding area. Some of them may have reached Hainan as well. A local governor found too many interracial marriage in Guangzhou and launched a segregation law. Later the rebellion troop of Huang Chao slaughtered Muslims in Guangzhou, and maybe some fled to Hainan.

According to wikipedia:
In 836 AD Lu Chun was appointed as governor of Canton, he was disgusted to find Chinese living with foreigners and intermarriage. Lu enforced separation, banning interracial marriages, and restricting foreigners to own properties.[13] The 836 law specifically banned Chinese from forming relationships with "Dark peoples" or "People of colour", terms referring to foreigners, such as "Iranians, Sogdians, Arabs, Indians, Malays, Sumatrans", etc.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
It could be Malay too.
Also, in Tang dynasty, many Persians and Arabs lived in Guangzhou and surrounding area. Some of them may have reached Hainan as well. A local governor found too many interracial marriage in Guangzhou and launched a segregation law. Later the rebellion troop of Huang Chao slaughtered Muslims in Guangzhou, and maybe some fled to Hainan.

According to wikipedia:
In 836 AD Lu Chun was appointed as governor of Canton, he was disgusted to find Chinese living with foreigners and intermarriage. Lu enforced separation, banning interracial marriages, and restricting foreigners to own properties.[13] The 836 law specifically banned Chinese from forming relationships with "Dark peoples" or "People of colour", terms referring to foreigners, such as "Iranians, Sogdians, Arabs, Indians, Malays, Sumatrans", etc.
Neither Malays nor most Austronesians have this type of hair. I saw some orang asli in Malaysia: most are not pure negrito but with some Malay, they are dark skinned (dark brown) with tightly curled hair. Many Malays have straight or wavy hair like most Chinese, same with aboriginal Taiwanese.

Persians don't, but it is possible there is Persian mixture, or Arab, in Fujian. My mother's ancestors came from a village near Quanzhou, the biggest port in China during the Tang, and there were sizeable Arab, Persian, Jewish communities there so it's possible I even have some Middle Eastern ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or