Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times

Advertisements

I think some of the world's most chaotic cities are in Asia. The tremendous traffic, the constant sound of horn blowing, the mix of automobiles, cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians, etc. all add to that third world type of chaos. So which city in your opinion takes the top spot in this category?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 01:27 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Indian cities definitely comes to the top instantly, cities like Mumbai, Delhi and Banglore are worse than any other cities in Asia... and i would also consider Vietnamese cities like Saigon and Hanoi also are very chaotic as its very motorcyclist centrist.

But my home city, Jakarta have probably the worst traffic in the world and are also very chaotic and brutal city with very car-centric attitude and also are very pedestrian unfriendly. People that constantly travel everywhere with either car or motorcycle, extremely crowded population and full of ruthless people that drives like there is no tommorow. Motorcyclist rides into sidewalk when traffic gone very badly (also happen in Vietnam but because Jakarta is much2 more populated making it worse) and will honk you from the back at the sidewalk. Pedestrians are also as bad as the riders, they will cross the street anytime and anywhere they wanted, zebra cross are useless. In Jakarta yellow traffic light means you should start moving and if not they will shout at you.

Although Indonesians didn't necesarily drive as crazy as the Indians or Filipinos, they honk all the time in the road more than many cities that i've been into.

I will also put Manila as chaotic city but atleast pedestrians still can walk properly there compared to Jakarta.

Last edited by Goshio22; 02-24-2014 at 01:41 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 02:43 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Yeah Indian must surely be up there...

Of the ones I've been to probably Vietnam...

The Insane Traffic of Hanoi, Vietnam - YouTube

Here's Ho Chi Minh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4phFYiMGCIY

Crossing the street could be a real headache/nightmare, though riding on a bike could be an exhilarating experience...

Old 02-24-2014, 02:43 AM

89 posts, read 202,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Indian cities definitely comes to the top instantly, cities like Mumbai, Delhi and Banglore are worse than any other cities in Asia... and i would also consider Vietnamese cities like Saigon and Hanoi also are very chaotic as its very motorcyclist centrist.

But my home city, Jakarta have probably the worst traffic in the world and are also very chaotic and brutal city with very car-centric attitude and also are very pedestrian unfriendly. People that constantly travel everywhere with either car or motorcycle, extremely crowded population and full of ruthless people that drives like there is no tommorow. Motorcyclist rides into sidewalk when traffic gone very badly (also happen in Vietnam but because Jakarta is much2 more populated making it worse) and will honk you from the back at the sidewalk. Pedestrians are also as bad as the riders, they will cross the street anytime and anywhere they wanted, zebra cross are useless. In Jakarta yellow traffic light means you should start moving and if not they will shout at you.

Although Indonesians didn't necesarily drive as crazy as the Indians or Filipinos, they honk all the time in the road more than many cities that i've been into.

I will also put Manila as chaotic city but atleast pedestrians still can walk properly there compared to Jakarta.
I agree with you. tricycles are everywhere on the street in most Indian cities and the traffic situation is very bad. [LEFT][/LEFT]

Old 02-24-2014, 02:52 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Not chaotic per se (although it can be), but Beijing has the worst traffic jams of any city I've been to:

Traffic jam becomes serious problem in Beijing - CCTV 101214 - YouTube

Old 02-24-2014, 06:11 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Of the ones I have been too, I would put Manilla First and Bangkok Second, I did not find Vietnam that bad actually. I have not been to India or Indonesia. My most "Memorable" road trip however was actually on a" highway" in South West China.

My Brother in law owns a car and we have been driving quite a lot through Seoul, it's really surprising how ordered things are.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 AM

626 posts, read 1,240,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Of the ones I have been too, I would put Manilla First and Bangkok Second, I did not find Vietnam that bad actually. I have not been to India or Indonesia. My most "Memorable" road trip however was actually on a" highway" in South West China.

My Brother in law owns a car and we have been driving quite a lot through Seoul, it's really surprising how ordered things are.

Really??
It's gotten better then.
Last time I was there (early 80's), myself and a group of friends took the bus and I made the mistake to seat upfront...the only available seat. It was unforgettable...bus driver going to incoming traffic to pass , driver stopping the bus to relieve himself in an alley , not using signals, horn blaring every few seconds, racing other vehicles,...just a few of the things I remember to this day.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Really??
It's gotten better then.
Last time I was there (early 80's), myself and a group of friends took the bus and I made the mistake to seat upfront...the only available seat. It was unforgettable...bus driver going to incoming traffic to pass , driver stopping the bus to relieve himself in an alley , not using signals, horn blaring every few seconds, racing other vehicles,...just a few of the things I remember to this day.

30 years is a long time for fast growing Asian countries.

During this time, per capita GDP in Korea increased by more than 10 times ($2.4k to $25K), for China, 22 times. (American only tripled during the same period).

People behave differently when they get richer. Poor people don't care that much about manners.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:45 PM

626 posts, read 1,240,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
30 years is a long time for fast growing Asian countries.

During this time, per capita GDP in Korea increased by more than 10 times ($2.4k to $25K), for China, 22 times. (American only tripled during the same period).

People behave differently when they get richer. Poor people don't care that much about manners.
Agreed.
30 years is a long time....it can only get better.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:53 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
the only place where Manila traffic is not chaotic is Skyway. It conveniently connects a nice suburb to the main CBD. Only a 15 to 25 minute drive. They need more of this

Metro Manila Skyway, Makati bound (1080P) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia