Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 01:30 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's not so much about parents. The ambiance in school is like that.

My parents did not care about my studying too much. They never checked my homework or asked me what I learned in details; but the teachers and peer pressure were sufficient.
This is something I see as part of the culture here in China, as an English teacher... the children will push each other to say a sentence or a word, try to encourage kids who are reluctant to participate or are shy, etc. Even the kids who are doing really well try to get the kids who are lagging to catch up. It's quite different than the US, where the cultural attitude is that it's none of your business whether or not the others in your class do well... if nothing else, it behooves you for them to lag behind, because it makes you look better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 04:37 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,484,712 times
The only real Asian country at the top is Korea. China only let some select cities participate for propaganda purposes. Singapore is a city, basically. It's fairly easy to propdifferent it systemsnd manipulate the results to look good.

Vietnam isn't 3rd world! But I am a little ffamiliar with the school system. They do have to study a lot, but it is mostly low level stuff. It is not quality education. PISA is crap anyway. If all those developing countries rank so "high", why are they developing countries then? Yeah...

I also know many E.U. countries never do MC tests. If you have never done this, you will do worse. Different style of questions tailored torwards MC. I have switched between 2 different systems before. You really do suck if you haven't done it before.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:50 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,748,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
The only real Asian country at the top is Korea. China only let some select cities participate for propaganda purposes. Singapore is a city, basically. It's fairly easy to propdifferent it systemsnd manipulate the results to look good.

Vietnam isn't 3rd world! But I am a little ffamiliar with the school system. They do have to study a lot, but it is mostly low level stuff. It is not quality education. PISA is crap anyway. If all those developing countries rank so "high", why are they developing countries then? Yeah...

I also know many E.U. countries never do MC tests. If you have never done this, you will do worse. Different style of questions tailored torwards MC. I have switched between 2 different systems before. You really do suck if you haven't done it before.
If you are really familiar with China, you should know Shanghai students are not the best testers in China.
The best testers are found in Hubei, Hunan, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Shandong etc.
Beijing and Shanghai have some of the best students but on average, they are just so so. One reason is that life in Beijing and Shanghai is easier.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
This is something I see as part of the culture here in China, as an English teacher... the children will push each other to say a sentence or a word, try to encourage kids who are reluctant to participate or are shy, etc. Even the kids who are doing really well try to get the kids who are lagging to catch up. It's quite different than the US, where the cultural attitude is that it's none of your business whether or not the others in your class do well... if nothing else, it behooves you for them to lag behind, because it makes you look better.
lol yes the students will "help" their friends. For example, if someone cannot answer a question, usually others will tell him/her the answer in low voice.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:23 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,473,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I would say whatever success we have, comes with a price...
Not if they adopt Finland's system..

Old 02-25-2014, 10:52 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
Wow, if Singapore dominates, I wonder how many Nobel Laureates that country has ever produced.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:57 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
So they really push their kids, nothing new...

Go to 4:50

SINGAPORE DREAMING
Omg is that Singlish

Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 AM

229 posts, read 293,556 times
That is because they only count students from their rich urban centers... This would be equivalent to US only including suburbs of Connecticut in its stats.

Our PISA scores differ vastly between races because of segregation and etc. This is what it looks like:

Put that back in the countries chart:

oh wow we're actually at the top

Old 02-25-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_a_lawyer View Post
That is because they only count students from their rich urban centers... This would be equivalent to US only including suburbs of Connecticut in its stats.

Our PISA scores differ vastly between races because of segregation and etc. This is what it looks like:

Put that back in the countries chart:

oh wow we're actually at the top
Only reading data for 2009 in the US?

"Asian" American is a lousy category. They put Chinese, Filipinos, Indians and Thais together. But these peoples are light years different from each other, from genes to cultures.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,739,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post

how is Vietnam not 3rd world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia