U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:49 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I don't see it's contradictory?
There can be more women than men, but more young boys than girls. I don't know the real data though.
You don't see the contradiction? The stats quoted says that there are A LOT more men than women.....and he explains the reason because most of the men died in the war.

Logically that means there would be a lot women, if most of the men died in the war, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 08:34 AM

116 posts, read 63,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm curious as to why Vietnam has more females than males than China or South Korea, given it's very similar to China in terms of being communist, sometimes stringent family planning laws (though no OCP) and sharing the same Confucian culture. I know there is still a preference for sons among many, but I am wondering if it's to do with the social/economic structure in Vietnam.

This might be my perception, but it seems that Vietnamese women are a lot more involved in the economy than perhaps Korea was 30 years ago...but then again so were the Chinese...but anyway, if you go to any Vietnamese city you will mostly see women out - selling things, carrying things, even old women shovelling asphalt. Then in rural areas you'll see them bent over in rice paddies, and also doing things like traditional weaving, not to mention cooking, at markets.etc.

Of course I'm sure Korean women did a lot of that traditionally too, and now are involved in the economy, but I'm curious as to why Vietnam is not like China or Korea? Japan is a different case since it's more advanced, both economically and dare I say, in terms of their thinking. But Vietnam was a poor, most rural place yet it seems there is no gender bias towards males there. This is the case in much of SEA too...

I don't know if this is a crazy theory, but I've also heard more females are born closer to the equator...I wonder if that might possibly have an impact? lol

Tiger beer,

Vietnam actually has MORE boys than girls according to wikipedia but if there were more girls than boys that wouldn't be surprising either since they have just had a war not too long ago (common sense??). The average age of Vietnamese is under 30 years old, so that fits in with the general war theory. I don't know if there's any scientific evidence for the equator theory.

My Vietnamese friends tell me Vietnam is not a great place to live for women. Probably one of the worst places, they say. So going off their anecdotal experiences, I wouldn't think for a minute that if women are more numerous than men it's because they are socially progressive. Quite the opposite.

And I laughed out loud at your comment about Japan being a different place when it comes to gender equality. Are you KIDDING me? China is actually the best country out of the four when it comes to gender equality, a plus side of being/having been a communist country, believe it or not. Why would so many 20-something Japanese women these days do NOT marry? It's because they don't want to marry a chauvinistic Japanese man when they can have a good career themselves.

Finally, South Korea's male to women ratio looks about even, comparable to other developed countries. I don't think you realize that with South Korea, one decade of social growth is comparable to another's 20 years. You lived in Korea 10 years ago or even earlier than that. South Korea of 2018 (soon) is quite different from South Korea of 2008 in multiple demographic aspects, truly. I've been reading your posts for over 3 years now (a long time lurker), and you seem to have this rather offensive idea that South Korea is only marginally more developed than some of the poorer SE Asian countries , but that's not true. And as for Japan, while I respect their society, their gender rights are EVEN BEHIND SOUTH KOREA'S. And I'm writing as a female. So I'm not sure where you're coming from.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:16 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,270,777 times
As of 2016 the Male/Female ratio of South Korea and Japan are about the same.

South Korean 1.07
Japan 1.06

For reference:

China 1.15
Vietnam 1.11

If anything South Korea/Japan are alike as are Vietnam/China.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_sex_ratio

Old 12-04-2017, 02:19 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,270,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
Tiger beer,

Finally, South Korea's male to women ratio looks about even, comparable to other developed countries. I don't think you realize that with South Korea, one decade of social growth is comparable to another's 20 years. You lived in Korea 10 years ago or even earlier than that. South Korea of 2018 (soon) is quite different from South Korea of 2008 in multiple demographic aspects, truly. I've been reading your posts for over 3 years now (a long time lurker), and you seem to have this rather offensive idea that South Korea is only marginally more developed than some of the poorer SE Asian countries , but that's not true. And as for Japan, while I respect their society, their gender rights are EVEN BEHIND SOUTH KOREA'S. And I'm writing as a female. So I'm not sure where you're coming from.
He has the most out of date info on South Korea. He's a major Japanophile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or