Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:57 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,674,445 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to why Vietnam has more females than males than China or South Korea, given it's very similar to China in terms of being communist, sometimes stringent family planning laws (though no OCP) and sharing the same Confucian culture. I know there is still a preference for sons among many, but I am wondering if it's to do with the social/economic structure in Vietnam.

This might be my perception, but it seems that Vietnamese women are a lot more involved in the economy than perhaps Korea was 30 years ago...but then again so were the Chinese...but anyway, if you go to any Vietnamese city you will mostly see women out - selling things, carrying things, even old women shovelling asphalt. Then in rural areas you'll see them bent over in rice paddies, and also doing things like traditional weaving, not to mention cooking, at markets.etc.

Of course I'm sure Korean women did a lot of that traditionally too, and now are involved in the economy, but I'm curious as to why Vietnam is not like China or Korea? Japan is a different case since it's more advanced, both economically and dare I say, in terms of their thinking. But Vietnam was a poor, most rural place yet it seems there is no gender bias towards males there. This is the case in much of SEA too...

I don't know if this is a crazy theory, but I've also heard more females are born closer to the equator...I wonder if that might possibly have an impact? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 PM

1,880 posts, read 1,817,746 times
hmmm probably there is more female infanticide in China ? Especially the rural areas..

i don't know much about Vietnam.. So i am not able to comment much on Vietnam

Old 02-24-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
hmmm probably there is more female infanticide in China ? Especially the rural areas..

i don't know much about Vietnam.. So i am not able to comment much on Vietnam
Yes...but there isn't as much in South Korea, plus SK is richer and more advanced than VN. Usually as a country gets wealthier females start to outnumber males.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:45 AM

4,701 posts, read 4,041,971 times
Vietnam has a gender imbalance too. Currently they are getting 1.12 boys per girl. The reason there are more women than men is because many men have did young especially in the Vietnam war.

But the birth ratio is also slightly lower than China. I think the lower ratio is due to Vietnam being a poorer country, hence people can't afford to check for gender. Also there is less need, because they are not limited to 2 children like farmers in China are.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Vietnam has a gender imbalance too. Currently they are getting 1.12 boys per girl. The reason there are more women than men is because many men have did young especially in the Vietnam war.

but the birth ratio is also slightly liter than China. I think the lower ratio is due to Vietnam being a poorer country, hence people can't afford to check for gender. Also there is less need, because they are not limited to 2 children like farmers in China are.
That could have something to do with it, yes. Although many women also died (especially civilians) I would think more males did.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:11 PM

32 posts, read 157,701 times
As a Vietnamese I would tell you why. Because most of us don't care the race of the babies have to be boys like Chinese. I said most because there are still some with this narrow minds, but not most.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn2006 View Post
As a Vietnamese I would tell you why. Because most of us don't care the race of the babies have to be boys like Chinese. I said most because there are still some with this narrow minds, but not most.
My Vietnamese friend still said it's still commonplace but a lot of Vietnamese women support the family, same with China.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:25 AM

201 posts, read 334,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
That could have something to do with it, yes. Although many women also died (especially civilians) I would think more males did.
Let's choose a random number, say 2 million. Almost four decades have passed since the end of the Vietnam War. Is that sufficient/insufficient time for the gender imbalance to stabilize?

Old 06-06-2017, 09:08 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,976,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
That's contradictory. You just quoted a stat that said there are 1.12 MORE boys than girls.

So, the logic of more men dying in the war, wouldn't fit that stat at all.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:26 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,686,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's contradictory. You just quoted a stat that said there are 1.12 MORE boys than girls.

So, the logic of more men dying in the war, wouldn't fit that stat at all.
I don't see it's contradictory?
There can be more women than men, but more young boys than girls. I don't know the real data though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia