Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:44 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Nightlifewise Malaysia is just ok, nothing special really..

Wow that's a change, last time i thought you were thinking about living there.
I'm still interested in Malaysia

Nightlife isn't my deciding factor, by any means. I quite like Malaysia for other reasons, not that particular reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 06:57 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That surprises me. Malaysia feels quite 'boring' to me, among all of it's neighbors.

Having traveled to them all, I've really enjoyed going out in almost every Southeast Asian country, but Malaysia is one of the few where I regularly feel 'ah, why bother?'

That being said, 'open prostitution' is quite a bit different than a 'good nightlife'.
Well I don't really go to Malaysia to party, but alcohol is cheaper than Singapore and it still has nightlife. It has bars, clubs.etc that sort of thing, it's not like it's Iran or even India. I think Singapore's nightlife is underrated and not bad either it's just expensive. Malaysia has plenty of other attractions, especially natural and cultural attractions, for sure. It has more preserved rainforest than Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia combined although I hope it stays that way.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:27 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,385 times
With such low population, the rate of rainforest destruction wouldnnt be as bad.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
With such low population, the rate of rainforest destruction wouldnnt be as bad.
Sadly a lot of it is for palm oil plantations.etc, not for living space or farms...but yes, Malaysia still has more extant forest than Indochina. Indochina has very little virgin rainforest left, just pockets. The American's bombing campaign didn't help at all.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well I don't really go to Malaysia to party, but alcohol is cheaper than Singapore and it still has nightlife. It has bars, clubs.etc that sort of thing, it's not like it's Iran or even India. I think Singapore's nightlife is underrated and not bad either it's just expensive. Malaysia has plenty of other attractions, especially natural and cultural attractions, for sure. It has more preserved rainforest than Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia combined although I hope it stays that way.
I agree, there is nightlife in Malaysia as well. Yeah, it's definitely not on par with the Arabic world at all. Actually I kind of enjoy KL, solely because you see Arabic and Persian women who fly all the way to KL, just to shop, wear that mini-skirt around they've always wanted to, etc. That being said, they aren't looking to get laid whatsoever, which is what is generally strongly in the western mindset.

If a person is in Malaysia, they can definitely find clubs and bars. But, KL is pretty low on the list of cities to visit just because of the nightlife. I'd rank it real low. But, KL and Malaysia have a lot of other great things going for it, which are more the reasons I'm interested in the country, and like it.

I do like the nightlife in KL though. It's not JKT or MNL or BKK, but its not bad either. Better than most North American cities, actually, but almost anything is. Everything is so car-dependent in the U.S. and limited bar hours (1am or 2am often) in most U.S. cities. So, comparing to much of the U.S., Malaysia will look fantastic and Jakarta will look incredible.

But, comparing to other parts of Southeast Asia, or even Northeast Asia, than its lower in those rankings. Way better than much of the Arabic world though.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I agree, there is nightlife in Malaysia as well. Yeah, it's definitely not on par with the Arabic world at all. Actually I kind of enjoy KL, solely because you see Arabic and Persian women who fly all the way to KL, just to shop, wear that mini-skirt around they've always wanted to, etc. That being said, they aren't looking to get laid whatsoever, which is what is generally strongly in the western mindset.

If a person is in Malaysia, they can definitely find clubs and bars. But, KL is pretty low on the list of cities to visit just because of the nightlife. I'd rank it real low. But, KL and Malaysia have a lot of other great things going for it, which are more the reasons I'm interested in the country, and like it.

I do like the nightlife in KL though. It's not JKT or MNL or BKK, but its not bad either. Better than most North American cities, actually, but almost anything is. Everything is so car-dependent in the U.S. and limited bar hours (1am or 2am often) in most U.S. cities. So, comparing to much of the U.S., Malaysia will look fantastic and Jakarta will look incredible.

But, comparing to other parts of Southeast Asia, or even Northeast Asia, than its lower in those rankings. Way better than much of the Arabic world though.
Yes. I mean if they wear miniskirts etc nobody might even know they are Muslims...I still see most of them dress quite conservatively, though. I remember going to Sunway Lagoon with a friend, a water/theme park in Bandar Sunway, near KL, and was surprised to see just how many Middle Easterners were there. Most of the Middle Eastern looking women generally did not don skimpy bikinis.etc. You see a lot more Middle Eastern restaurants in parts of KL these days.

The problem with nightlife in those cities, while it is pumping and not just certain notorious areas, is you always have to watch out for all kinds of scammers and rip-offs, and heavies in general. This isn't so much a problem in KL, and one just feels more relaxed in KL because of this. KL is actually a bit more like American cities in some respects, of course still much more Asian, but it's transit isn't as good, more car dependent, and a lot of the things are spread out.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes. I mean if they wear miniskirts etc nobody might even know they are Muslims...I still see most of them dress quite conservatively, though. I remember going to Sunway Lagoon with a friend, a water/theme park in Bandar Sunway, near KL, and was surprised to see just how many Middle Easterners were there. Most of the Middle Eastern looking women generally did not don skimpy bikinis.etc. You see a lot more Middle Eastern restaurants in parts of KL these days.

The problem with nightlife in those cities, while it is pumping and not just certain notorious areas, is you always have to watch out for all kinds of scammers and rip-offs, and heavies in general. This isn't so much a problem in KL, and one just feels more relaxed in KL because of this. KL is actually a bit more like American cities in some respects, of course still much more Asian, but it's transit isn't as good, more car dependent, and a lot of the things are spread out.
I should clarify, I just see the skimpy miniskirts out in Bukit Bintang from 10pm-1am on a weekend night, when pretty much everyone is out to SEE and BE SEEN. Not any different than any other nightlife place in the world actually. It's just interesting to see Middle Eastern women all dressed up to the nines as well though.

Occassionally at Petrona Tower's food court / shopping mall, I'd occassionally see a very dolled up Middle Eastern women dressed up to the nines as well. But, I also see plenty of Chinese or Korean or other nationalities do that as well. I'm thinking its the same vein that an American women goes topless on a European beach. Not because they are 'looking for something', but solely because its a bit of freedom and feels good, and no other motivation behind it.

Outside of those two places, its quite doubtful I'd see that so much though anywhere else in KL/Malaysia with the Middle Easterners.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I should clarify, I just see the skimpy miniskirts out in Bukit Bintang from 10pm-1am on a weekend night, when pretty much everyone is out to SEE and BE SEEN. Not any different than any other nightlife place in the world actually. It's just interesting to see Middle Eastern women all dressed up to the nines as well though.

Occassionally at Petrona Tower's food court / shopping mall, I'd occassionally see a very dolled up Middle Eastern women dressed up to the nines as well. But, I also see plenty of Chinese or Korean or other nationalities do that as well. I'm thinking its the same vein that an American women goes topless on a European beach. Not because they are 'looking for something', but solely because its a bit of freedom and feels good, and no other motivation behind it.

Outside of those two places, its quite doubtful I'd see that so much though anywhere else in KL/Malaysia with the Middle Easterners.
Lol yes i agree, i even heard stories about middle-eastern women opening up their burqas in the plane and dressed up really "to the nine" before destrination while carrying their LV bags.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:02 PM

199 posts, read 336,395 times
Doesn't "secular Muslim" seem oxymoronic?

Old 02-26-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
Doesn't "secular Muslim" seem oxymoronic?
Well the precise word would probably moderate? and most of the secular are concentrated in the big city, but most Indonesians aren't as Islamic as the middle-east, pakistan or even brunei.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia