U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:09 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,146,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Hmmm never heard of the Khmers being in Malaysia, I think prior to Islam it seems the Malays were mostly animist as far as I know, but I don't know the history of Malaysia all that well.
Well the only thing that i know is that Kelantan is partially Khmers since historically it was once part of the kingdom, but that's about it, because i used to have Kelantanese friend who told me about it. Oh ya that reminds me the orang asli of Semenanjung are animist, but after the Srivijayan conquest there should be some elements of Buddhism getting into Malaysia since the Malays who migrate there from Sumatra are probably Buddhist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 05:25 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Well the only thing that i know is that Kelantan is partially Khmers since historically it was once part of the kingdom, but that's about it, because i used to have Kelantanese friend who told me about it. Oh ya that reminds me the orang asli of Semenanjung are animist, but after the Srivijayan conquest there should be some elements of Buddhism getting into Malaysia since the Malays who migrate there from Sumatra are probably Buddhist.
I've heard there are some descendants of Cham people from central Vietnam in Kelantan, maybe some Khmer too. Most of the Cham there are now Muslim.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:14 PM

318 posts, read 487,827 times
In Indonesia is it considered taboo for Muslim women to date/marry foreign men who are not Muslim ? Or is it not considered a big deal there ? Is it tolerated ?

Old 03-29-2014, 10:01 PM

376 posts, read 743,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
In Indonesia is it considered taboo for Muslim women to date/marry foreign men who are not Muslim ? Or is it not considered a big deal there ? Is it tolerated ?
not taboo, in Indonesia ,women have the right to married with any citizen of any country including western men. even Indo " Eurasian" descent most of them are Mother Javanese Muslim.. etc. very tolerated

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-30-2015 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: Hotlink

Old 03-29-2014, 10:24 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,146,089 times
Quote:
Not at all, in fact they can adopt the husband's Religion if they wish to. But of course dont date women in aceh (acehnese outside aceh are fine), its a taboo there unless the foreigner are muslim or willing to accept islam.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:45 PM

201 posts, read 265,049 times
^ terima kasih ("thank you") my fellow Austronesian for the thorough and informative posts. I wish I could find more research materials about pre-colonial Philippines to learn more about the lost links the Philippines had with Malaysia and Indonesia.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:02 AM

76 posts, read 54,043 times
Muslims in Indonesia are more liberal than the Muslims from Middle Eastern countries, because Indonesian Muslims are somewhat more accepting about the others. While Muslims from Middle Eastern countries are more conservative.

But Aceh province is the most Muslim influenced province in Indonesia that I can think of.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:15 PM

695 posts, read 736,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheng99 View Post
Muslims in Indonesia are more liberal than the Muslims from Middle Eastern countries, because Indonesian Muslims are somewhat more accepting about the others. While Muslims from Middle Eastern countries are more conservative.

But Aceh province is the most Muslim influenced province in Indonesia that I can think of.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. There are many Middle Eastern countries that are relatively liberal (Lebanon, Tunisia, Turkey and even most of Egypt to be honest) while plenty of majority-muslim countries outside of the ME are relatively conservative (Pakistan, northern Sudan, Somalia for example)

Old 10-30-2015, 01:07 PM

18,536 posts, read 9,580,194 times
Quote:
This may have been a family requirement but an American guy, who is an avowed atheist, I worked with in Saudi had to 'fake convert' to Islam before he married. It worked so well that now he pretends to be Islamist in Saudi and gets promoted and invited to Saudi social events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia