Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:27 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
What happened to the Mahaphit? Why did they fall apart? They so powerful. Wonder if things would be more harmonious if the mahaphit survived.
There was a power struggle in the empire (Which ended up razing the former capital) that Weakened its rule in its other province and soon all of its tributary state relinquish themself from the empire, and during this era also that Islam is a rising power in Java and soon Majapahit found itself losing its grip in Java to the Muslim Mataram kingdom. Afterwards many members of the royal family, nobility and large number of Javanese Hindus found refuge in Bali. Not sure what would happened if they had survived but i dont think other ethnic group would be happy being under javanese rule and would probably revolted, beside Majapahit empire was a Hindu state and a large number of the ethnic group in parts of Indonesia already converted into Islam, and Indonesia would still face European scramble in the end.

Last edited by Goshio22; 03-27-2014 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 11:33 PM

199 posts, read 336,422 times
^ How was Bali able to resist Islam invasion/influence though? Is it geographically difficult to access?

Old 03-28-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
^ How was Bali able to resist Islam invasion/influence though? Is it geographically difficult to access?
Bali is basically populated by Hindus of Java who resist Islam, so they will do anything in order to block off the Muslims trying to take their new home, they managed to control parts of East Java in Banyuwangi and used it as bulwark point againts the Muslims. Since its an island i suppose it makes it tougher for Muslim kingdom trying to annex it or launch a full scale war againts Bali, and it was a hundred years later that Europeans start their conquest in Indonesia, so it gives them another distraction rather than worrying about the pressence of Balinese kingdoms.

Bali manage to retain its independence even from the Dutch, until the early 1900s when Dutch technological superioty finally played its role. But there is a saying that black magic helped the Balinese and other Indonesian to resist the Dutch power.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:37 PM

199 posts, read 336,422 times
^ In some parts of the Philippines (specifically some of the Visayan-speaking parts), there is an annual festival called Sinulog that "commemorates the Filipino people's pagan origin, and their acceptance of Roman Catholicism."

I was wondering if Indonesia (and Malaysia, if you know) has some sort of celebration or tradition that acknowledges its pre-Islamic past. (Bali is exempted of course).

Last edited by kanjelman7; 03-28-2014 at 05:47 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 05:41 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Not really, it's very close to Java. I think there was a strong desire to protect Balinese culture including Hinduism. Neighbouring Lombok is more Muslim but also has some Hindus.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
^ In some parts of the Philippines (specifically some of the Visayan-speaking parts), there is an annual festival called Sinulog that "commemorates the Filipino people's pagan origin, and their acceptance of Roman Catholicism."

I was wondering if Indonesia (and Malaysia, if you know) has some sort of celebration or tradition that acknowledges its pre-Islamic past. (Bali is exempted of course).
Pre Islamic culture, tales, and believe still lives very well, the Javanese people are however the most unique since they practice it most than others. Black magic and witch doctor (dukun) are practiced all over in Indonesia, particularly in Java and Borneo more. (even the past leader, Sukarno and Suharto have strong believe in dark magic). I guest since we still practice loads of things, we don't really have a festival as a reminder of our pre-Islamic past, there are just too many of them for me to think about them all and try to explain it here.

Dukun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Naloni Mitoni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Tingkeban)
Slametan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (rituals that exist before Islam but are practiced as birthday of Muhammad today)

Most of the dances of the Javanese actually reflects the story of Ramayana and many other Hindu tales:

About Jogja | JOINMUN 2013

There are also some Buddhist influence such as Tedak Siten ceremony in Java, Tedak means to step foot, Siten from Siti means soil, earth, Tedak Siten means to step foot on earth. This ritual depicts someone readiness to face a successful life in the future, with the God’s blessings, with the guidance from the parent, since her/his childhood. Similar to Buddha when he was born.

This practice is practiced by loads of people of different tribes such as the Acehnese and Sumatran Malay (Turun Tanah), Palu in central Celebes (Popanuang), and the Minangkabaus (Turun Mandi). I think it used to be practiced in Philippines too, its called tindak in Cebuano.

SOLOPOS.COM : RITUAL TEDAK SITEN - Kirab budaya Babad Kepatihan ritual tedak siten -Feature

Even the more religious Malay (of course not all of them since Malays really varies in Sumatra) have Buong Jong ceremony, which also have its another version in Java and Bali, that includes connecting the sea spirit. try translating this if you are interested: Upacara Buang Jong | Wisata Sumatera

Buang Jong Traditional Ceremony | Beautiful Indonesia UMM

In some cases Christians also practice paganism practices, such as by the Torajans in Celebes, they keep dead body at home until several years before burying them. The Dayak in Borneo are well-known for their black magic rituals and practice.

I think in Malaysia most of this kind of practices is considered blasphemy, but then i notice they call "bomoh' or witch doctor during the mh370 crisis.

Last edited by Goshio22; 03-28-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Not really, it's very close to Java. I think there was a strong desire to protect Balinese culture including Hinduism. Neighbouring Lombok is more Muslim but also has some Hindus.
There is actually some Muslim community in North eastern Bali, that exist since the Majapahit era, there are also large community of Hindus in Banyuwangi, Java and you can actually notice that the Mosque there stand next to Hindu Temples.

The Hindus of Lombok are actually Balinese rather than the Sasaknese, of course there is Sasaknese Hindus but they're minority, actually some of the Sasaknese practice a blend of Islam and Hinduism which allows them to consume pork, you can totally figure it out here:

Sasak people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-28-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
There is actually some Muslim community in North eastern Bali, that exist since the Majapahit era, there are also large community of Hindus in Banyuwangi, Java and you can actually notice that the Mosque there stand next to Hindu Temples.

The Hindus of Lombok are actually Balinese rather than the Sasaknese, of course there is Sasaknese Hindus but they're minority, actually some of the Sasaknese practice a blend of Islam and Hinduism which allows them to consume pork, you can totally figure it out here:

Sasak people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A blend of Islam and Hinduism? Interesting. Goes to show even the mostly staunchly monotheistic of religions can incorporate these pagan beliefs.

Of course don't forget Malaysia still has that Hindu presence from later Indian immigrants...I don't think the Malay peninsula ever had a Hindu kingdom. I think Sumatra did, didn't it?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
A blend of Islam and Hinduism? Interesting. Goes to show even the mostly staunchly monotheistic of religions can incorporate these pagan beliefs.

Of course don't forget Malaysia still has that Hindu presence from later Indian immigrants...I don't think the Malay peninsula ever had a Hindu kingdom. I think Sumatra did, didn't it?
Hmm Malay peninsula was partially Khmers or Siams (who was into Hinduism then), but the Srivijayan empire who are based in Sumatra was largely Buddhist, so the Malays was probably more into Buddhism rather than Hinduism which were stronger in Java, Borneo and Bali. Yeah the influence of Hinduism in Malaysia is more the modern presence rather than ancient historical, there is very little left of either how Buddhist or Hindu Malay peninsula was..

Old 03-29-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Hmm Malay peninsula was partially Khmers or Siams (who was into Hinduism then), but the Srivijayan empire who are based in Sumatra was largely Buddhist, so the Malays was probably more into Buddhism rather than Hinduism which were stronger in Java, Borneo and Bali. Yeah the influence of Hinduism in Malaysia is more the modern presence rather than ancient historical, there is very little left of either how Buddhist or Hindu Malay peninsula was..
Hmmm never heard of the Khmers being in Malaysia, I think prior to Islam it seems the Malays were mostly animist as far as I know, but I don't know the history of Malaysia all that well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia