Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:37 AM

4,701 posts, read 4,041,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The research (2005) is to study how Iodine consumption affects IQ among children. From the result we can also have an idea about the IQ distribution in China.

Children in the Construction Corps have an average IQ of 119.5. Zhejiang Province 115.8, Shanghai 115.3, Beijing 114.1.

Tibet has only 77.3 on average, with very low Iodine level from urine test. Guangdong (one of the richest provinces in China) has 101.1, below China's average.
Guangdong, one of the richest province in China?!

Guangdong has a gdp per capita (ppp) of 12923, Tianjin has a gdp per capita of 22242. Beijing and shanghai is not far behind. Guangdong has the richest cities in China, but it is not the richest province. Shenzen for instance has a gdp per capita of around 28000.

Also I doubt this iq test. Seems to me it just tested how good the kids are in Maths, and not their potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 12:16 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,684,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post

Guangdong has a gdp per capita (ppp) of 12923, Tianjin has a gdp per capita of 22242. Beijing and shanghai is not far behind. Guangdong has the richest cities in China, but it is not the richest province. Shenzen for instance has a gdp per capita of around 28000.

Also I doubt this iq test. Seems to me it just tested how good the kids are in Maths, and not their potential.
What???

Beijing is a city, not a province. (Though it has the political power as a province, just like Washington DC.)
Tianjin is a city, not a province.
Shanghai is a city, not a province.
Now let me know how many provinces are richer than Guangdong.

The IQ test used Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC), and has nothing to do with math. I don't even know why you mentioned math? Totally out of nowhere. Why you argue something with zero bits of evidence?

Old 03-01-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
What???

Beijing is a city, not a province. (Though it has the political power as a province, just like Washington DC.)
Tianjin is a city, not a province.
Shanghai is a city, not a province.
Now let me know how many provinces are richer than Guangdong.

The IQ test used Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC), and has nothing to do with math. I don't even know why you mentioned math? Totally out of nowhere. Why you argue something with zero bits of evidence?
Do you know anything about China?

In China there are 34 provinces that can be divided into municipalities, provinces, autonomous regions and special administrative regions.

As you mentioned both Beijing and Tibet you cannot pretend you meant lower level province. And even if we did Jiangsu would still crush Guangdong.

Provinces of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I mentioned Maths because a lot of iq test math knowledge instead of iq. I believe that is the case for this test because the internal differences in China are not that big.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:47 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,189,250 times
Quote:

Guangdong has always been considered ONE of the richest provinces by all measures in China. I don't know what there is to argue about it there. It's similar when measuring US states. California has the highest overall GDP, but its GDP per capita is not the highest, being higher in Connecticut and other smaller states. But in the end, it's still considered one of the richest states.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Guangdong has always been considered ONE of the richest provinces by all measures in China. I don't know what there is to argue about it there. It's similar when measuring US states. California has the highest overall GDP, but its GDP per capita is not the highest, being higher in Connecticut and other smaller states. But in the end, it's still considered one of the richest states.
It is considered rich because historically it was one of the richest areas and people are not updated with the new knowledge. Also Shenzen and Guangzhou is one of the richest cities in China.

But neither California or Guangdong is the richest area today because their gdp per capita is not that high. Richness is measured in gdp per capita or else India would be considered rich.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Do you know anything about China?

In China there are 34 provinces that can be divided into municipalities, provinces, autonomous regions and special administrative regions.

As you mentioned both Beijing and Tibet you cannot pretend you meant lower level province. And even if we did Jiangsu would still crush Guangdong.

Provinces of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I mentioned Maths because a lot of iq test math knowledge instead of iq. I believe that is the case for this test because the internal differences in China are not that big.
You don't need to lecture me because I am from China.

Obviously you don't know Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjin are all cities, not provinces. Yes politically they are equal to provinces (municipality directly under the Central Government) but they do not have as much rural population (in terms of %) as provinces, so it does not make sense to compare Beijing with Guangdong at all. Just check a map, how big Beijing is, how big Guangdong is.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
It is considered rich because historically it was one of the richest areas and people are not updated with the new knowledge. Also Shenzen and Guangzhou is one of the richest cities in China.

But neither California or Guangdong is the richest area today because their gdp per capita is not that high. Richness is measured in gdp per capita or else India would be considered rich.
Don't pretend to know China. Ask anyone in China if Guangdong is one of the richest provinces, the answer is definitely a big YES.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Don't pretend to know China. Ask anyone in China if Guangdong is one of the richest provinces, the answer is definitely a big YES.
I just did before you asked me and she just laughed of the thought that Guangdong is the richest province in China.

She said he is probably saying it because he is from Guangdong.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:
I just did before you asked me and she just laughed of the thought that Guangdong is the richest province in China.

She said he is probably saying it because he is from Guangdong.
Why change my words? I said "one of the richest".
So what did she tell you? Ask her which provinces are the richest.

Even if you ask if Guangdong is the richest, many people in China will say yes. (though it is not an accurate answer.)

I am not from Guangdong either.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:49 AM

Quote:
You don't need to lecture me because I am from China.

Obviously you don't know Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjin are all cities, not provinces. Yes politically they are equal to provinces (municipality directly under the Central Government) but they do not have as much rural population (in terms of %) as provinces, so it does not make sense to compare Beijing with Guangdong at all. Just check a map, how big Beijing is, how big Guangdong is.
Haha, just because you are from China does not mean you have a clue about China. There are lots of stupid people in China, (and smart people)

Just because you think they are not comparable does not mean I should not use the official definition. And as pointed out using your alternative definition Jiangsu is the richest province.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia