Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 05:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amren View Post
Do you have links to that American Study?

And have you seen this study:

China map of The IQ average score of China (mainland) by Sheng / Provinces,Zhíxiáshì / Municipalities,Zìzhì - TargetMap

Zhejiang is only at 103.

All are below 110, which is more reliable.
Your link has absolutely no source defined, and the result does not make a lot of sense to anyone who is familiar with China.

My source:
User:Shokioto22/sandbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually Hong Kong is 108, not 106.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 05:25 PM

24 posts, read 34,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Your link has absolutely no source defined, and the result does not make a lot of sense to anyone who is familiar with China.

My source:
User:Shokioto22/sandbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually Hong Kong is 108, not 106.
Yes, it doesn't have any sources, which is why I was hoping maybe you can confirm its accuracy.

I am not claiming it is accurate, but why doesn't the result make sense to someone who knows china?

what about this map:

All are below 110, once again.

This was an internet study, which suggests that the results are skewed towards the higher end.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, it doesn't have any sources, which is why I was hoping maybe you can confirm its accuracy.

I am not claiming it is accurate, but why doesn't the result make sense to someone who knows china?

what about this map:
I have seen this map before, and it was originally posted by some website which allows people to test their "IQ" online. So the method is not quite reliable because the participants are not randomly selected and their test questions may not be standard (I don't know).

Generally speaking, there are some steretypes about regional IQs. They are not accurate as all stereotypes are not, but make sense to some extent. China also has a national college entrance exam, and the average scores, admission scores etc. of each province are published.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:38 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,861,445 times
Quote:
The research (2005) is to study how Iodine consumption affects IQ among children. From the result we can also have an idea about the IQ distribution in China.

Children in the Construction Corps have an average IQ of 119.5. Zhejiang Province 115.8, Shanghai 115.3, Beijing 114.1.

Tibet has only 77.3 on average, with very low Iodine level from urine test. Guangdong (one of the richest provinces in China) has 101.1, below China's average.
Tibet's is low because the Chinese haven't built schools in much of rural Tibet, yet. Only in the cities.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:38 PM

24 posts, read 34,954 times
Quote:
I have seen this map before, and it was originally posted by some website which allows people to test their "IQ" online. So the method is not quite reliable because the participants are not randomly selected and their test questions may not be standard (I don't know).

Generally speaking, there are some steretypes about regional IQs. They are not accurate as all stereotypes are not, but make sense to some extent. China also has a national college entrance exam, and the average scores, admission scores etc. of each province are published.
Do you have the scores to the college entrance exam for each province?

Old 10-19-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Do you have the scores to the college entrance exam for each province?
If you read Chinese, you can search 各省高考录取线。
Data in the 1990s may be the best because all provinces had the same papers back then. Now every province has its own test.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:59 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,608 times
Quote:
The research (2005) is to study how Iodine consumption affects IQ among children. From the result we can also have an idea about the IQ distribution in China.

Children in the Construction Corps have an average IQ of 119.5. Zhejiang Province 115.8, Shanghai 115.3, Beijing 114.1.

Tibet has only 77.3 on average, with very low Iodine level from urine test. Guangdong (one of the richest provinces in China) has 101.1, below China's average.
Unless you have a good set of control variables, it is literally impossible to draw any conclusions.

I am as suspicious of the low IQ ratings as I am of the averages around 120.

Take the data with a salt mine.

S.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:00 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,903 times
The things is, this was most likely a math knowledge test, not an IQ test. That means they asked questions like
"How many triangles are there in this object" instead of a common IQ questions. For Tibetian kids it will be the first time they see questions like that, for kids in Zhejiang it won't be new at all.

That would explain the large differences in scores between Tibet and Zhejiang Province.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
The things is, this was most likely a math knowledge test, not an IQ test. That means they asked questions like
"How many triangles are there in this object" instead of a common IQ questions. For Tibetian kids it will be the first time they see questions like that, for kids in Zhejiang it won't be new at all.

That would explain the large differences in scores between Tibet and Zhejiang Province.
That would explain a part of it (but still needs proof), but not all of it.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:45 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,903 times
Quote:
That would explain a part of it (but still needs proof), but not all of it.
Of course there is still differences between Tibetian kids and Zhejiang kids, but I doubt the difference is 40 IQ points. Also, I doubt there is such a huge difference between Guangdong and Zhejiang. What is more likely is that Guangdong kids do not study as hard.

If I was going to guess the figures, I would guess something like
Zhejiang: 110
Guangdong: 105
Tibet: 90

But remember that is just a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia