U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 03:38 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,146,089 times

Advertisements

This 2 wonderful city have large collection of beautiful colonial architecture than many places in Asia, now which is to you is the more better city that is more beautiful and in terms of being "London" and represent British heritage more, of course being London doesn't mean either of them can match the real deal in terms of most things.

Rangoon/Yangon, Myanmar

City Hall

Yangon City Hall | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

High court

High Court Building, Yangon, Myanmar (Burma) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

yangon heritage-0922_0629_DSC_4641 Panorama | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Preserving Heritage Buildings in Yangon: History and Challenges | Hong Kong | Asia Society

Beautiful British Colonial Building, Yangon, Myanmar (Burma) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Rangoon, Burma | James Mackay

The Secretariat - Rangoon in Botahtaung, Yangon Myanmar - Attraction: Myanmar Business Directory

Bombay/Mumbai, India

Victoria Terminus, Mumbai

On Streets of Mumbai

Mumbai's Colonial Architecture - SkyscraperCity

Mumbai colonial architecture

SBI Main Branch

J.N.Petit Public Library

Exploring India 2009 – Mumbai (Bombay) | BenLeow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 06:07 AM

5,599 posts, read 2,906,513 times
Thanks for those pics. I had no idea those cities had so many western style buildings, especially Yangon. Myanmar is such a closed country that you don't see or hear much of.

Is Myanmar a safe place to visit?

Old 03-01-2014, 06:18 AM

376 posts, read 743,218 times
Goshio : ..I think the buildings Dutch are not less beautiful buildings from building the British in Asia, whether you do not make a thread about heritage beautiful buildings colonial ( Dutch ) in Indonesia ^ ^

Old 03-01-2014, 07:17 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
I think Singapore should be in the mix:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...w=1309&bih=669

Plus in general it's the closest thing to London in Asia.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Thanks for those pics. I had no idea those cities had so many western style buildings, especially Yangon. Myanmar is such a closed country that you don't see or hear much of.

Is Myanmar a safe place to visit?
I think it's pretty safe a lot of tourist has done so to visit the temple city of Bagan and roam around Rangoon's Strand Road to adore it's colonial beauty, as far concerned none of them are harmed and the people are friendly too. Myanmar have loads of attractions that you can imagine and only the regime are holding it back, but lucky for you things are slowly changing for Myanmar. It's not as touristy as Thailand (yet) so the people don't generally see you as walking ATM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
Goshio : ..I think the buildings Dutch are not less beautiful buildings from building the British in Asia, whether you do not make a thread about heritage beautiful buildings colonial ( Dutch ) in Indonesia ^ ^
Less impressive is to correct world lol and not very well maintained in some cities, the British built impressive buildings that pars with London itself compared to what Dutch build in Indonesia. I agree that the Dutch build beautiful buildings but as they built in Netherlands, they're small. In Jakarta the ex-headquarter of Nederlands Indische there are very little building that can par with those i posted in Rangoon and Bombay. (except it's cathedral which is an excellent architecture)

Its a shame that Indonesian government do not fully enforce itself to protect the Dutch heritage, without the Dutch, Indonesia wouldn't even exist! not that i am pro-colonial but there are good reasons why we as Indonesian should protect the heritages. If you enjoy colonial architecture you should try researching it yourself, there are loads of pretty Dutch mansions/Bungalow at Malang in an area called Mlebu Lawang, unlike Jakarta's Menteng neighborhood, Malang's colonial mansions are safe from mass destruction and ignorant rich fools who are abdominatingly are renovating the mansions in Menteng.

There are reason why Malang was called "Parijis van Oost Java"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think Singapore should be in the mix:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...w=1309&bih=669

Plus in general it's the closest thing to London in Asia.
Not by the quality of colonial buildings the British built in Singapore, the colonial building there are smaller by scale and less impressive.

Last edited by Goshio22; 03-01-2014 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: M

Old 03-01-2014, 08:41 AM

6,993 posts, read 9,540,264 times
British heritage without British humor and British wit is pointless.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
British heritage without British humor and British wit is pointless.
Well atleast it used to those buildings in Rangoon definitely reminds me London by a lot.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:43 AM

6,993 posts, read 9,540,264 times
Forgot to add British nudity.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 AM

376 posts, read 743,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Less impressive is to correct world lol and not very well maintained in some cities, the British built impressive buildings that pars with London itself compared to what Dutch build in Indonesia. I agree that the Dutch build beautiful buildings but as they built in Netherlands, they're small. In Jakarta the ex-headquarter of Nederlands Indische there are very little building that can par with those i posted in Rangoon and Bombay. (except it's cathedral which is an excellent architecture)
I do not think so, the evidence in Jakarta all "Dutch colonial" heritage buildings so protected. I just saw in the "Kota Tua " (North Jakarta) ... some of the colonial buildings are so dirty but some not, have been fused with ancient Chinese buildings, but in Jakarta other areas such as : Jln . sudirman, Block M, Monas etc. .. Dutch buildings still so beautiful, sturdy and neat.I recently found out that some government offices in Jakarta is a former Dutch heritage building ^ ^
British Colonies like India, Singapore and Malaysia, the people of these countries have English language skills are very good .. while speak English ,,, Indonesians " Oh My God "still have much to learn ^ ^

Old 03-01-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
I do not think so, the evidence in Jakarta all "Dutch colonial" heritage buildings so protected. I just saw in the "Kota Tua " (North Jakarta) ... some of the colonial buildings are so dirty but some not, have been fused with ancient Chinese buildings, but in Jakarta other areas such as : Jln . sudirman, Block M, Monas etc. .. Dutch buildings still so beautiful, sturdy and neat.I recently found out that some government offices in Jakarta is a former Dutch heritage building ^ ^
British Colonies like India, Singapore and Malaysia, the people of these countries have English language skills are very good .. while speak English ,,, Indonesians " Oh My God "still have much to learn ^ ^
No no the buildings in old town jakarta are very dilapitated and abandoned, you dont live here so you dont know, the renovation is this march. Last month one of the building collasped too. And what chinese building exactly? Do you mean the small shophouses that mostly have been demolished?

And what colonial building in sudirman there are none there left, and it used to be slums area of batavia and today are business district, and blok m?? You are obviously very clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or