U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 01:40 PM

723 posts, read 2,798,311 times

Advertisements

...and I need some information.

Anyone here live in or spend extensive time in Jerusalem and Israel?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,470,920 times
I was there back in May, in Israel for 2.5 weeks, spending five days in Jerusalem, so I may be of some limited assistance. Feel free to ask away.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 PM

Ok for starters, cultural do's and don'ts?

Old 12-04-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Ok for starters, cultural do's and don'ts?
I can't think of all that many cultural do's and don'ts as Israeli culture tends to be fairly similar to American culture. Some general advice though:

Be patient with security checkpoints, especially in the airport. It is normal to be stopped and interrogated in the airport, sometimes for long periods of time. Try not to stress over it and simply be cooperative and answer their questions.

Wandering around a religious portion of the city, whether it be Jewish or Muslim, if in a distinctly residential and neighborhood-y area, you are likely to feel somewhat uncomfortable, with stares upon you, and it's best if you choose to explore these areas to not be overly touristy (i.e. taking pictures of the people) just for your own comfort. They don't really welcome outsiders or like being seen as a tourist attraction.

In conversation, you may want to steer clear of sensitive regional-specific issues like Hezbollah, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the war in Iraq. There's no need to try to push those buttons, although I'm sure provided a proper setting, you could have a very informative debate and/or conversation on the issues with the locals. It's one of those things where you'd have to feel out the situation.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:23 PM

All good information.

I've also visited Lonely Planet's website, and wikipedia looking for info. I'll be buying some books soon for loose translation, and such- but all info is appreciated!

Old 12-04-2007, 09:42 PM

Lonely Planet is a very good guidebook. I'd recommend it. As for language issues, it can't hurt to try to learn a few phrases in Hebrew, but the majority of Israelis speak English and most all the tourist sites are English-friendly, as are ATMs. I didn't speak a lick of Hebrew and managed to get by fine.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Lonely Planet is a very good guidebook. I'd recommend it. As for language issues, it can't hurt to try to learn a few phrases in Hebrew, but the majority of Israelis speak English and most all the tourist sites are English-friendly, as are ATMs. I didn't speak a lick of Hebrew and managed to get by fine.
Nice. Good to know! And yes, I'd like to learn how to say hello, thank you, please, and excuse me in Hebrew. Those are the basics of etiquette.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 12-06-2007, 11:43 AM

563 posts, read 3,475,508 times
hello = Shalom
Thank you = Todah
Please = Bevakasha
Excuse me = Slikhah
Bathroom = shirutim

Mostly you can get by with English. I hope you are travelling with a tour group or guide since things can be downright dangerous in certain areas around Israel. A friend of mine on a semester abroad thought it would 'cool' to spend Christmas in Bethlehem and was treated horribly by the locals once they realized she was American.

If walking around in Religious neighborhoods (Jewish) remember that there are rules of decorum. I'm assuming you are a man so things are a little easier for you but for women there are rules about covering your knees, shoulders, etc. Mostly the orthodox will ignore tourists but will not welcome your driving through their neighborhoods on the shabbat. If you drive, that it. Driving in Israel is very similar to the states but quite a bit wilder.
Jerusalem has its more conservative areas and its more modern areas. There are certain areas which are more prone to terrorist attacks as well. Good luck. Do your research and take care.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:26 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,420,976 times
Lived and worked there for 5 years. Family there. DM me for detailed info.

A lot depends on exactly where you are going and what you will be doing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or