Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 06:44 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,782,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Daisy View Post
I cannot understand why these people are so cruel to conduct this supreme act of inhumanity, and they stabbed everyone they meet no matter who it was. The kids and old people could not escape this violence. In my opinion, no matter how much inequity and hatred you suffer, you cannot put a whole nation or the innocent people as revenge target.
Agreed. It's a bit like the IRA bombings in the 80s and 90s. Well some of these perps were shot, but I agree, whatever motivations or grievances should not lessen their guilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 11:07 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
I didn't realize there were Uyghurs in Yunnan province. I thought they were only in Xinjiang.
There are Uyghyrs all over China; like everyone else, they move to where the opportunities are. There are a fair number in Guangzhou who own restaurants, barbecue carts, bakeries, etc who most Chinese are entirely OK with. There's a Halal restaurant owned by Uyghyrs across the street from me; really good food, and super-nice people. It's sickening that a group of zealots would carry out an attack on innocent people, in the name of people who want nothing to do with such actions.

Those separatist groups in Xinjiang or going to get it pretty nasty after this, though... China doesn't F around in situations like this.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:25 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,247 times
Is there any particular group or groups associated with the recent attacks, or is it just "Uighurs?"

Old 03-03-2014, 01:59 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Is there any particular group or groups associated with the recent attacks, or is it just "Uighurs?"
As of right now, I'm not aware of any specific group claiming responsibility, though according to Chinese media, a hand-painted Eat Turkistan flag was found at the scene, which would indicate that it was carried out by Turkestan Separatists. It's a somewhat complicated situation; you have separatists who believe that Xinjiang should be its own country based not exclusively on religion so much as ethnicity and culture; you have separatists who believe that Xinjiang should be part of a pan-Turkic union or even nation that comprises Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan in addition to Xinjiang and other areas and provinces around those places; and then you have Muslim separatists who believe that Xinjiang should separate from China based on religious tradition.

These groups have interests that at turns intersect and diverge, and so in some situations they will gladly cooperate; in others, they are at odds with one another. Participation and involvement also ranges from a passive/philosophical belief cultural unity that's still respectful of local laws and regulations, to zealots like the ones who carried out this monstrous attack. Whether they're part of a larger, more organized group, or were an autonomous, independent cell is anyone's guess at this point, especially since no specific group has claimed responsibility for the attack (that we're aware of at least).

Old 03-03-2014, 04:37 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,099,511 times
I laugh at the Western media like LA times and CNN who are constantly implying that these Uyghur terrorists are somehow "justified" in doing this because they are "oppressed". I also find many Chinese constantly defending China's preferential treatment of these minority groups pointless. Why do these Chinese even bother with the biased Western media etc?

Just repeat after me...."Hay, Tibet and Xinjiang are both part of China whether you like it or not. The only regret is that China did not follow the American playbook on Indian Removal policies fully when dealing with these people." China's soft policy toward the Tibetans and the Uighurs are the real mistake that China made.

Chinese policy of allowing autonomy is absolutely wrong. The Uyghurs should be forced out of Xinjiang and forced to settled either in the east, or given a one way ticket back to Turkey. The Tibetans can be spread into the Chinese northeast and central plain, where they will intermarry and become Han. There, problem solved and an improvement over the American style because at least no one is lying around a reservation drunk and dying of liver failure.

Last edited by pennyone; 03-03-2014 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 05:13 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,713,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I laugh at the Western media like LA times and CNN who are constantly implying that these Uyghur terrorists are somehow "justified" in doing this because they are "oppressed". I also find many Chinese constantly defending China's preferential treatment of these minority groups pointless. Why do these Chinese even bother with the biased Western media etc?

completely agree with you, and I find it appallingly hypocritical.

Canadian media today published similar BS as if the Chinese government had it coming. What a load of crap.

I particularly despise the double standard they are applying here. The Kunming attack where 28 died was an "assault" (which means NOT terrorist attack), and they go on and on about how oppressed the Uyghurs are, as if such atrocity is to some extend understandable. Fine, but when 911 happened, nobody seems to suggest that maybe the US government's world cop role is the reason? The Boston bombing where 3 people died was defined unequivocally as terrorist attack, how come western media didn't suggest maybe the foreign policy of Washington is partially responsible for such resentment?

Imagine when 911 happen, the Chinese media call this a violent assault and then spent 2000 worlds describing America's interference with world affairs from East Asian to middle East to North Africa, how will the victims' family feel?

Western media just can't help with their filthy and disgusting tactics every time it comes to a country with a different ideology or one who doesn't listen to them. I would rather read newspaper from North Korea than something as dirty and hypocritical as CNN.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
completely agree with you, and I find it appallingly hypocritical.

Would you consider it to be hypocritical that Chinese civilians are suffering from terrorist attacks while China is a close ally to a country that is a state sponsor of terrorism(Pakistan, if it really needs to spelled out)?

Last edited by TylerJAX; 03-03-2014 at 07:44 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 08:09 PM

90 posts, read 203,105 times
Hope you are not forgetting that we are an ally of Pakistan as well. In fact our dealings with Pakistan goes back even further than China's when we were trying to counter India which was leaning towards the Soviets during the Cold War. So we are even bigger hypocrites than the Chinese.

Anyway this is a vicious cycle and it is the average Uyghurs who is going to pay with stepped up policing and increasing suspicion and discrimination. These terrorists are really shooting themselves in the foot. The only way Uyghurs and Tibetans can hope to achieve some degree of autonomy is to tie their struggle for freedom with those of the average Chinese. The Dalai Lama realizes this and preaches non-violence. When you start going down the terrorism path it alienates the vast majority of people and just increases support for hardline policies.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,713,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Would you consider it to be hypocritical that Chinese civilians are suffering from terrorist attacks while China is a close ally to a country that is a state sponsor of terrorism (Pakistan, if it really needs to spelled out)?
How are these two related? Pakistan is a terrorism nation, according to whom, the morally superior western countries?

By your definition, the US is a state sponsor of terrorism too, since it is well known that the US government sponsored both Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein in the past, so I guess it really asked for 911? Wasn't the US supportive of Muammar Gaddafi as well?

Who is being incredibly shamelessly hypocritical here? As long as it suits Washington's political agenda, terrorism, dictatorship, authoritarianism, lack of democracy and human rights, it doesn't matter; once the regime doesn't listen to the US, a bunch of hypocrites immediately stamp them with all sorts of labels and stick to them and employ all the power media outlets to keep brainwashing people around the world, as if the US is somehow superior and really care about the people in those countries. It is sickening, and I thought Americans believe in God and being good Christians!

In reality, the threat and damage caused by the US alone to the world is unmatched by North Korea, Iran, Iraq and Pakistan combined.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceofangel View Post
Hope you are not forgetting that we are an ally of Pakistan as well. In fact our dealings with Pakistan goes back even further than China's when we were trying to counter India which was leaning towards the Soviets during the Cold War. So we are even bigger hypocrites than the Chinese.
This is a Straw-man argument that deflects from the potential hypocrisy of having of having civilians being the victims of terrorist attacks while being an unabashed ally of a state sponsor of terrorism who's gov't is ready and willing to enable terrorists to carry out attacks on civilian targets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia