U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:37 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,012,559 times

Advertisements

Chengdu is awesome, my fave city in China. Lots of great things to see and places to go nearby. Make the most of it. Do your best to learn Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 AM

79,090 posts, read 71,038,664 times
How big is the Tibetan presence in Chengdu, and has there been much unrest there the last couple of years due to ethnic issues? Are there Uighurs in Chengdu, as well? I always enjoy ethnic diversity.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:08 PM

268 posts, read 326,783 times
There is a huge Tibetan population in Chengdu as it is the closest city major city before you hit the Tibetan region. They call Chengdu the gateway to Tibet. There is a section of the city that is mostly Tibetan people and there are quite a few Uighurs as well. They mostly work as street/food vendors and look much different than Han Chinese. I know I've confused many of them for Europeans, then they start talking Chinese to you, hah.

When I first moved there they were advising people to stay out of the Tibetan district because of the riots that were happening elsewhere. Though I never witnessed or heard of much unrest happening in Chengdu. People seem to get along well enough and were very friendly.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:00 PM

6 posts, read 19,007 times
I really appreciate all your help and information (and the good questions that I hadn't even thought to ask!). It will make the transition much smoother for me!

Old 03-10-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Chengdu is awesome, my fave city in China. Lots of great things to see and places to go nearby. Make the most of it. Do your best to learn Chinese.
Thanks! I am trying to learn Mandarin for sure. I have a few months, and am actively trying to learn what I can, although I don't get a lot of practice.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:10 PM

79,090 posts, read 71,038,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsy4u View Post
I really appreciate all your help and information (and the good questions that I hadn't even thought to ask!). It will make the transition much smoother for me!
I envy you having this opportunity. I'd love to be able to go, and also get out into the rural areas to see the nomadic way of life.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:50 PM

I really am very excited. I have been researching and asking questions everywhere now. Sometimes I think I might be asking the same question twice, but if it gets me new info, that is not a bad thing. I really look forward to sightseeing anywhere there than I can get to.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:37 AM

1 posts, read 936 times
if the school provide the accommodation, things will be much more easier. The school will also offer food so don't need to spend too much on these major things

Old 10-18-2016, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
I lived in Chengdu for 4 years. It is much less expensive than Beijing or Shanghai, but prices on housing, food, taxi's, etc., have gone up quite a bit over the past several years.

Depending on where you live in the city, average rent ranges from 1400-2200rmb for a decent place. Within the first ring road it's at least 1800+ for a somewhat modern place. Between the 2nd and 1st ring road, at least 1500. Outside the 3rd ring road, you can probably find a place for 1200. The majority of foreigners live in the South part of the city, which is nicer, and a bit more expensive than other areas.

Where are you planning on teaching? The range of salaries for teachers in Chengdu is typically anywhere from 6000-9000/month.

There are lots of things to do and see in Chengdu. It is a large, vibrant city with awesome food and laid-back people. But be warned, there are much fewer expats in this city than other larger cities on the coast. As a result, locals have far less exposure to westerners. If you are put off by constant stares and people that can be very uncivilized, you might be in for a nasty shock. Have you been to China before? Being able to speak some basic Chinese is useful as most locals will not be able to communicate in English. And unless you constantly live in the expat bubble, it also helps to "fit in" a bit more and make Chinese friends. I find the expats in Chengdu to be a bit more open-minded and adventurous than people that go to the large coastal cities.

There is barely any crime. Like most of China, pick-pockets at worse and the occasional bar brawl. You'll probably have something stolen (or lost) off your body if you stay long enough, especially if you look like a tourist.

Ask me about any specifics, I'll probably be able to answer.
Hi there,

I am moving to Chengdu in mid January '17 and was wondering if there are any particular areas that are better to live in as far as a few English speaking persons. I don't plan to live in the expat bubble, but a little translation help as I learn the language might be helpful. Also, are there any tips on language learning schools or is it just best to learn a little ahead of time and just learn via immersion?

Any other advice at all would be much appreciated. Housing especially, that's my next step.

Thanks

Old 10-18-2016, 11:02 PM

149 posts, read 138,097 times
Arrow Some Mandarin IS required

Don't know about English bubbles. It's a VERY big city & area. Been there half a dozen times visiting relatives & mainly sight seeing. English is rarely spoken by anyone ... Mandarin, Tibetan & their dialects are all Ive herd there.

Some Mandarin is required

If you CAN FIND an English bubble, it would be a good place to start
good luck -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia