U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,854,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Most Filipino people I know have an English first name and Spanish last name. I don't know any children of Filipino immigrants who have non-English first names. Whereas I don't know any children of Indian immigrants who DO have an English first name that isn't a nickname. What gives?
Yes many Filipinos ( especially the children now ) have English names but there are also some who still maintain having Spanish names like Miguel, Carlos, Juan Miguel, Antonio, Eduardo, Alberto, Albertito, Aurelio, Ana, Betina, Corazon , Consuelo, Carina, Lourdes etc. Italian names are also getting trendy these days.
I actually wish Philippines will have some stricter rules when it comes to names because some parents just give any names that sound horrible and some do not really go with our last names or some are horrible because they are taken from the royal family like the children of Manny Pacquiao ( Queen Elizabeth and Princess Beatrice ) there are also some Prince Arthur, Lord Byron etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 10:04 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,970,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Yes many Filipinos ( especially the children now ) have English names but there are also some who still maintain having Spanish names like Miguel, Carlos, Juan Miguel, Antonio, Eduardo, Alberto, Albertito, Aurelio, Ana, Betina, Corazon , Consuelo, Carina, Lourdes etc. Italian names are also getting trendy these days.
I actually wish Philippines will have some stricter rules when it comes to names because some parents just give any names that sound horrible and some do not really go with our last names or some are horrible because they are taken from the royal family like the children of Manny Pacquiao ( Queen Elizabeth and Princess Beatrice ) there are also some Prince Arthur, Lord Byron etc.
Now I remember Nina Ricci Alagao taken from a fashion brand named Nina Ricci lol

Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 AM

939 posts, read 1,262,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
It would be fake and silly to call myself or name my kid "Michael."
It would be silly to not give your kid an English name if he or she is going to be born and raised in the U.S.

It is very baffling because almost every other minority community in the U.S. gives their child an English name, even if it is in addition to a traditional name. For example, can you tell from their first name that Joseph Lieberman and Eric Cantor are Jewish?

Old 03-10-2014, 10:25 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,259,807 times
Quote:
It would be silly to not give your kid an English name if he or she is going to be born and raised in the U.S.

It is very baffling because almost every other minority community in the U.S. gives their child an English name, even if it is in addition to a traditional name. For example, can you tell from their first name that Joseph Lieberman and Eric Cantor are Jewish?
Funny you say that because Joseph is of course a Jewish name to begin with haha...

Why silly? As long as it's not too hard to pronounce I don't see why you SHOULD give your kid an 'English' name (which is of course a misnomer, maybe a Western Judaeo-Christian name).

Old 03-10-2014, 05:17 PM

2,299 posts, read 3,400,041 times
Quote:
On what grounds is it silly? There are simply no English equivalents to Hindu names.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:51 PM

939 posts, read 1,262,412 times
Have a Hindu name plus an English name they use legally and in their everyday life in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or