U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:42 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Huh? What are you talking about? Every post including this whole thread is written today.
He's talking about the popularity of Korean pop culture. I don't know about late 90s, I think it reached its peak around the mid 2000s. I don't know how popular Korea is today regionally though. Usually its regional neighbors don't fall out of interest until later than the West.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:01 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,888,807 times
Don't see it surpassing Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hong Kong but certainly a rapid increase for at least the next few years. This Korean wave actually hasn't been more popular than it is now. This wave is even stronger now than it was 5-6 yrs go.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:19 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,256,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
This thread is a couple years late. The 'Korean Wave' has already passed its zenith. The correct answer is that yes, tourism to South Korea already has increased due to the 'Korean Wave.' In 2000 South Korea attracted 5 million international visitors, but more than doubled that number in 2013. It's still somewhat off the radar for Western tourists, so how much more it can grow in the future depends much on Chinese visitors who make up over a third of all SK tourists.
How do you know that? I'm not a big fan of K-pop nor know much about it, but I find it interesting that another cultural force is at least challenging and, in Asia, actually superseding American influence (for a change) even if it is culturally still based on that template. Globally, at least, K-pop is more popular than ever. Not talking about Asia but around the world.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:08 PM

34 posts, read 99,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think it already has increased tourism from the rest of Asia (as well as South Korea only recently trying to market itself as a tourist destination) but I'm wondering if the 'Korean wave' (K-pop, K-dramas, Korean food, culture) will make a significant impact in the number of tourists visiting South Korea from outside Asia. Despite the popularity of Japanese culture, visitor numbers to Japan remain surprisingly low, partly due to the obvious cost, distance from eastern North America and western Europe, and language barrier. I think Korea is noticeably cheaper at least for now, so maybe there's a brief window before prices become more like Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore?

Korean culture definitely is unique, and Seoul is a unique city, but I think Korea will still be overshadowed as a tourism destination by China and Japan. I wonder just how much visitor numbers will increase over the years. As they stand a surprising 10 million or so, vs 7 million for Japan, visit, but many are from China.
kim jong and psy - they rock

Old 03-15-2014, 07:37 AM

816 posts, read 1,556,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
How do you know that? I'm not a big fan of K-pop nor know much about it, but I find it interesting that another cultural force is at least challenging and, in Asia, actually superseding American influence (for a change) even if it is culturally still based on that template. Globally, at least, K-pop is more popular than ever. Not talking about Asia but around the world.
Nope, Kpop peaked around 2011-2012. In Japan, groups like TVXQ, Girls'Generation and KARA used to used to sell 500k+ albums but now they can't even break half of that. BoA, Se7en and Wonder Girls all debuted in the US market and bombed. On Youtube, groups that used to get 30+ million views struggle to even get 10. PSY had a genuine breakthrough with Gangnam Style, but he's an exception, the only one actually. Of course, I'm not saying that Kpop is dead or even dying, just that it's peaked and has actually dropped off quite a bit. Anime (and Japanese pop culture in general) peaked a long time ago but it keeps trucking along and has still has avid fans worldwide. Such will probably be the case with Korean pop culture.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:50 AM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,888,807 times
There are more Kpop groups now than ever which is why you see less views for certain groups...if anything, there are too many groups now due to the popularity(though i think it could be their downfall), but make no mistake, Youtube has increased the popularity even more so, also you see an increasing trend of hip-hop/pop combo type of groups....seems to be a real trend. Also, many people are posting albums online for free download so i can certainly see album sales decreasing. My friend was able to download an entire group's album a few days ago. It was posted on Youtube and other sites. Also, the popularity of pop bands has been seen more.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:28 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,476,488 times
KPOP I wish was more popular in the states.

Other than PSY 's 1 hit, K POP hasnt had much crossover popular success in the states

btw: CL from 2NE1 is way better singer and rapper than Miley Cyrus

Old 03-15-2014, 02:03 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,476,488 times
btw, SISTAR and Nine Muses and 2NE1 and KARA are good KPOP girl groups IMO (just my cents on KPOP music)

Old 03-18-2014, 03:14 AM

4 posts, read 8,899 times
K pop is about popular music, tv and movies. Tourism is not totally equal to popular culture.

Korean stars are having increasing activities and income from outside Korea.
Now Korean women and men are regarded as good-looking & trendy throughout Asia and other countries' people want to look like them.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 AM

42 posts, read 61,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by house_gold View Post
South Korea rises as Japan falls in every field since the end of Japan's economic miracle in the 1990s.
That is a bit sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia