U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2015, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,780 posts, read 5,137,786 times
Reputation: 4571

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccardi123 View Post
Some friends went there for a week and that's what they say. I am not american nor black so I wonder how do they perceive someone who's not like that? Thanks.
So silly. If that's the case then the entire Asia should look like Brazil now.

 
Old 02-02-2015, 11:14 PM
 
Location: New York City
66 posts, read 155,407 times
Reputation: 42
Most of you have antiquated ideas of how the world works. I am black American. I have a Japanese wife and a korean girlfriend. My wife's Japanese friends date guys of all races, especially black. Her parents didn't bat an eye when we first started dating. It's not unusual or rare, the exception are you close minded people still desperately clinging to your racist ideals and stereotypes.
 
Old 02-03-2015, 12:19 PM
 
6,730 posts, read 6,621,256 times
Reputation: 2386
I know a lot of Chinese students studying overseas (because I was one). The vast majority of the female students still date and marry Chinese. If someone dates an American it becomes news in the community, but it happens too.

I only know a few female Japanese students. They all happened to be single the whole time I knew them. But, I know two female Japanese professors and each of them married a white American.

While in China and Japan, I believe most women prefer their fellow men.
 
Old 02-03-2015, 04:17 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,209,382 times
Reputation: 11624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I know a lot of Chinese students studying overseas (because I was one). The vast majority of the female students still date and marry Chinese. If someone dates an American it becomes news in the community, but it happens too.

I only know a few female Japanese students. They all happened to be single the whole time I knew them. But, I know two female Japanese professors and each of them married a white American.

While in China and Japan, I believe most women prefer their fellow men.
Most people, and by most I mean more than 95%, date within their own ethnic groups and countries of origin.

If that wasn't the case, like Greysholic said, east Asia should look like Brazil, but that's not happening. So both of you are right.
 
Old 02-04-2015, 12:35 AM
 
456 posts, read 664,842 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by raecino View Post
Most of you have antiquated ideas of how the world works. I am black American. I have a Japanese wife and a korean girlfriend. My wife's Japanese friends date guys of all races, especially black. Her parents didn't bat an eye when we first started dating. It's not unusual or rare, the exception are you close minded people still desperately clinging to your racist ideals and stereotypes.
Cheating on your wife already I see....

It depends on the family and ethnicity. I personally would be strongly against my daughter marrying a black person or any person outside of my culture, because I want my family to be part of the same culture, such racial and cultural mixes bring forth disunified families and cultural misunderstandings.
 
Old 02-04-2015, 01:56 AM
 
1,689 posts, read 2,229,205 times
Reputation: 1389
Japanese girls didnt seem very impressed with American men (black or white) during the time I spent in Japan

they just didnt care, it's common to see white and black people around tokyo so just because you're white that doesnt mean people are gonna ask for your autograph, they won't even look at you!!

I think its rather white men especially having delusions of grandeur because they're white, thinking that japanese women are gonna go crazy over them

japanese girls prefer japanese men (Same culture, same people, same values etc.) rather than marrying some snobby arrogant ignorant smelly hairy westerner
 
Old 02-04-2015, 02:51 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,783 posts, read 13,376,732 times
Reputation: 11313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Japanese girls didnt seem very impressed with American men (black or white) during the time I spent in Japan

they just didnt care, it's common to see white and black people around tokyo so just because you're white that doesnt mean people are gonna ask for your autograph, they won't even look at you!!

I think its rather white men especially having delusions of grandeur because they're white, thinking that japanese women are gonna go crazy over them
What I've learned in my time in Asia is that just because someone looks at you, doesn't mean it's positive or negative, that they find you unattractive or attractive... they are just noticing you because you're out of the ordinary. No autographs, but I do get asked for pictures from time to time, because I'm 6'2, have a big nose, blue eyes, a cleft chin and a square jaw, and also have a mohawk and pierced ear... I assume that it's because I basically look like something they see in cartoons or action movies - the enormous, muscular white punk guy - stepped into real life. It's not because they think I'm attractive. I do get stared at a lot on the metro or the street but don't assume it's anything at all, one way or the other.

It's easy for people to read it the wrong way; lots of people assume that they're being stared at in a negative fashion, that they're being judged as nasty or unwelcome. Others assume every look is bedroom eyes. Most of these people think the same thing back home, too.

You also have the confirmation bias of expat life there: though the truth is that the very vast bulk of people are uninterested in you, at the same time, if you go out to expat bars or clubs, you'll run in to plenty of native people who go there specifically because of an affinity or curiosity for Westerners and their culture. Girls (and guys) who are interested in dating a Westerner will probably go to an English/American/Irish bar or pub; if they're interested in Latinos/as, they'll find a salsa night; if they're interested in a black person, they'll seek out hip hop clubs. If you mainly stick to these social venues and other foreigners, you can be deluded into believing that there are plenty of natives into your group, when the reality is that while there may not actually be a lot of them, it's just that the ones that are will seek you out.

It's like Asian women in the US/UK/CAN/AU/etc. Most non-Asian men probably aren't interested in them in terms of an LTR or marriage, but all of my Asian-American female friends back home have to shake the guys who are into them off with a stick, because the ones that are into them will approach them.

Quote:
japanese girls prefer japanese men (Same culture, same people, same values etc.) rather than marrying some snobby arrogant ignorant smelly hairy westerner
Well thank you for airing your extremely bigoted side for everyone to see I'm quite disappointed, you usually have pretty smart things to say. This, however, is just plain ugly. smh.
 
Old 02-04-2015, 02:54 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,783 posts, read 13,376,732 times
Reputation: 11313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antequera View Post
Cheating on your wife already I see....

It depends on the family and ethnicity. I personally would be strongly against my daughter marrying a black person or any person outside of my culture, because I want my family to be part of the same culture, such racial and cultural mixes bring forth disunified families and cultural misunderstandings.
That's not necessarily the truth at all. Lots of interracial/cultural couples are actually quite strong because they've had to learn, embrace, or at least accept parts of their SO's culture that they may not have had to deal with before and may be totally ignorant of. My family loves my GF (Chinese) and her family loves me (White American). There's no "disunity," and sure, from time to time there's a misunderstanding based on our different cultures, but misunderstandings that lead to arguments and heartache happen between couples of the same culture all the time, too.
 
Old 02-04-2015, 03:51 AM
 
456 posts, read 664,842 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
That's not necessarily the truth at all. Lots of interracial/cultural couples are actually quite strong because they've had to learn, embrace, or at least accept parts of their SO's culture that they may not have had to deal with before and may be totally ignorant of. My family loves my GF (Chinese) and her family loves me (White American). There's no "disunity," and sure, from time to time there's a misunderstanding based on our different cultures, but misunderstandings that lead to arguments and heartache happen between couples of the same culture all the time, too.
I think for an American, who has grown up in an American culture, it is much easier to marry with other races/cultures,,,because Americans are not really 'culture-centric'. Compare that to let's say Greeks or Iranians who have a much more culture centric identity, where the family unit is a means to preserve and continue the culture of their nation. People that have grown up in outside those constructs can much easily marry other cultures, because they themselves to have a particularity strong attachment to one culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top