U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:44 PM

613 posts, read 894,120 times

Advertisements

It seems like the Middle East and the Mediterranean realm (much of which actually gave rise to "western civilization", such as the Abrahamic faiths) are very different from the rest of Asia which is more the "East".

Do you think the transition is really abrupt? It seems like Arabia, Mesopotamia and Persia seems a lot closer to western history from Antiquity through the Middle Ages (think of the Greeks or Romans warring with the Persians, or the Arabs and the Crusaders battling it out, or the Reconquista of Spain later on). But when you get closer to the central Asian "stans" or the Indian subcontinent, they seem more different and far less "western".

Besides things like Alexander's adventure of conquest to India or Genghis Khan's Mongols riding westward, further east than Persia, the classical Middle Eastern influence seems to have less strong ties or cultural influence and this seems to fade away close to the subcontinent or the parts of central Asia near it.

While Central Asia, Pakistan and even Western China get religious influence from the Middle East, they seem less tied to the classical West/Mediterranean/Middle East cluster.

Then again, you also get the fact that Zoroastrianism was close to early Hinduism, the early Indus valley civilization was in the west of the subcontinent, plus the fact that Muslims influenced much of the "East" from the subcontinent to Malaysia/Indonesia, so you could argue for a more gradual influence/transition.

Somehow, I do feel that the East/West line is pretty distinct when you get from Abrahamic to Dharmic faiths though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 09:22 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,273,333 times
Actually I feel the Indian sub-continent has a lot of similarities with the Middle East, from architecture (via the Mughals), religion in Pakistan and throughout India, cuisine (pilaf/briyani, use of spices like saffron), clothing.etc. The Mughals ruled much of India for centuries, and the influence was profound. The Taj Mahal is more in the Persian style. Not surprisingly it's mostly obvious in Islamic Pakistan, which has tried to differentiate itself more from India (Urdu is similar to Hindi but written in Arabic script). The influence is also obvious in Central Asia.

As for religion, during the partition there was mass migration of Muslims to Pakistan, and Hindus to India, which is why the religious boundary is so sharp. Same with West Pakistan/Bangladesh.

Further east, Malaysia and Indonesia were influenced by Arabs and Persians, and through religion things like names and dress. Persians and Arabs even established communities in eastern China where their influence is still evident today, most notably in the Hui, e.g. Chinese Muslims.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:58 PM

376 posts, read 744,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post

Then again, you also get the fact that Zoroastrianism was close to early Hinduism, the early Indus valley civilization was in the west of the subcontinent, plus the fact that Muslims influenced much of the "East" from the subcontinent to Malaysia/Indonesia, so you could argue for a more gradual influence/transition.

Somehow, I do feel that the East/West line is pretty distinct when you get from Abrahamic to Dharmic faiths though.
Your thread looks almost the all same, how we will continue to answer repeatedly but the topic remains the same as your previous thread ..?
Oke , not a problem

Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,110,600 times
I find this particular topic fascinating.

I prefer to use the terms North Africa and West Asia, rather than the Middle East, because the Caucasus countries (Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan) are excluded from the Middle East due to cultural differences. I think more people are coming to see the "Middle East" as being less tied to the Western world, but I still think it will take more time for people to really think of that part of the world as Asia.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I find this particular topic fascinating.

I prefer to use the terms North Africa and West Asia, rather than the Middle East, because the Caucasus countries (Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan) are excluded from the Middle East due to cultural differences. I think more people are coming to see the "Middle East" as being less tied to the Western world, but I still think it will take more time for people to really think of that part of the world as Asia.
Yes, even if the Middle East was largely the cultural cradle of Western civilisation.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:59 AM

10,433 posts, read 12,442,474 times
When thinking about it, these regions make a lot more sense...

Near East

Northern:
Russia, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Jordan, Iraq, Iran, Azerbaijan

Southern:
Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Oman, Yemen

--------------------------------------------------------

Middle East

Northern:
Western Siberia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Xinjiang, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan

Southern:
Afghanistan, Pakistan, Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Maldives

Far East

Northern:
Eastern Siberia, Mongolia, Northern China, Korea, Japan

Southern:
Southern China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Indonesia, Timor-Leste, Philippines

Old 04-05-2014, 05:10 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,453,326 times
Seems gradual to me. By the time you reach Pakistan and (moreso) India things begin to change a bit. I think Hinduism has an east Asian aesthetic and 'mystique' but much of the landscape in central India/Pakistan looks and feels somewhat Middle Eastern, along with the fact that there are obviously significant Muslim populations. Bhutan feels entirely ambiguous between the two, and then Myanmar is the first East Asian country IMO - although there are traces of South Asian (Indian, Bangladeshi...) feel still.

So that's a pretty complete spectrum, yeah?

Old 04-05-2014, 05:13 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,453,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

Near East

Northern:

Southern:

Middle East

Northern:
Western Siberia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Xinjiang, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan

Southern:
Afghanistan, Pakistan, Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Maldives

Far East

Northern:

Southern:
Southern China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Indonesia, Timor-Leste, Philippines
I'd move Nepal to North in the Far East.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Seems gradual to me. By the time you reach Pakistan and (moreso) India things begin to change a bit. I think Hinduism has an east Asian aesthetic and 'mystique' but much of the landscape in central India/Pakistan looks and feels somewhat Middle Eastern, along with the fact that there are obviously significant Muslim populations. Bhutan feels entirely ambiguous between the two, and then Myanmar is the first East Asian country IMO - although there are traces of South Asian (Indian, Bangladeshi...) feel still.

So that's a pretty complete spectrum, yeah?
Pakistan and large parts of India were influenced by the culture of the Muslim invaders, from the architecture (domes, minarets), food (various breads, pilafs), language (Arabic of some Turkic loanwords).etc, even in areas that are no longer Muslim dominated. In recent years Pakistan has distanced itself more from it's historical Indic cultural roots...Urdu is written in Arabic script, even though it's a lot more related to Hindi than it is to Arabic.

Myanmar has surprisingly South Asian influence and you have the Rohinga and other Indian looking minority groups. Of course you have South Asian influence/communities in Malaysia an Singapore as well.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

Near East

Northern:

Southern:

Middle East

Northern:

Southern:

Far East

Northern:

Southern:
I prefer to divide Asia more into cultural regions. For instance, the core of the Arab-speaking world is now the Arabian peninsula/gulf states, Jordan, Syria, Iraq and Lebanon. Turkey sort of has a relationship to Kurdistan (which of course is not a sovereign nation), Azerbaijan and Armenia. Iran, Azerbaijan are sort of similar, while actually Iran has some similarities to northern India as well. The Indian sub-continent is pretty obvious. In Asia, Myanmar, lowland Laos, Cambodia and Thailand go together. Vietnam is part of the greater Sinosphere which includes China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan. Mongolia lies between central and east Asia, with the 'stans' are of course Central Asia. The Malay/Austronesian world includes Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, Philippines.etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or