U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 03:36 AM

5,680 posts, read 2,952,239 times

Advertisements

It's a beautiful country but its government is questionable. We were the Vietnamese boat people back in the 70's and when we arrived at Malaysia, they wouldn't let us land and instead had their navy tugged us back out to a rough and stormy sea and left us to almost die.

I personally will never forget or forgive them.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:58 AM

41 posts, read 41,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Actually mum's from Singapore, so it was a 'mixed' marriage in a sense even though both are of mostly Chinese ancestry. Dad is from Penang. Damansara? I think my parents lived there briefly before I was born while my mum was pregnant with me. I was born in Singapore though and then we migrated to Australia when I was about a year old.
Wow, i was born in Scotland and migrated here My mother is chinese Malaysia, while my father from UK we're vice-versa.

so now you're Australians?

Old 03-16-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
How is car ownership in KL? Affordable?
depends whether the car being bought from a dealer or private seller but must be affordable

Old 03-16-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
In a sense it have a lot of similarites, modern metropolises with rapid development and have a colonial past, culturally they are very similar because of Singapore's background being part of Malaya.

KL is more less modern, car-centric, Islamic, pedestrian unfriendlier and have horrible taxis everywhere. But look on the bright sight, it's cheaper than Singapore!
there you go, criticizing other countries. Satisfied? wow you only know how to insulting. thats great. keep it up. May Indonesia have great pleasure in criticizing.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:11 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,152,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QisReine View Post
there you go, criticizing other countries. Satisfied? wow you only know how to insulting. thats great. keep it up. May Indonesia have great pleasure in criticizing.
Lol that's criticizing, its a fact just accept the truth, it hurts less. So tell me are there anything wrong about my statement?

I did say its almost like Singapore with only few exception.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:19 AM

84 posts, read 89,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Lol that's criticizing, its a fact just accept the truth, it hurts less. So tell me are there anything wrong about my statement?
From an outsider's perspective, it is indisputably true. Singapore is cleaner, more modern, less overt focus on religion, and taxi drivers are not cheats. In the 20+ years I have been visiting Malaysia, I can count on one hand with most fingers down how many times A cab driver hasn't attempted to cheat me.

I still prefer KL. Better food, not so sterile, so much vibrancy and far cheaper. People friendlier, too.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Is KL similar to Singapore culturally? I have visited Singapore a few times, but never KL. Please enlighten me.
Yeah you'll find Malaysian's people are more friendlier. mind off the words from Goshio22. He's an Indonesian who wants to bash Malaysia till his death

Singapore and Malaysia do have similarities. Multicultural, warm and humid, various cheap and tasty food

But Singapore has strict rules, high standard of living, traffic, and if Indonesian are hazing badly, Singapore will be affected most. and if you're staying there for quite long time, you'll find it boring if you have nothing to do after visited almost every place of interest. and Singapore is definitely more similar to Western countries and mostly English educated. but Singapore is super clean and free-littering

Malaysia have a much richer and more vibrant local culture than that of Singapore, and the atmosphere in the Malaysian streets seem more relaxed and comfortable. The people are really friendly but there might be slight language barriers as the national language there is Malay and people tend to speak their respective mother-tongues as their first language.

Malaysian food tastes better with a stronger, local flavour. Must-tries are generally found in roadside Malay stalls, local night markets and Chinese restaurants. Singaporean food has less of a local feel and more of a Western twist to it.

It depends on which part of Malaysia you're going. Some said that there is no difference between the urban life in Singapore and Malaysia. However, you should visit the rural or the "kampong" areas in Malaysia. Though Singapore has one in Pulau Ubin, the Malay lifestyle and the culture are pretty much preserved and more authentic there. You can also experience how Singapore was like during the pre-industrial times.

For me Malaysia and Singapore are likely neighbourhood with only slight different

Old 03-16-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Malaysia Tourist Arrivals

2003 10,577,000
2004 15,703,000
2005 16,431,000
2006 17,547,000
2007 20,973,000
2008 22,052,000
2009 23,646,000
2010 24,577,000
2011 24,714,000
2012 25,030,000
2013 25,720,000

*Around 50% are Singaporeans.

Do you think the numbers will drop for the first time in 11 years?
Maybe for this year :') because of plane case. but whats weird is that my friends worked in travel agency said after that plane incident, various groups of west people came over here. well thats what i dont know, and no comment. i think it'll drop but other says otherwise. whatever it is, Malaysia is the best

Old 03-16-2014, 08:29 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,152,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracijo1967 View Post
From an outsider's perspective, it is indisputably true. Singapore is cleaner, more modern, less overt focus on religion, and taxi drivers are not cheats. In the 20+ years I have been visiting Malaysia, I can count on one hand with most fingers down how many times A cab driver hasn't attempted to cheat me.

I still prefer KL. Better food, not so sterile, so much vibrancy and far cheaper. People friendlier, too.
Lol i know about the taxi drivers in Malaysia, i did stay there for quiet a long term and always find myself frustated about the taxis, especially downtown. In the suburbs its easier however because usually i just wait for one in the road and very likely with no hassle turn their meters on. The food (to me) is almost similar to Singapore in the perspective of flavors but there seem to be more variety in KL and yes much MUCH CHEAPER!

Friendliness, i agree, there are more people who are friendly than in Singapore, lol.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Why does Malaysia discriminate against its Chinese minority?

IMDiversity Chinese and Indian Malaysians Feel Racial Discrimination IMDiversity
We'd never discriminated them. The articles published by Singaporeans in 2008, maybe the writer are expressing based on thoughts and reports. Some of Chinese may feel that because of the constitution made before independence by their ancestors are ridiculous and some cant accepted, but majority here are fine. as well as I am a chinese here. We're given opportunity to study and have much scholarship that offer us to study aboard, with cheaper living expenses, and i think much more. I've always talk to myself, if my great-grandparent decided not to stay in Malaysia, I would've born in China and have much more difficulties with fragile social balance Live in Malaysia would be a blessing for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia