U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 11:22 PM

653 posts, read 582,148 times

Advertisements

I travel to Vietnam often for work, and the people are great but its just too raw and undeveloped for my taste. Lots of traffic and motor bikes all over, petty theft, and I don't honestly feel that secure with the local police or local government in Saigon or Hanoi, like I feel comfortable in China. It just seems like the Wild West at times, although many parts of Saigon are built up nicely. The food is also an issue for me, as I can eat Vietnamese food for a couple days, but after that I need to switch it up, and Vietnam doesn't have many Western food options.

Lastly, its really hot. Like always hot all the time, and humid and rainy.

I think if you were a young male from a Western country, and you lived there for a year or two, it would be an awesome experience, but I'm older now so it just doesn't seem attractive to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 12:37 PM

131 posts, read 8,876 times
Taiwan is also full of motorbikes, but more orderly.

Western food are expensive anyway, not only in Vietnam and also in Taiwan and other Asian cities.

The Vietnamese eat French bread and coffee as part of their cuisine. Not the same in China, Korea and Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
I travel to Vietnam often for work, and the people are great but its just too raw and undeveloped for my taste. Lots of traffic and motor bikes all over, petty theft, and I don't honestly feel that secure with the local police or local government in Saigon or Hanoi, like I feel comfortable in China. It just seems like the Wild West at times, although many parts of Saigon are built up nicely. The food is also an issue for me, as I can eat Vietnamese food for a couple days, but after that I need to switch it up, and Vietnam doesn't have many Western food options.

Lastly, its really hot. Like always hot all the time, and humid and rainy.

I think if you were a young male from a Western country, and you lived there for a year or two, it would be an awesome experience, but I'm older now so it just doesn't seem attractive to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or