U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:50 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
No one in the Philippines think of themselves as Pacific Islanders. Only the Filipinos who were born in America do. I don't know if it's what their teachers tell them.
I think they might be ashamed of being asian, I know I used to be a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 08:56 AM

471 posts, read 2,461,251 times
for me it wasnt being ashamed, i just started picking it because for a long time as someone said asian/pacific islander was the same category, and when it wasn't I was like "hey..the philippines are islands, and they are in the pacific" LOL. And I saw a lot more similarities between true pacific islander cultures like guam, etc than I did with mainland asians and japanese/koreans, so that's why it seemed to fit.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:33 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,604,445 times
People in China consider themselves "Asians" if you ask them. However the concept is not as prominent as in the US. People just call themselves Chinese or "yellow race people".

Old 03-24-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
for me it wasnt being ashamed, i just started picking it because for a long time as someone said asian/pacific islander was the same category, and when it wasn't I was like "hey..the philippines are islands, and they are in the pacific" LOL. And I saw a lot more similarities between true pacific islander cultures like guam, etc than I did with mainland asians and japanese/koreans, so that's why it seemed to fit.
Philippines are like Indonesia which is always considered Asian. If the Philippines are Pacific islands then so is Japan and Taiwan.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:32 PM

183 posts, read 210,120 times
Koreans make rough distincion between "Eastener" and "Westener", and would consider ourselves Easteners. We would never say "Asian", although it is apparent that we live on the outskirts of the Eurasian continent. It is just not a common term in our language.
I guess we do not feel much comradery with our neighbors either to call/ think of ourselves in a common large group.
So to answer your question, Koreans just see themselves as Koreans.

Last edited by Tdiva; 03-24-2014 at 09:41 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 06:21 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,849,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Philippines are like Indonesia which is always considered Asian. If the Philippines are Pacific islands then so is Japan and Taiwan.
Because Filipinos and Guamanians share many things in common. Same history and culture that is why they think they are on the same category. Actually, I think they should have just really grouped Philippines and Guam together because of the same shared history and culture. I think Filipinos would assimilate more with Guamanians.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 03-25-2014 at 06:39 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Because Filipinos and Guamanians share many things in common. Same history and culture that is why they think they are on the same category.
What do Filipinos think of Taiwanese aborigines? Or even Ryuku islanders? I think Japan has some Austronesian influence.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:30 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,849,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What do Filipinos think of Taiwanese aborigines? Or even Ryuku islanders? I think Japan has some Austronesian influence.
Well I was not just talking about Austrinesian influence. Guam and Philippines has both Austronesian and Spanish influence which makes them more similar, both countries share the same history and culture.I think it would make more sense if they are both in the same category

Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Well I was not just talking about Austrinesian influence. Guam and Philippines has both Austronesian and Spanish influence which makes them more similar, both countries share the same history and culture.I think it would make more sense if they are both in the same category
Guam is such a tiny place anyway. Was just curious if they feel kinship with taiwanese.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:02 PM

10,424 posts, read 12,416,860 times
Most to Least Asian...

Tier 1:
Mongolia, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Japan

Tier 2:
Nepal, Bhutan, Burma, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Brunei, Philippines

Tier 3:
India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh

Tier 4:
The Stans

Tier 5:
Turkey, Azerbaijan, Iran

Tier 6:
Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Jordan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Yemen, Oman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia