U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 02:05 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,121,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyz709621870 View Post
Asia is a geographic term. when western people talk about asian people, they usually refer to SEA and east asia. But in east asia, there is a huge influence by ancient China, the country adopted the nutrition of confucianism do have some decent of Chinese, that is a strong tie towards their self-congnition as an east aisan rather than the geographic word "asian".
Not all Westerners. When British people talk about Asians, they're typically referring to people from the Indian Subcontinent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 02:10 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,121,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingx View Post
I'm from Pakistan. My family considers themselves Asian, meaning my family over there. It's weird that in the UK, Asian means people who are Pakistani, Indian, Bengali, yet here in the US I am considered Middle Eastern. It's so strange, I always get called Middle Eastern, even though Pakistan is a part of Asia, not the middle east. Unfortunately people who aren't Pakistani or Asian are the ones getting to decide my identity for me. It's always been a struggle of what to check on the racial identity question. I don't fall into Pacific Islander, but I am Asian, however here in the US Asian means East Asian...I wonder what people actually consider us as? Middle Eastern, mostly but that is not accurate.
Well in the US, while the term "Asian" generally refers to Far East peoples, the census also includes South Asians, so on a form, you'd check "Asian".

Old 11-27-2014, 02:26 PM

722 posts, read 926,759 times
I remember a high school teacher said Filipinos were Asian Pacific Islander

he was making his judgements on the hair texture, color, skin color, height, eyes, etc

he was also a very racist teacher that liked to humiliate asians in front of the class by making you stand in front of the class and he would ask you questions and you would have to stand there in front of the class while all the other kids laughed.

he also said asians were the weakest race, and that was why they had such highly populated countries.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:52 PM

15,956 posts, read 36,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
It seems that it is a more recent phenomenon that Asians saw themselves as one group relative to westerners, if they even do so at all. They probably became exposed to this us vs. them through colonialism and contact with Europeans.

Do you think that they even do think of themselves as part of a race, group, continent or population of people called "Asians"? I'm not talking about those of Asian descent living in the west, like Asian-Americans or Asian-Australians etc. or elsewhere but Asians in Asia itself.

Or would they only think of themselves as Chinese, Indian, Thai, etc. Or would they identify with their specific region in Asia such as East, Central or South Asia etc.?

It wouldn't obviously be like Europe, which even though not everyone is happy to be a part of the EU, still has somewhat of a self-conception of being European.

I don't really think Asians would, but those who have familiarity with Asia or are from it, what do you think?
In my experience, Asians ONLY see themselves as ASIANS when they aren't in Asia.

It's kind of like 'white people'. If you are in a predominately white country or part of a country, you don't see yourself as 'white'. But when you aren't in a predominately white area, than suddenly you feel kind of 'white'.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:33 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,231,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In my experience, Asians ONLY see themselves as ASIANS when they aren't in Asia.

It's kind of like 'white people'. If you are in a predominately white country or part of a country, you don't see yourself as 'white'. But when you aren't in a predominately white area, than suddenly you feel kind of 'white'.
The Asians I became friends with who are new to the US, and those I am friends with online who have never been to the West, are confused when I call them Asian. They say, no I'm Korean/Japanese/Chinese/Vietnamese. In Europe, same story. There is no "Asian or white" solidarity in Eurasia. Everyone identifies themselves by the flag they were born under. It's only in the Anglo-Saxon New World that such concepts exist.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:26 AM

376 posts, read 746,015 times
I much preferred a concept of geographic location of an Asian country as an example of East Asian and South East Asian countries and to include some non-Asian in it .

I. North Asia
**** Russian Siberia
**** Mongolia
**** Korea
**** Japan
**** China / Taiwan

II. Asia Mainland
**** Khemer
**** Thailand
*****Malaysia / Brunei
*****Laos
*****Vietnam
*****Myanmar

III. Asian Maritime
**** Singapore
**** Indonesia
**** Australia
**** East Timor

III. Asia Pacific
**** Philipines
**** PNG
**** New Zealand
**** Polynesia
**** Micronesia

Up to you like it or not like , I like this ^^^_

Old 11-29-2014, 12:25 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,091,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
No one in the Philippines think of themselves as Pacific Islanders. Only the Filipinos who were born in America do. I don't know if it's what their teachers tell them.
the reason is that the only classification provided was PACIFIC ISLANDER, no Filipino or Asian. the classification Asian is just recent and because the US gov wants to be politically correct, they try to give more classification as possible so now you find Filipino/Asian/Pacific Islander and so on. So if you are a Thai or Burmese or Laotian, due to their small numbers have to be classified as Asian while the biggest groups like Chinese, Filipinos, Japanese and Korean have their own classification

Old 11-29-2014, 01:02 AM

79,056 posts, read 70,937,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
It seems that it is a more recent phenomenon that Asians saw themselves as one group relative to westerners, if they even do so at all. They probably became exposed to this us vs. them through colonialism and contact with Europeans.

Do you think that they even do think of themselves as part of a race, group, continent or population of people called "Asians"? I'm not talking about those of Asian descent living in the west, like Asian-Americans or Asian-Australians etc. or elsewhere but Asians in Asia itself.

Or would they only think of themselves as Chinese, Indian, Thai, etc. Or would they identify with their specific region in Asia such as East, Central or South Asia etc.?

It wouldn't obviously be like Europe, which even though not everyone is happy to be a part of the EU, still has somewhat of a self-conception of being European.

I don't really think Asians would, but those who have familiarity with Asia or are from it, what do you think?
Yes, they do. Especially when traveling outside of Asia. I've heard them remarking when they come upon other Asians (unrelated to them) in the West. When at home in Mongolia, Russia, China, or Central Asia, they generally think of themselves in tribal terms: Uighur, Mongol (even breaking that down into regional tribes), Yakut, Evenk, etc. Sometimes they identify as an ethno-linguistic group: Turkics; Tungusics (Evens, Evenks, Nanai, etc.); Aboriginal Taiwanese or more broadly even: Austronesian; and so forth.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:23 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,122,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
from Nepal

Born in what is now Nepal, reached enlightenment in what is now India

Old 12-04-2014, 04:23 AM

10,436 posts, read 12,461,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Born in what is now Nepal, reached enlightenment in what is now India
I don't care where he reached enlightenment, Buddha is not Indian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia