Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 03:42 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times

Advertisements

It seems that it is a more recent phenomenon that Asians saw themselves as one group relative to westerners, if they even do so at all. They probably became exposed to this us vs. them through colonialism and contact with Europeans.

Do you think that they even do think of themselves as part of a race, group, continent or population of people called "Asians"? I'm not talking about those of Asian descent living in the west, like Asian-Americans or Asian-Australians etc. or elsewhere but Asians in Asia itself.

Or would they only think of themselves as Chinese, Indian, Thai, etc. Or would they identify with their specific region in Asia such as East, Central or South Asia etc.?

It wouldn't obviously be like Europe, which even though not everyone is happy to be a part of the EU, still has somewhat of a self-conception of being European.

I don't really think Asians would, but those who have familiarity with Asia or are from it, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 03:53 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
I think almost everyone in Asia think of themselves as Asian, except for Arabs, Persians, Israelis and some Turkic people.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:31 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think almost everyone in Asia think of themselves as Asian, except for Arabs, Persians, Israelis and some Turkic people.
All the Arabs I know (who were born and raised in Saudi Arabia) refers to themselves as Asians, along with being Arab.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:42 PM

473 posts, read 2,754,747 times
I always had trouble with this growing up, trying to figure out what box to check. For most of my life, I would check Pacific Islander if it was available (I'm Filipino), but then sometime a few years ago, someone told me that the category was meant for people from like Micronesia, Guam, Hawaii, etc. So I don't know...now it's up in the air. Sometimes I check Asian, sometimes Pacific Islander

Old 03-21-2014, 05:24 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Sometimes, but like Europe I think national identity is obviously more significant.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:38 PM

732 posts, read 780,496 times
Generally, most of South,SE and East Asia consider themselves Asians. IDK with Central Asia and Middle East. The typical small, medium build; the black hair are all things that remind us that we are Asians. But politically and geographically, SEA and East Asia seems to be more connected than South Asia most probably because of their Bombay features which is apparently different with the Austronesians & Mongoloids. But economically East Asians are more prosperous.

Just like what The Postman said national identity is still the most substantial category.

Everybody in the Philippines know and consider themselves Asians. Well to be exact Malay stock! I just heard about this Pacific Islander notion with the Fil-Ams living in US. Apparently, you would only hear once in a blue moon Filipinos associating themselves as Pacific Islander, I even think none.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:59 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,152 times
The idea of Arabia being Asian still puzzles me. Of course, it couldn't be anything else, but I just think of the Middle East as being like its own continent.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:09 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Generally, most of South,SE and East Asia consider themselves Asians. IDK with Central Asia and Middle East. The typical small, medium build; the black hair are all things that remind us that we are Asians. But politically and geographically, SEA and East Asia seems to be more connected than South Asia most probably because of their Bombay features which is apparently different with the Austronesians & Mongoloids. But economically East Asians are more prosperous.

Just like what The Postman said national identity is still the most substantial category.

Everybody in the Philippines know and consider themselves Asians. Well to be exact Malay stock! I just heard about this Pacific Islander notion with the Fil-Ams living in US. Apparently, you would only hear once in a blue moon Filipinos associating themselves as Pacific Islander, I even think none.
No one in the Philippines think of themselves as Pacific Islanders. Only the Filipinos who were born in America do. I don't know if it's what their teachers tell them.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:16 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
No one in the Philippines think of themselves as Pacific Islanders. Only the Filipinos who were born in America do. I don't know if it's what their teachers tell them.
no, their teachers dont teach them that. They just take the term "Pacific Islander" literally. Also, for years and years "Asian/Pacific Islander" was one category, so I don't think Fil-Ams saw a conflict between the two. They weren't two opposing terms.

And I dont think most people in the Philippines have any clue what a Pacific Islander is, but they might be surprised to learn that they're related to Filipinos

Old 03-22-2014, 06:25 AM

732 posts, read 780,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia