Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:29 PM

318 posts, read 636,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
The west is largely ignorant though; to westerners, they usually associate anything "Asian" with anything from East Asia hence the chopsticks, kungfu, etc. stereotypes.
In Hollywood it is very common for Filipino actors to play Chinese roles because they know most White, Hispanic, and Black audiences can not tell the difference between the 2, but Filipino movie audiences in the U.S are usually the first ones to say why is that Filipino looking person playing a Chinese ? They can spot it a mile away.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 PM

28,624 posts, read 18,682,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
In Hollywood it is very common for Filipino actors to play Chinese roles because they know most White, Hispanic, and Black audiences can not tell the difference between the 2, but Filipino movie audiences in the U.S are usually the first ones to say why is that Filipino looking person playing a Chinese ? They can spot it a mile away.
Why would they ask that question? The answer is simple: "To get an acting job."

More often, I see Korean actors playing Japanese characters, and usually unnecessarily because it's usually not even a Japanese-specific role.

From what I saw when I lived in the Philippines, Filipinos vary enough physically that some can be found to play many different other nationalities. Sometimes I see people of different Asian nationalities and I believe I can identify their nationality if they have the core characteristics I expect. But I also see some that don't look "typical" at all.

Then I've had Filipinos mistake my daughter for a Filipina, and although she has a Philippines birth certificate, she has no Asian in her at all (some American Indian, though).

I know a young Japanese girl who looks Chinese enough that even other Japanese tell her so (and cause her great anguish).

Old 04-06-2014, 12:56 AM

200 posts, read 335,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
For a long time the Chinese, and a lesser extent Japanese, were the main orientals Westerners were familiar with, partly due to the fact the Chinese were overwhelmingly the largest Asian immigrant group to the West. You had a lot of Chinese restaurants dating way back...but yeah, in Australia due to our location and the fact a lot of us holiday in the region we are also very familiar with South-East Asia, although of course there is a tendency to group SEA with EA.
Interestingly enough, it seems "Asians" in Great Britain refers to South Asians, which in a way makes sense due to British colonization of the Indian subcontinent (before its partition).

Quote:
but if they say don't speak the language they're not going to be able to relate as much to that person as an Australian of a different ethnic background.
There is some truth in this. I've seen a white guy from Portugal converse (in Portuguese) with a black guy from Mozambique and it was clear that they had much in common cultural-wise, even though their respective skin colors would make you think otherwise.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:35 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,736,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
Interestingly enough, it seems "Asians" in Great Britain refers to South Asians, which in a way makes sense due to British colonization of the Indian subcontinent (before its partition).

There is some truth in this. I've seen a white guy from Portugal converse (in Portuguese) with a black guy from Mozambique and it was clear that they had much in common cultural-wise, even though their respective skin colors would make you think otherwise.
Yes, and South Asians are the main Asian group there.

Of course, most people will feel more affinity to those who can speak their language. In some ways being a native English speaker you feel you don't really have a 'people' whom you share a language with, since so many people in so many countries speak it, it's been globalised and isn't really even associated with it's country of origin that much. It's like if you're Japanese and you meet another Japanese the language is a shared thing that is part of your culture.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:01 AM

1,757 posts, read 8,099,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Why would they ask that question? The answer is simple: "To get an acting job."

More often, I see Korean actors playing Japanese characters, and usually unnecessarily because it's usually not even a Japanese-specific role.

From what I saw when I lived in the Philippines, Filipinos vary enough physically that some can be found to play many different other nationalities. Sometimes I see people of different Asian nationalities and I believe I can identify their nationality if they have the core characteristics I expect. But I also see some that don't look "typical" at all.

Then I've had Filipinos mistake my daughter for a Filipina, and although she has a Philippines birth certificate, she has no Asian in her at all (some American Indian, though).

I know a young Japanese girl who looks Chinese enough that even other Japanese tell her so (and cause her great anguish).
Lalaine Vergara Paras played 'Miranda Sanchez' from Disney TV series Lizzie McGuire
& when people find out that she's Filipino. they get surprise lol & they thought the type of her as a Filipino never exist

gordo+miranda {this is not a love song} - YouTube

Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Lalaine Vergara Paras played 'Miranda Sanchez' from Disney TV series Lizzie McGuire
& when people find out that she's Filipino. they get surprise lol & they thought the type of her as a Filipino never exist

gordo+miranda {this is not a love song} - YouTube
Mexicans can vary a great deal in appearance as well, varying the amount of American Indian. I've seen Filipinos who could "pass" as Mexican, especially some young Filipinas.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Mexicans can vary a great deal in appearance as well, varying the amount of American Indian. I've seen Filipinos who could "pass" as Mexican, especially some young Filipinas.
Have you ever seen a Filipina/Filipino who can pass for White ? Doesn't have to be Nordic White, but at least look like an Adam Sandler or a Sylvester Stallone.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Have you ever seen a Filipina/Filipino who can pass for White ? Doesn't have to be Nordic White, but at least look like an Adam Sandler or a Sylvester Stallone.
Maybe some that could pull off a Mediterranean look, but I don't know of any.

Can you figure out who this is: Famous Actors from The Philippines

Old 04-06-2014, 04:11 PM

1,757 posts, read 8,099,907 times
Quote:
Maybe some that could pull off a Mediterranean look, but I don't know of any.

Can you figure out who this is: Famous Actors from The Philippines
That's Kristel Moreno

Old 04-06-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
That's Kristel Moreno
Kristel Moreno is half White.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.