U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2014, 03:49 PM
 
Location: East coast
613 posts, read 892,436 times
Reputation: 306

Advertisements

Do you think most group Asians into a category based on physical appearance or race more, or culture?

The US Census groups Asians as East, Southeast and South Asians and many Anglo countries really just use East and Southeast Asians as a grouping.

Do you think most people think of Asians as a "race" of people or more a cultural grouping of people that have more in common through things like civilization-related similarities, common writing or language, food, religion, music (though these are obviously diverse in Asia) etc. Many think of the East or Asians are those civilizations that had a mostly rice-farming based start and had at some point been influenced by the dharmic Hinduism or Buddhism.

 
Old 03-22-2014, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,238,353 times
Reputation: 2833
Yeah colloquially in most countries Asians refer to the more Mongoloid ones, whether from Ladakh, Siberia or Java. Technically it often refers more to geography or culture.
 
Old 03-23-2014, 05:22 AM
 
621 posts, read 382,346 times
Reputation: 145
yes to both, except for Phils...
 
Old 03-23-2014, 06:25 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,001,496 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
yes to both, except for Phils...
in what way?
 
Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 PM
 
334 posts, read 358,805 times
Reputation: 61
Asian is more of a continental identity term but people use the term in conjunction with the Mongoloid inhabitants of the Asian continent and regions. Ethnically, tribally, they are not homogenous.

Culture is more important than race or phenotype.
 
Old 03-24-2014, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,238,353 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorderoAries View Post
Asian is more of a continental identity term but people use the term in conjunction with the Mongoloid inhabitants of the Asian continent and regions. Ethnically, tribally, they are not homogenous.

Culture is more important than race or phenotype.
In most of the world and throughout history this has been the case. Americans on the other hand tend to see race first.
 
Old 03-24-2014, 05:09 PM
 
20,111 posts, read 11,152,482 times
Reputation: 20148
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Do you think most group Asians into a category based on physical appearance or race more, or culture?

The US Census groups Asians as East, Southeast and South Asians and many Anglo countries really just use East and Southeast Asians as a grouping.

Do you think most people think of Asians as a "race" of people or more a cultural grouping of people that have more in common through things like civilization-related similarities, common writing or language, food, religion, music (though these are obviously diverse in Asia) etc. Many think of the East or Asians are those civilizations that had a mostly rice-farming based start and had at some point been influenced by the dharmic Hinduism or Buddhism.
A couple of years ago, I was walking down the hall of a major US Fortune 50 company headquarters and noted their new advertising campaign posters targeting Asians. One poster was in Korean, the other was in Chinese (no, I don't read either, but I recognize the difference). The image of the woman, however, was the same picture.

Non-Asian Americans generally think of race by the term "Asian" (including Filipinos), and the mental image is of north Asia peoples.
 
Old 03-24-2014, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,299 posts, read 3,397,122 times
Reputation: 2033
The idea that what is the perhaps the most arbitrary human quality, physical appearance, is the defining characteristic of human societies was cooked up by a bunch of intellectual half-wits in the West.

I don't believe that the idea of "Asianess" in Asia isn't really fully developed outside of geographical and some vague racial considerations. There are some cultural links to hash out the concept of "Asianess" for the eastern half of the continent of Asia. However, continental Asia in itself is a Western construct meant to represent the great "other."
 
Old 03-24-2014, 06:16 PM
 
20,111 posts, read 11,152,482 times
Reputation: 20148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
The idea that what is the perhaps the most arbitrary human quality, physical appearance, is the defining characteristic of human societies was cooked up by a bunch of intellectual half-wits in the West.
No, that was cooked up by scientists in the West. It began with the modern taxonomy of species.
 
Old 03-30-2014, 06:27 AM
 
621 posts, read 382,346 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
in what way?
Yes to appearance but culture no, it is more inclined to Hispanic way of culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top