U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,273,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's funny because I think of asian cultures having a greater respect for the elderly than in the west. Maybe because they have to, you see a lot more older people working and contributing to society, whereas old people here and hidden and isolated, reminders of something we prefer to ignore.

As for Asia, maybe it's western biases that are partly responsible for this? Singapore in particular. The government doesn't seem to want to take care of senior citizens either, using confucian family values as an excuse. I think things like being discriminated against in employment happen everywhere. Consumerism and materialism, as well as capitalism, worship youth and vitality.
In Singapore, parents can sue for maintence if the kids do not support their parents ..

I suppose you saw some young punks disrespecting their parents /elders while on the streets in Singapore occasionally ?

To strengthen my point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:16 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
In Singapore, parents can sue for maintence if the kids do not support their parents ..

I suppose you saw some young punks disrespecting their parents /elders while on the streets in Singapore occasionally ?

To strengthen my point
I've see videos, and seen kids being brats when out with their parents. So it's a law you must spend a certain amount to take care of your parents if they cannot support themselves?

Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
I've see videos, and seen kids being brats when out with their parents. So it's a law you must spend a certain amount to take care of your parents if they cannot support themselves?
As you know the government tries to avoid the responsibility of taking care of the aged when possible.

So if kids do not give parents allowance they can be sued, but how much is acceptable and etc there is no hard and fast rule.. Really case by case basis...

The thing about Harry .. now that he is 90, see netizens spectaculating online whether when he dies will there be a special one day public holiday for mourning..

Tells a lot about how Singapore respects the aged ...

Old 03-25-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
As you know the government tries to avoid the responsibility of taking care of the aged when possible.

So if kids do not give parents allowance they can be sued, but how much is acceptable and etc there is no hard and fast rule.. Really case by case basis...

The thing about Harry .. now that he is 90, see netizens spectaculating online whether when he dies will there be a special one day public holiday for mourning..

Tells a lot about how Singapore respects the aged ...
Aged or not I thought he is generally venerated in the lion city?

Old 03-25-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Aged or not I thought he is generally venerated in the lion city?
To the older generation and maybe some younger ones..

Up to you whether you want to trust me, I have read comments on FB people just looking forward to a special 1 day holiday that may take place when he dies..

Of course no one knows if that is gonna to take place when lee Kwan yew pass away till it happens

Old 03-25-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
To the older generation and maybe some younger ones..

Up to you whether you want to trust me, I have read comments on FB people just looking forward to a special 1 day holiday that may take place when he dies..

Of course no one knows if that is gonna to take place when lee Kwan yew pass away till it happens
I don't doubt many resent his almost dynastically run PAP hegemony, but I think most at least acknowledge his great contribution to modern Singapore. It's hard to imagine a Singapore without him.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:34 AM

131 posts, read 9,599 times
Psy isn't old. People should be older than 60 or 80 to be described as old.
HK has many popular older non young idol type actors and actresses who are also famous in Singapore.
The younger vs older is all about fans of different age groups.
Pretty sure the older people in Korea are watching the older Koreans more than the young idols.
Quote:
Just seeking opinions, do you think there is heavy discrimination against aged people in Asia ?

In Singapore now that our ex leader Lee Kwan Yew is old, people do not care about what he says and his view much..and you can see harsh words from netizens on FB.

In showbiz, Korea idol groups are all young.. Only a few rare exceptions like PSY and Cho Yong Pil do reasonably well..

In Malaysia, see online netizens bashing Mahatair saying he is old and should not make so much comments..Of course these may be just haters, but they use nothing but age as a form of attack.

Just want input from members, are aged people discriminated heavily in Asia ?

In Japan, are the young more valued than the old ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia