U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 12:14 PM

162 posts, read 195,363 times

Advertisements

I plan to move to Taguig City and I can't find any living arrangements within the area. There are some online, but considering how vast the neighborhoods of this city are, I suppose a lot of possible room openings are not on sites I am finding.

Is there a newspaper/classifieds you pick up at a store in the neighborhood you are looking in which has local rental listings in it? Does a lot of the share of lower cost neighborhood rental oportunities go to print instead of the web? I wanted to be on the lower cost south/east side of Carlos P. Garcia Avenue (opposite from the direction of Makati) where there are tons of households and also lower cost neighborhoods and rent.

I kept finding what looked like shared dormitories online and that is certainly what I don't want. I need a room for myself when I am there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 07:20 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,447,498 times
Boots on the ground is the best way and word of mouth. Rent a taxi and driver for the day (maybe p1200) and have them ride around in the areas you wish to rent, copy down phone numbers and then probably best to have a Filipino make the phone calls for you, if you are not Filipino.

Here are some online sites that might help Olx.com.ph, then there is Island Properties, Bahay.ph

Hope that helps, good luck.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Boots on the ground is the best way and word of mouth. Rent a taxi and driver for the day (maybe p1200) and have them ride around in the areas you wish to rent, copy down phone numbers and then probably best to have a Filipino make the phone calls for you, if you are not Filipino.

Here are some online sites that might help Olx.com.ph, then there is Island Properties, Bahay.ph

Hope that helps, good luck.
Thanks a lot. Too bad it is not quite as easy as here in Toronto because here you just sift through kijiji ads. I will make an effort to do what you said so I am prepared to live in the part of Manila that most interests me.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:21 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,447,498 times
Just as a side note to this, in many parts of Manila the air is very polluted, so you might wish to look around in person and take your time before jumping on anything.

I have not been to Taguig City that I remember but may have driven through there on the way to Laguna, yet it looks nice but IMO it might not be far enough outside Metro Manila for the air to be clean.

Ayosdito, Locanto as well as Olx has lots of apartments for rent in that area but IMO look around first in person.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:40 AM

307 posts, read 474,494 times
Default To Santoronto: Looking for room in Taguig City

Santoronto: Assuming you have not left Toronto yet, how soon are you moving to Taguig City? Is this a job move? Do you speak Tagalog? Don't get me wrong...most Filipinos are fluent in English.....but I learned from my numerous and lengthy trips & sojourns in the Philippines that if you talk to folks there in their language, you'll get better and faster results. Before and during my trips there I learned and became very fluent in Tagalog (as well as other dialects) and the effort paid off. If the move is related to a job (don't expect to get one when you go there...there's hardly enough to go around for the folks there). But if it is, do you have a choice where to live? Do you know anyone there? If you do...you should be communicating with them. Pay attention to what others (in the know) are saying to you in this forum. Mr. Lee hit it on target about pollution in the greater Manila area (aka: Metro Manila)...which now encompasses far away towns and cities that used to be considered far from Manila proper. Taguig is within that range. Even Antipolo, higher in elevation, which used to be a favored place to visit and live because of its cooler climate, has not escaped the pollution (ie, smog) from the Metro Manila basin. Having extensive experience living and working worldwide (Korea, Japan, Thailand, Philippines, Guam, Hawaii, Germany, Holland, and throughout the U.S., etc) I always advise those contemplating venturing off to far away places...to check it out first! In person! It's ok to research, get all the info you can find, communicate with folks who have been & LIVED there to get their personal opinions...but ultimately, you'll never really know from what others tell you how you will actually like living out there. Sure it's expensive to make the trip...but then, if it doesn't work out as you thought it might....it may very well cost you a lot more. Once you're there, it is easy to find rooms (for yourself)...which you can personally see...and better decide if it's the right one for you. There's no way an online search will result in what you really want...or get, when you show up there. I had no problem finding the ideal room when I went to Manila on a month-long research project. I didn't do a pre-search...I just went there...and in one afternoon I was able to see half a dozen places...and found what I wanted for the price I can afford. If you have further questions, by all means post it in this forum...others may chime in with additional info that would be beneficial to you. I will try my best to provide you with specific answers. Wish you the best.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:34 AM

223 posts, read 264,990 times
Budget aside, I am not too keen staying on areas in Taguig too far away from BGC. You might want to check out Acacia Estates (along CP Garcia Avenue) or Bonifacio Heights (along Lawton Avenue). Both developments are just at the periphery of BGC. AFAIK a 2 bedroom condo would cost around PHP25-35k per month.

BGC (Bonifacio Global City) located in Taguig is the most recent development in Manila which is prime real estate. BGC rivals Makati which is the Business Capital of the Philippines and also home to the most affluent residential and commercial developments in the country. BGC was developed right next to Makati.

There's a sizable expat community in BGC. There are a lot of condominiums to choose from. OLX.ph and ayosdito as suggested is a good starting point. You may also browse through skyscrapercity.com.

I have lived in Metro Manila and feel free to ask additional questions.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStraight View Post
Santoronto: Assuming you have not left Toronto yet, how soon are you moving to Taguig City? Is this a job move? Do you speak Tagalog? Don't get me wrong...most Filipinos are fluent in English.....but I learned from my numerous and lengthy trips & sojourns in the Philippines that if you talk to folks there in their language, you'll get better and faster results. Before and during my trips there I learned and became very fluent in Tagalog (as well as other dialects) and the effort paid off. If the move is related to a job (don't expect to get one when you go there...there's hardly enough to go around for the folks there). But if it is, do you have a choice where to live? Do you know anyone there? If you do...you should be communicating with them. Pay attention to what others (in the know) are saying to you in this forum. Mr. Lee hit it on target about pollution in the greater Manila area (aka: Metro Manila)...which now encompasses far away towns and cities that used to be considered far from Manila proper. Taguig is within that range. Even Antipolo, higher in elevation, which used to be a favored place to visit and live because of its cooler climate, has not escaped the pollution (ie, smog) from the Metro Manila basin. Having extensive experience living and working worldwide (Korea, Japan, Thailand, Philippines, Guam, Hawaii, Germany, Holland, and throughout the U.S., etc) I always advise those contemplating venturing off to far away places...to check it out first! In person! It's ok to research, get all the info you can find, communicate with folks who have been & LIVED there to get their personal opinions...but ultimately, you'll never really know from what others tell you how you will actually like living out there. Sure it's expensive to make the trip...but then, if it doesn't work out as you thought it might....it may very well cost you a lot more. Once you're there, it is easy to find rooms (for yourself)...which you can personally see...and better decide if it's the right one for you. There's no way an online search will result in what you really want...or get, when you show up there. I had no problem finding the ideal room when I went to Manila on a month-long research project. I didn't do a pre-search...I just went there...and in one afternoon I was able to see half a dozen places...and found what I wanted for the price I can afford. If you have further questions, by all means post it in this forum...others may chime in with additional info that would be beneficial to you. I will try my best to provide you with specific answers. Wish you the best.
Thanks a lot. I am just planning on spending a year off, kinda like the backpacking year young people often take. But I wish to do it in Manila and enjoy the environment and people. So I don't need Tagalog for work, but I will learn some to do well with the people I meet of course.

You said you found rooms to rent when you were there instead of online. so what method did you use to find a room once you were already in Manila?

On an extra note, any ideas as to why a city struggling with severe urban sprawl has so few apartment buildings?

Old 04-02-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_girl View Post
Budget aside, I am not too keen staying on areas in Taguig too far away from BGC. You might want to check out Acacia Estates (along CP Garcia Avenue) or Bonifacio Heights (along Lawton Avenue). Both developments are just at the periphery of BGC. AFAIK a 2 bedroom condo would cost around PHP25-35k per month.

BGC (Bonifacio Global City) located in Taguig is the most recent development in Manila which is prime real estate. BGC rivals Makati which is the Business Capital of the Philippines and also home to the most affluent residential and commercial developments in the country. BGC was developed right next to Makati.

There's a sizable expat community in BGC. There are a lot of condominiums to choose from. OLX.ph and ayosdito as suggested is a good starting point. You may also browse through skyscrapercity.com.

I have lived in Metro Manila and feel free to ask additional questions.
Thanks. I am an adventurous young person, so I am far from spending the money of the big city Taguig. I was actually refering to the cheap part on the south side of the highway.

I should also mention I decided to possibly switch to caloocan city instead. I think there is a huge range of options. I am thinking of moving to the area near Caloocan city hall west of Araneta square/Monumento and south of Malabon. I am adventurous and looking forward to experiencing this.

And yes, I am well aware that Caloocan is pretty low income, but after having lived in Colombia and Mexico in the roughest areas and having an interesting and non-problematic experience, it wil be a peice of vanilla cake for me in that kind of place. I have an unusually high tendency to succeed in avoiding all kinds of flashing of valuables and standing out in any negative way as I master the act of blending in comfortably, which is why I have been so successful from the red zone in eastern Colombia to the Amazon region to Suriname and Guyana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or