U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 06:46 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Yes, as long as they are willing to lose their own language in the long run.
Not so much unlike the French lost the languages of Occitane, Breton, Provençal, Alsatian.

Big deal. As of decline of traditional language is unique to China. National wide in China, all languages are declining/disappearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 08:54 PM

919 posts, read 603,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
National wide in China, all languages are declining/disappearing.
So Tibetans are losing their language in exchange of equal access to education, jobs and healthcare with Hans.

I wonder what would have happened if Hans did nothing in Tibet?

Old 11-15-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
So Tibetans are losing their language in exchange of equal access to education, jobs and healthcare with Hans.

much like France, China has a centralist tradition where the solidarity of the state is more important than anything. The loss of regional language is not a particular measurement for Tibet. Even today the media is saying kids born in the 2000s in Wuhan or Chengdu can hardly carry a conversation in local dialect.

It is easy and sounds noble to argue for the preservation of local cultural when the future of that country has absolutely nothing to do with one personally. China doesn't want a Catalonia or Scotland or Quebec who demands separation every ten years because they have some special culture, and it has the reason not to.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:10 AM

Quote:
The loss of regional language is not a particular measurement for Tibet. Even today the media is saying kids born in the 2000s in Wuhan or Chengdu can hardly carry a conversation in local dialect.
They are Han people after all. As you described, while those kids are losing their dialects, Tibetans are losing their language.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
They are Han people after all. As you described, while those kids are losing their dialects, Tibetans are losing their language.
whether Cantonese or Fukianese are languages on their own is debatable.

The Tibetan are free to keep their original language. There is no Chinese law that says it is forbidden. But the entire country needs a common language for education, mass media and other communications, and that's mandarin Chinese. I don't know what I can say to convince you that whether to lose their language or not is a choice by Tibetans. Nothing prevents them from keep talking in Tibetan languages.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:09 PM

4,687 posts, read 3,615,309 times
Quote:

Easy. Tibet would have a life expectancy of 38 years today, as opposed to its current 67 years, according to the UN. It's still shorter than the rest of China at 78 years, but a heck of a lot better than what would happen if the lamas were running the country.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
whether Cantonese or Fukianese are languages on their own is debatable.
To my eyes, whether it is a language or a dialect is based mainly on politics. As long as they are Han people, what they use are dialects.

Quote:
The Tibetan are free to keep their original language. There is no Chinese law that says it is forbidden. But the entire country needs a common language for education, mass media and other communications, and that's mandarin Chinese. I don't know what I can say to convince you that whether to lose their language or not is a choice by Tibetans. Nothing prevents them from keep talking in Tibetan languages.
Just like I said, there is a choice between losing your language or getting the same rights as Han people have. This doesn't seem to be equal.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Easy. Tibet would have a life expectancy of 38 years today, as opposed to its current 67 years, according to the UN. It's still shorter than the rest of China at 78 years, but a heck of a lot better than what would happen if the lamas were running the country.
I am not sure which is happier to me, to live longer but lose our language slowly or to live shorter but keep our language for long.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:59 AM

4,687 posts, read 3,615,309 times
Quote:
I am not sure which is happier to me, to live longer but lose our language slowly or to live shorter but keep our language for long.
I am sure your tune will change if someone actually held a gun to your head and demanded that you start learning a different language or else....LOL

Old 12-13-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I am sure your tune will change if someone actually held a gun to your head and demanded that you start learning a different language or else....LOL
Yes, I agree China has been doing something similar to Tibetan people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia