U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-14-2016, 01:47 PM
 
4,684 posts, read 3,613,254 times
Reputation: 7382

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Easy for you to say. How many times have you had to deal with an invading army? But think about those poor Tibetan dogs, forcibly annexed into a country where they might be eaten.
What's weird is that when I visited Tibet three years ago, I did not see one single dog in Lhasa. Tibet wasn't invaded. It was reclaimed. There's a difference but who cares. It's part of China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2016, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Fort Collins, USA
1,476 posts, read 2,369,527 times
Reputation: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
What's weird is that when I visited Tibet three years ago, I did not see one single dog in Lhasa. Tibet wasn't invaded. It was reclaimed. There's a difference but who cares. It's part of China.
You'd make a great propaganda minister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,674 posts, read 70,531,500 times
Reputation: 76637
The Dalai Lama's brother, Gyalo Thondup, in his book "The Noodlemaker of Kalimpong" (autobiography), said that the US, India, and I think, England, offered to help Tibet as the PLA was preparing to invade. They repeated their offers several times, but the Tibetan government turned them down. They didn't believe China would invade and take over. So they have no one to blame but themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2016, 08:25 PM
 
919 posts, read 602,726 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
you'd make a great propaganda minister.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2016, 09:52 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,674 posts, read 70,531,500 times
Reputation: 76637
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
What's weird is that when I visited Tibet three years ago, I did not see one single dog in Lhasa. Tibet wasn't invaded. It was reclaimed. There's a difference but who cares. It's part of China.
It is now, but it wasn't before. Tibet even conquered the Chinese capital during their warrior days. But it's all a moot point now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2016, 03:33 AM
 
4,684 posts, read 3,613,254 times
Reputation: 7382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It is now, but it wasn't before. Tibet even conquered the Chinese capital during their warrior days. But it's all a moot point now.
Yup. Very moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2016, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,489,713 times
Reputation: 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyz709621870 View Post
Why western people always said communist party killed lots of peole in Tibet?
Because it was a sovereign nation, violently annexed by its neighbour in an unprovoked war. Whether it's part of China or not is a philosophical question at this point. It's not a yes or no question, there is room to disagree. Maybe it's a part of China, but it's not a part of China like Beijing is a part of China, because it was a sovereign country in living memory that only stopped being so because of a violent takeover and subsequent suppression of political dissent through the use of state force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2016, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
8 posts, read 3,164 times
Reputation: 20
Tibet is a region on the Tibetan Plateau of China, homeland of Tibetan people, the culture & customs are totally different from the Chinese (Han people).


Quote:
Originally Posted by zyz709621870 View Post
Why western people always said communist party killed lots of peole in Tibet?
Communist party killed not only people in Tibet, but also other poor people of the proletarian class (by the agrarian reform).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2016, 12:49 AM
 
1,378 posts, read 1,814,238 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Because it was a sovereign nation, violently annexed by its neighbour in an unprovoked war. Whether it's part of China or not is a philosophical question at this point. It's not a yes or no question, there is room to disagree. Maybe it's a part of China, but it's not a part of China like Beijing is a part of China, because it was a sovereign country in living memory that only stopped being so because of a violent takeover and subsequent suppression of political dissent through the use of state force.
I guess Japan should have won the Pacific Theater then since that was the only way to prevent Tibet from being annexed. Blame the US for the Tibetans losing their independence. The Chinese are only doing what is best for their security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2016, 04:24 AM
 
4,684 posts, read 3,613,254 times
Reputation: 7382
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieGodfrey View Post
Tibet is a region on the Tibetan Plateau of China, homeland of Tibetan people, the culture & customs are totally different from the Chinese (Han people).




Communist party killed not only people in Tibet, but also other poor people of the proletarian class (by the agrarian reform).
Okey...then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top