U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-06-2016, 05:23 AM
 
4,684 posts, read 3,613,254 times
Reputation: 7382

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Is Tibet part of China? It is under Chinese administration and Tibetans are citizens of the PRC. Now I believe the real question would be is Tibet ethnically, culturally part of China? Well given Tibet was annexed to China by means of military force, I would say probably not. However the only ones who can really answer this question are Tibetans, do they consider themselves Chinese? By the same token, do Han Chinese view Tibetans as Chinese only when it serves the patriotic aggrandizement feeling of the Greater China, and as Tibetans for all the rest? How come there is an independence movement? How about Uyghurs, which get next to no press at all in the West?
Who cares? Are there more important things to think about than these ponder thy navel questions...pointless waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2016, 05:24 AM
 
4,684 posts, read 3,613,254 times
Reputation: 7382
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
This is hardly an odd argument. This is how all great powers operate. If you don't like it, tough. You might as well ask the Turks to give up Eastern Anatolia aka Northern Kurdistan since they hold onto that region for the same exact reason why the Chinese hold onto Tibet (Eastern Anatolia has the watersheds for the Tigris and Euphrates rivers). Tibet is only an issue because China isn't pro-Western like Turkey. If China were pro-Western, they would probably be allowed to annex Mongolia since the Republic of China (aka Taiwan) claims Mongolia as being a part of China and not a single Western country has an issue with that claim.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2016, 10:11 AM
 
749 posts, read 596,810 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Who cares? Are there more important things to think about than these ponder thy navel questions...pointless waste of time.
Who cares? I'm sure millions of Tibetans and Chinese do care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2016, 10:14 AM
 
964 posts, read 703,300 times
Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Who cares? Are there more important things to think about than these ponder thy navel questions...pointless waste of time.
Why post is you don't like the topic? This is a discussion board. People post about controversial issues they'd like to discuss and debate. That's what discussion forums are about. If you're not interested in one topic, move on to find one that suits your interests. Pretty simple concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2016, 10:16 AM
 
964 posts, read 703,300 times
Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
This is hardly an odd argument. This is how all great powers operate. If you don't like it, tough. You might as well ask the Turks to give up Eastern Anatolia aka Northern Kurdistan since they hold onto that region for the same exact reason why the Chinese hold onto Tibet (Eastern Anatolia has the watersheds for the Tigris and Euphrates rivers). Tibet is only an issue because China isn't pro-Western like Turkey. If China were pro-Western, they would probably be allowed to annex Mongolia since the Republic of China (aka Taiwan) claims Mongolia as being a part of China and not a single Western country has an issue with that claim.
If it's such a key strategy, why doesn't Iraq fight Turkey for the region? The Tigris and Euphrates flow through Iraq, as well. Your theory doesn't hold water, so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2016, 05:51 PM
 
4,684 posts, read 3,613,254 times
Reputation: 7382
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Who cares? I'm sure millions of Tibetans and Chinese do care.
Yeah, thank heaven there are still "millions" of Tibetans. Go count how many Sioux, Cherokees and Chicktaws are left in the world after the American Republic was done with them? And the US is the Land of the Brave...China is a lot nicer to the Tibetans today than the US ever was to its Native populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2016, 07:39 PM
 
964 posts, read 703,300 times
Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yeah, thank heaven there are still "millions" of Tibetans. Go count how many Sioux, Cherokees and Chicktaws are left in the world after the American Republic was done with them? And the US is the Land of the Brave...China is a lot nicer to the Tibetans today than the US ever was to its Native populations.
There's no such thing as Chicktaws.

You can't compare, because settlers have been in the US for 100's of years. The Chinese invaded Tibet only in the 50's. They've jailed and/or killed over a million Tibetans. Just because they didn't kill most of them doesn't make killing masses of them ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2016, 10:07 AM
 
1,424 posts, read 735,188 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
There's no such thing as Chicktaws.

You can't compare, because settlers have been in the US for 100's of years. The Chinese invaded Tibet only in the 50's. They've jailed and/or killed over a million Tibetans. Just because they didn't kill most of them doesn't make killing masses of them ok.
Could you stop lying?
There were only 2 million people in Tibet in 2000. Even if you count all Tibetans in China, the population was just 5 million in 2000, and much less decades ago. And you claim over a million were killed and jailed? You think the communists kill people for fun? How brainwashed are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2016, 11:22 AM
 
964 posts, read 703,300 times
Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Could you stop lying?
There were only 2 million people in Tibet in 2000. Even if you count all Tibetans in China, the population was just 5 million in 2000, and much less decades ago. And you claim over a million were killed and jailed? You think the communists kill people for fun? How brainwashed are you?
This would depend on how you define "Tibet". And your census count from 2000 is a bit late for establishing how many Tibetans there were in Tibet in 1949, when the PLA arrived there. A rather convenient oversight on your part. And if you limit the boundaries of "Tibet" to the TAR, naturally you would come up with a very different figure than if you defined Tibet according to its borders to include eastern Tibet, part of which China took and turned into Qinghai Province, while allocating the rest to Sichuan.

It seems that you need a history lesson. During the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution, an estimated million Tibetans died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2016, 01:36 PM
 
1,424 posts, read 735,188 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
This would depend on how you define "Tibet". And your census count from 2000 is a bit late for establishing how many Tibetans there were in Tibet in 1949, when the PLA arrived there. A rather convenient oversight on your part. And if you limit the boundaries of "Tibet" to the TAR, naturally you would come up with a very different figure than if you defined Tibet according to its borders to include eastern Tibet, part of which China took and turned into Qinghai Province, while allocating the rest to Sichuan.

It seems that you need a history lesson. During the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution, an estimated million Tibetans died.
Don't dodge my questions. I already said there were 5 million Tibetans in all of China in 2000, and there were much fewer in the 1950s. How come over a million were killed or jailed?
BTW, Tibetan population doubled from 1950s to now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top