U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-11-2016, 08:29 PM
 
1,379 posts, read 1,816,475 times
Reputation: 980

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
I wonder what kind of benefit UK got in return from the independence of USA, for example?

Odd question for me
It is a question that needs to be asked since questioning China's control of Tibet based on things like Tibetan ethnic self determination and human rights are effectively irrelevant and play no role in China's decision to do anything. History and prior sovereignty are also irrelevant. The only thing that matters are questions about national security and strategic economic interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2016, 09:18 PM
 
919 posts, read 603,987 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Some Tibetans welcome the communist revolution too. Why nobody mentioned them?
Some Chinese welcome Japanese invasion too. What's your point here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2016, 09:19 PM
 
4,342 posts, read 2,270,414 times
Reputation: 5591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Some Chinese welcome Japanese invasion too. What's your point here?

Must be those Chinese history books...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2016, 09:20 PM
 
919 posts, read 603,987 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
It is a question that needs to be asked since questioning China's control of Tibet based on things like Tibetan ethnic self determination and human rights are effectively irrelevant and play no role in China's decision to do anything. History and prior sovereignty are also irrelevant. The only thing that matters are questions about national security and strategic economic interests.
I don't get your point. Why irrelevant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2016, 11:36 PM
 
749 posts, read 597,998 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yeah, thank heaven there are still "millions" of Tibetans. Go count how many Sioux, Cherokees and Chicktaws are left in the world after the American Republic was done with them? And the US is the Land of the Brave...China is a lot nicer to the Tibetans today than the US ever was to its Native populations.
The Native Americans question is a totally different topic and doesn't justify Chinese occupation of Tibet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 12:35 AM
 
1,424 posts, read 736,686 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Some Chinese welcome Japanese invasion too. What's your point here?
Tibetans are equal to Han Chinese by law, and it is in constitution.
Theoretically, a Tibetan can be the president of China.
Comparing Japanese imperialists to Chinese is an insult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 03:17 AM
 
919 posts, read 603,987 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Tibetans are equal to Han Chinese by law, and it is in constitution.
Theoretically, a Tibetan can be the president of China.
Comparing Japanese imperialists to Chinese is an insult.
I don't get your point again.

Freedom of speech is written in constitution of your country as well. Do you think a Tibetan can speak what they really think in his/her mind without any trouble? If you do, you know nothing about your country.
第三十五条 中华人民共和国公民有言论、出版、集会、结社、游行、示威的自由。
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:28 AM
 
1,424 posts, read 736,686 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
I don't get your point again.

Freedom of speech is written in constitution of your country as well. Do you think a Tibetan can speak what they really think in his/her mind without any trouble? If you do, you know nothing about your country.
第三十五条 中华人民共和国公民有言论、出版、集会、结社、游行、示威的自由。
The point is, Tibetans are equal to Han Chinese in everything. The point is "equal".
If they suffered something due to the bad policies of China government, other people in China suffered too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 02:05 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,904 posts, read 70,720,442 times
Reputation: 76870
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
What exactly does China get in return from releasing Tibetans and giving them an independent country? I never hear a single response to this question.
You're asking the wrong person. I don't think China should withdraw from Tibet. You need to ask the people who are for Tibetan independence. And it's interesting, even the "Free Tibet" Tibetans don't know what kind of a government they want if Tibet were independent. Would the theocracy return to power? Would there be any oversight over the monastic sector at all? What would the economy be based on, and how would it support the 25% of the adult population that was not in the work force? (A crushing tax burden to support the monasteries was one reason Buddhism was suppressed by a couple of the early kings.) Would those people agitating for a free Tibet be willing to be taxed to death to support tens of thousands of monks and nuns?

Nobody's thought these things through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2016, 02:42 AM
 
919 posts, read 603,987 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
The point is, Tibetans are equal to Han Chinese in everything. The point is "equal".
If they suffered something due to the bad policies of China government, other people in China suffered too.
Han Chinese has been enjoying their independence.

How about Tibetans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top