U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 08:55 AM

2,562 posts, read 2,180,745 times

Advertisements

Like I said in a previous post, it really does not matter how other countries handle their own territorial issues. Tibet is currently administered by the PRC government in Beijing. That's a fact, and it will probably remain that way as long as the Communist Party is in power. Even a future (hopefully more democratic) government in China will still insist China's sovereignty over Tibet, because no Chinese leader in history wants to be remembered as "ceding territorial integrity".

Also, guys, please stop alluding to America or the U.S., and using the red herring logic along the lines of "because they did it so can we".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 05:00 PM

4,689 posts, read 3,616,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
And what was it to the American Indian (Apache and Navaho)? Doesn't matter if it was the Spanish, Mexican, or American to them, simply one invader replaces the other. To them, the Spanish/Mexicans were the invaders. For that matter, what happened to the Anasazi?

OK back to the topic...
Right...hence Americans shouldn't be too shocked by China's supposed imperial attitude. The US was built on it.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:31 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The problem is that nobody asked the people of Tibet if they wanted to be Chinese, the PLA just rolled in and invaded the place.

If you think China simply annexed Tibet as an independent nation, you are largely ignorant of the Chinese history.

Plus, among all the American/UK/France territory, you honestly think nothing was a result of sheer war violence? Give me a break.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:00 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,361,441 times
Quote:
Obviously there was a language issue, but OP never returned? Looks like he is having some problems with the Great Firewall of China. You don't even mention the word "Tibet" in a public forum there without getting, shall we say, attention.
In China, Peoples Repulic of...you don't need to find a party, party finds you.
And I am only half joking, I will be back in China for the 3rd time in a year in a couple weeks.
FTR I contribute actively to this forum and China/Tibet discussions on CD over my phone and computer here without a VPN and have no problem...

I can access CNN stories about Tibet, Xinjiang, Tianenmen, etc that are critical of PRC policy, and do pretty much whenever the stories pop up. Despite all this, I just got my ten year visa to stay here... don't think that they're paying *that* much attention

Old 01-08-2015, 08:18 AM

4,689 posts, read 3,616,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
FTR I contribute actively to this forum and China/Tibet discussions on CD over my phone and computer here without a VPN and have no problem...

I can access CNN stories about Tibet, Xinjiang, Tianenmen, etc that are critical of PRC policy, and do pretty much whenever the stories pop up. Despite all this, I just got my ten year visa to stay here... don't think that they're paying *that* much attention

You know them "evil Chi-coms"...always up to no good!

Old 01-08-2015, 09:22 AM

2,562 posts, read 2,180,745 times
Quote:

That's because the Party could care less about a few foreigners blabbing on some obscure off-shore forum or watching English language news, as it has no impact on 99% of the mainland population.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:38 AM

12,296 posts, read 18,417,176 times
Quote:

My thread was half in jest...
HOWEVER...I've been to China plenty of time for business, I am no stranger to China, will be back in a few weeks. I've had a few strange things happen - enter Tibet in a search engine and a few minutes later see the message "service not available". Once CityData forum was blocked. If you are a resident in China you know how it works - PRC has it's own inconsistent method that never makes sense. Site's may be blocked one day and open the next. Youtube always seems blocked, and they have their own search engine versions of google.
I have a few other stories - my room being searched, tracking software introduced onto my laptop, etc. I created some posts about it in other threads. Visiting businessmen they keep a close watch on, tourists they can care less about. Not a big deal, it's just the cost of doing business in China, I otherwise like traveling there.

Otherwise I have no problem with my China business visa either, which I continuously renew every year. Just that's it's a pain to get. I didn't think they had 10 year visas.

Last edited by Dd714; 01-08-2015 at 09:48 AM..

Old 01-08-2015, 09:43 AM

12,296 posts, read 18,417,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
You know them "evil Chi-coms"...always up to no good!
How many times have you been to China?

Old 01-08-2015, 09:44 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
They would steal from you if they consider your stuff valuable for their "development".
And Tibet is off-limits.

But expats, exchange students, or a few Chinese citizens using VPN just to get some connection with the rest of the world really isn't a big deal for them.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Quote:
How many times have you been to China?
WATCH OUT SHE'S CHINESE SHE'LL EAT YOU ALIVE!!!

Btw Tibet is part of China, unfortunately. There really isn't anything to debate about, it's just a saddening fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia