U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
WATCH OUT SHE'S CHINESE SHE'LL EAT YOU ALIVE!!!

Btw Tibet is part of China, unfortunately. There really isn't anything to debate about, it's just a saddening fact.
HAHA, I highly doubt that. But if she is she can refer me to a good resteraunt in Kunshan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 11:38 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
HAHA, I highly doubt that. But if she is she can refer me to a good resteraunt in Kunshan.
what are you doing in Kunshan? Is it for the new Duke campus?

Old 01-08-2015, 12:42 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
what are you doing in Kunshan? Is it for the new Duke campus?
My company has an outsourced service supplier out there, but we have stuff all over China - direct company offices in Shanghai itself, Beijing, Suzhou, other places.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:34 PM

4,687 posts, read 3,615,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
WATCH OUT SHE'S CHINESE SHE'LL EAT YOU ALIVE!!!

Btw Tibet is part of China, unfortunately. There really isn't anything to debate about, it's just a saddening fact.
Saddening for some, but hugely joyous for others. And very entertaining for me!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:29 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,276,335 times
Tibet is under control of China and no nation state is going to go to war with China over Tibet. Tibet whether anyone likes it, doesn't like it, or doesn't really care is under the control of China and is going to stay that way unless the country falls apart.

Now if we were talking about Taiwan then my answer would be no since Taiwan has its own currency, elects its own leaders, has foreign relations with other nation states and the United States and Japan would possibly (most likely at least Japan) go to war with China if it tried to take over Taiwan forcefully. So in regards to Taiwan, Hong Kong, Tibet, Xinjiang and Macau only Taiwan really is its own nation that doesn't belong to China. The only reason every nation on earth doesn't recognize Taiwan independence is due to not wanting to upset China which essentially has no real claim left on Taiwan and is just pissed off Taiwan is not part of it. .

Old 01-08-2015, 11:57 PM

78,721 posts, read 70,579,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
So this means we (the US) can invade Mexico tomorrow just because it's right next to us?
The US did invade Mexico because it's right next door, and the US wanted more land. 1/2 of Mexico's original territory is now part of the US.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Tibet is under control of China and no nation state is going to go to war with China over Tibet. Tibet whether anyone likes it, doesn't like it, or doesn't really care is under the control of China and is going to stay that way unless the country falls apart.

Now if we were talking about Taiwan then my answer would be no since Taiwan has its own currency, elects its own leaders, has foreign relations with other nation states and the United States and Japan would possibly (most likely at least Japan) go to war with China if it tried to take over Taiwan forcefully. So in regards to Taiwan, Hong Kong, Tibet, Xinjiang and Macau only Taiwan really is its own nation that doesn't belong to China. The only reason every nation on earth doesn't recognize Taiwan independence is due to not wanting to upset China which essentially has no real claim left on Taiwan and is just pissed off Taiwan is not part of it. .
Tibet also had its own currency, elected its own leaders, and had foreign relations with Mongolia and Himalayan nations. Tibet also conquered the Chinese capital for several days when it was located at Chang'an, at the height of the Tibetan empire. You'll have to come up with better reasons for respecting Taiwan's sovereignty and ignoring Tibet's, unless you want to hand Taiwan over to the PRC.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Tibet also had its own currency, elected its own leaders, and had foreign relations with Mongolia and Himalayan nations. Tibet also conquered the Chinese capital for several days when it was located at Chang'an, at the height of the Tibetan empire. You'll have to come up with better reasons for respecting Taiwan's sovereignty and ignoring Tibet's, unless you want to hand Taiwan over to the PRC.
Fine my reason would be possible war with the United States and pretty much guaranteed war with Japan. Not to mention an invasion by China would likely result in about 10 million deaths. I can't see that sitting to well with the populace and considering the current leader of China is doing all he can to have rivals assassinated and imprisoned I doubt that taking over Taiwan and getting millions of Chinese killed in the process not to mention potentially kick starting WW3 would be in his best interest if he wants himself and the communist party to stay in power.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:11 AM

Well, the KMT has been in favor of "reunification". So maybe next time the KMT wins a presidential election, reunification would happen more peacefully.

And President Carter abrogated the US defense treaty with Taiwan. If a later President drafted another treaty, I missed it. But no intervention by the US would be needed if Taiwan willingly unified with the Mainland.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:24 AM

President Bush said that the United States would defend Taiwan if China invaded Collin Powell stated that the United States wouldn't. The United States still sell arms to Taiwan regardless of the fact it enrages China. Yet the US goes along with the "One China" policy. Leadership in China always gets mixed messages about whether the United States would go to war with China over Taiwan. Which if you think about it's smart since it keeps Chinese leadership wondering if they ever invade Taiwan if they would have to fight the US as well. Considering that there relationship with the United States is more valuable then gaining control of Taiwan it doesn't make sense to launch a military campaign to conquer it. Now if the US stated they don't care if China invades Taiwan then well...invasion would be less risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia