Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 11:21 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

I'm probably in the minority here on this, but I like Singapore. Would be interesting if they had a lot more land, which would imply rural areas, countryside, etc.

I like the Indian, chinese, malay mix of both Singapore and Malaysia. But SG just has a more interesting overall nature to it. Wish it was a much larger country than it actually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 11:33 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,511,670 times
I agree.

And I have one to add here.

Wouldn't it be cool if France had more land. Historically Great Britan led Europe, I don't think that would be the case if France was a wee bit larger.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:01 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Yes. More land would be nice. Reclamation has added a little bit of land but not enough to make a difference. It's getting terribly crowded, elbow to elbow in the malls and the MRT.

There are places to get away from crowds even in congested Singapore. A little gem I recently discovered was Kent Ridge Park. Went on a weekday and it was almost deserted.

Pulau Ubin Island off Singapore is also a good spot to get away from crowds if you go on a weekday. Walking and bicycle trails and an old Kampong feel like long ago Singapore.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:24 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Malaysia could be like Singapore now if the usual political cap hadn't held it back. If not for the tunku feeling threatened by Singapore's Chinese majority it would be part of Malaysia today. I don't know if you're in the minority, maybe Australians have a better perception of Singapore but for everyone who doesn't like it there's at least someone who does. Then again a lot of Australians have been to Singapore.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
I agree.

And I have one to add here.

Wouldn't it be cool if France had more land. Historically Great Britan led Europe, I don't think that would be the case if France was a wee bit larger.
France is already big, it's the largest country in western Europe and twice the size of Great Britain. About four times the size of England itself.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:33 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Why not build further up with the skyscrapers and build subterranean cities, too?

Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Malaysia could be like Singapore now if the usual political cap hadn't held it back. If not for the tunku feeling threatened by Singapore's Chinese majority it would be part of Malaysia today. I don't know if you're in the minority, maybe Australians have a better perception of Singapore but for everyone who doesn't like it there's at least someone who does. Then again a lot of Australians have been to Singapore.
And if is part of Malaysia right now, Singapore wouldnt be as awesome as now, it would be more Penangish. The regional business center would be shifted to other capital cities of southeast asia.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:17 PM

199 posts, read 336,422 times
How long does it take to:
1. drive across Singapore from end to end
2. circle around the island

Quote:
I doubt Der Kaiser und Preußen would allow that to happen...

Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
How long does it take to:
1. drive across Singapore from end to end
2. circle around the island

I doubt Der Kaiser und Preußen would allow that to happen...
About an hour from say Changi to Tuas in light traffic.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:34 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,644 times
I will be cool if Singapore can annex Johor but that is next to impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia