U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 04:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,671 times

Advertisements

Hi, since English is not my first language, I hope you can understand what I wrote.

I have some questions I would like to hear opinions from members of this forum:

Is it possible for foreigners (especially Non-Asian) to get a work visa and then work in Japan or South Korea(except teaching English)?

We all know that the majority of foreigners work in Japan as English teachers, but what about teaching other languages?
Can a French/German/Spanish speaker find teaching jobs in Japan easily? Does he or she need any special degree or certification? Would you say there are many opportunities for teaching foreigner languages other than English in Japan?

Besides teaching jobs, I know (from articles, blogs) there are some foreigners who work in Japanese companies or corporations as translator, journalist, photographer or graphic designer, but they are all like experts in their career fields and have decent Japanese language skills. So I wonder whether they are just a small number or are actually quite common. Do you know or have ever met anyone who has worked in Japanese companies in Japan with his or her professional skills?

I donít know much about South Korea and assume that there aren't many differences between these two countries in terms of job opportunities for foreigners. However, I have heard that Koreans are generally more outgoing and more enthusiastic about learning foreign cultures than the Japanese are. Besides, it seems have less regulations than Japan does. Do you think these qualities would bring more opportunities or make it easier for foreigners who want to work there?

I ask these questions because some foreign friends of mine (from non-English speaking countries) have dreams about working in Japan & South Korea and we have discussed about the possibilities. I do want to encourage them but Iím sure in reality it is much more difficult than one might think. All foreigners I personally know who have worked in Japan are Americans and Canadians teaching English there.

Can anyone in this forum who have been to or worked in both countries provide some advice or success stories? Thank you in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 05:06 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,073,611 times
Occupation necessary to Japan.

Construction worker
Factory workers
Caregiver
Girl Model
Russian teacher

Mazda Route 3 Finale - YouTube

Last edited by japanese001; 03-28-2014 at 05:51 AM..

Old 03-28-2014, 10:48 AM

183 posts, read 210,461 times
Unless you work for a company that will hire you in Korea, it's extremely hard to get a job.
I know guys who worked for tech companies in Seoul but they were coders. And they worked in an international setting.
So if you have no special skills it will be hard to make a living in Korea. But that goes for any foreign country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or