U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-28-2014, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833

Advertisements

Khmer and Vietnamese are supposed to be in the same family, the Mon-Khmer/Austro-Asiatic family, yet to me they don't really sound similar. My Vietnamese friend says she actually understands basically no Khmer. She understands more Chinese but that's mostly due to borrowing. I'm sure there are some similarities with Khmer (Cambodian), but to my ears Khmer sounds more similar to Thai but just not tonal. Of course it probably shares more words with Khmer, and Vietnamese vocabulary is about half Chinese.

Culturally, of course, Vietnam and Cambodia are pretty different, but I'm talking more about the language here. I don't know if many here are experts but it'd be interesting to hear comments/observations/opinions.

 
Old 03-28-2014, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
Reputation: 219
To me they seem more like Thai rather than Vietnamese, i mean in Cambodia you can actually see lots of similarity between them and the Thais, from the temple to people.

I am however no expert :P
 
Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 PM
 
45 posts, read 88,382 times
Reputation: 18
Actually, the Muong and Tho languages sounds quite similar to Khmer as you can see in the video below. The Muong and Tho people are closely related to Kinh Vietnamese, most often times being completely indistinguishable, and yet their language sounds much closer to Khmer than Northern Vietnamese. I believe this is due to the fact that Vietnamese came into contact with Sinitic and Tai languages while Muong remained isolated and thereby preserved the original form of their language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpl6_axbkt8
 
Old 03-28-2014, 09:30 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, California
1,953 posts, read 5,201,777 times
Reputation: 2294
the Khmer seem more related to the Burmese
 
Old 03-28-2014, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aromesaveur View Post
Actually, the Muong and Tho languages sounds quite similar to Khmer as you can see in the video below. The Muong and Tho people are closely related to Kinh Vietnamese, most often times being completely indistinguishable, and yet their language sounds much closer to Khmer than Northern Vietnamese. I believe this is due to the fact that Vietnamese came into contact with Sinitic and Tai languages while Muong remained isolated and thereby preserved the original form of their language.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpl6_axbkt8
Yes several Tai languages like Zhuang still exist in southern China, like Guangxi, and also Hainan, represented by the Li people. I believe the core homeland of the Viets is the Red River delta to Guangxi province in China.
 
Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
To me they seem more like Thai rather than Vietnamese, i mean in Cambodia you can actually see lots of similarity between them and the Thais, from the temple to people.

I am however no expert :P
Culturally yes, the similarities between Khmer and Thai are more obvious. Khmer often claim Thai took all their culture from them, from religion, architecture.etc. For a time they conquered Angkor Wat. The town of Siem Reap near Angkor literally translates as 'Siam defeated'. The animosity between the two peoples continues to this day.
 
Old 03-28-2014, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
the Khmer seem more related to the Burmese
Yes the Khmer and Burmese tend to have more Indian influence than other Southeast Asians.
 
Old 03-28-2014, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes the Khmer and Burmese tend to have more Indian influence than other Southeast Asians.
Eh? i always thought that classic Indonesian culture is more similar to the Khmers than the Khmers to the Burmese. I mean from the music, dances, costumes, monuments and ancient temples etc, there are more similarity between the two than those the Burmese had. The ancient king of the Khmers have strong ties with the Javanese king too.
 
Old 03-28-2014, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Eh? i always thought that classic Indonesian culture is more similar to the Khmers than the Khmers to the Burmese. I mean from the music, dances, costumes, monuments and ancient temples etc, there are more similarity between the two than those the Burmese had. The ancient king of the Khmers have strong ties with the Javanese king too.
Hmmm I don't know that much but yeah, I think all three cultures are similar, although I wonder how Hindu Burma was.
 
Old 03-29-2014, 08:56 PM
 
318 posts, read 487,262 times
Reputation: 184
Here in the U.S a lot of Vietnamese immigrants I see look Chinese, but most Khmer immigrants I see do not look Chinese. Most of them resemble other Southeast Asians like Filipinos and Thais.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top