U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:24 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,266,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
1. Sunni vs. Shiite - Probably the most geopolitically significant rivalry in "Asia" at the moment.

2. Israel vs. Palestine/Arabs - A lot of mudthrowing, bombing, defamation and all around nastiness going both ways.

3. India vs. Pakistan - I wouldn't say there is as much "hate" as with 1 & 2, but there is a pathological obsession with India amongst the Pakistani military and small section of the general Pakistani populace.
How much does Islam's disdain of Hinduism play into it?

Old 03-29-2014, 06:47 PM

2,300 posts, read 3,401,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
How much does Islam's disdain of Hinduism play into it?
One can't say for sure. In the real world, most Pakistanis(at least the ones that I've met) are rather affable , cosmopolitan, and strongly disagree with terrorism(including state sponsored terrorism). In the virtual world, go to any poorly moderated news site with comments(cnn.com comes to mind) and read the comments on any article about India. I imagine it's mostly individuals who are Pakistani(perhaps astro-turfers?) making the anti-Hindu/Indian comments. You'll also see some posters on this site attempting to justify state sponsored terrorism and the political role that the Pakistani military plays in Pakistan. I've also noticed a anti-Indian/Hindu bias in articles on Arab/Ismalic news outlets such as Al-Jazeera.

When it comes down to it, extremely religious people of any creed tend to have a certain disdain for anything that is contradictory to their version of the "truth."

I'd say the issues that Pakistan has with India are more political than religious. The Pakistani military views rivalry with India as one of the fundamental foundations(aside from being an Islamic state) for the existence of the Pakistani state. It also helps that it cements the power that the Pakistani military has within Pakistan itself.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,373,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
One can't say for sure. In the real world, most Pakistanis(at least the ones that I've met) are rather affable , cosmopolitan, and strongly disagree with terrorism(including state sponsored terrorism). In the virtual world, go to any poorly moderated news site with comments(cnn.com comes to mind) and read the comments on any article about India. I imagine it's mostly individuals who are Pakistani(perhaps astro-turfers?) making the anti-Hindu/Indian comments. You'll also see some posters on this site attempting to justify state sponsored terrorism and the political role that the Pakistani military plays in Pakistan. I've also noticed a anti-Indian/Hindu bias in articles on Arab/Ismalic news outlets such as Al-Jazeera.

When it comes down to it, extremely religious people of any creed tend to have a certain disdain for anything that is contradictory to their version of the "truth."

I'd say the issues that Pakistan has with India are more political than religious. The Pakistani military views rivalry with India as one of the fundamental foundations(aside from being an Islamic state) for the existence of the Pakistani state. It also helps that it cements the power that the Pakistani military has within Pakistan itself.
The Pakistani military needs the "threat of India" to maintain it's position of power in the country. It's a common tactic that has historically been used to deflect internal criticism of a regime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia