U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Beijing Was Its Own Country, Would You Consider It A First World Country ?
YES 8 21.05%
NO 30 78.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:17 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,010,700 times

Advertisements

To me its like living in a poisoned ant pile with other ants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 11:22 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,724,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Does Beijing have the same high standard of living as Japan, South Korea, and fully developed Western nations ?

Or does Beijing have a lot of bone crushing poverty just like Manila and Bangkok for example ?
I would say more the latter, but it's not so much the favela kind of poverty as overworked factory slave type poverty.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:06 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,615,943 times
Locals all have their private housing. If they sell the properties they become rich (if moving to a cheap place to live).
Beijing does not have a lot of factories like Guangdong or Shanghai Metro. Most migrant workers are in service industry and construction. If I have to pick one city to live in China, I will pick Beijing.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:54 AM

4,706 posts, read 3,622,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Locals all have their private housing. If they sell the properties they become rich (if moving to a cheap place to live).
Beijing does not have a lot of factories like Guangdong or Shanghai Metro. Most migrant workers are in service industry and construction. If I have to pick one city to live in China, I will pick Beijing.
I would have picked Qingdao, except that the authorities there just nabbed three Qingdao officials for secretly rearing endangered Amur tigers for their bones and pelts (one of the tiger cubs jumped out of a high rise window to its death)....So you see, even in the best of Chinese cities, there are plenty ignorant and ugly Chinese, officials no less.

They need to ban Chinese traditional medicine completely; it's just quack medicine unsupported by science and it's driving the extinction of animals like tigers, rhino, pangolins, sharks, and a whole list of endangered animals. Ignorance aplenty in China.

No where in China can it be considered First World until the Chinese people learn to live like modern civilized people with a sense of civic responsibility. Their selfishness and ignorance condemn China to backward status, no matter how many miles of high speed rail, or how many sky scrapers China has.

Last edited by pennyone; 03-20-2015 at 03:04 AM..

Old 03-20-2015, 03:13 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,132,830 times
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no. Hell no.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:44 AM

64 posts, read 65,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no. Hell no.

this is gdp per capita of different areas in China. some parts of china already surpass taiwan. within 10-15 years eastern coast of china has the opportunity to have the standard of living like Taiwan. there is areas in china still stuck behind....gdp per capital below 2000. poorer than a lot of countries in Africa. this is the huge disparity in China.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:27 AM

4,706 posts, read 3,622,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samngchaoyu View Post

this is gdp per capita of different areas in China. some parts of china already surpass taiwan. within 10-15 years eastern coast of china has the opportunity to have the standard of living like Taiwan. there is areas in china still stuck behind....gdp per capital below 2000. poorer than a lot of countries in Africa. this is the huge disparity in China.
Great that at least parts of China will be as rich as taiwan in terms of per capita. But like I stated before, it's the quality of the people that makes a place first or third world. This is why many part of the US, in my opinion, is also very much third world too. China has many third world thinking people, even when they live in first world parts of China in terms of gdp per capita.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:30 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,615,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samngchaoyu View Post

GDP is not an accurate measure of living standards though. Some cities have high GDP per capita because they produce oil and gas, but those places are not very developed.
Other places in western China seem to have very low GDP per capita, but actually many young people do not live there but send money back there.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:09 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,278,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I visited Beijing last in the mid-2000's and it was really coming up at that time. There were really first rate areas (similar to NYC Manhattan, as an example), but really poor, dilapidated areas, very close by. The contrast between rich and poor, was very significant. It needs a long way to go, before it is first rate.
Beijing looks rich and polished at the expense of China. In fact, Beijing wouldn't be able to survive alone if "it were its own country" - it feeds on the provinces. So this question is irrelevant because if Beijing chooses to be independent, hypothetically, its citizens will probably starve and there will be no money from grab from elsewhere. Unlike Shanghai area, Beijing is surrounded by poverty and is in nowhere self-sustainable.

About 10 years ago, I read somewhere that typical Shanghainese living standard was similar to Portugal. I believe it is relatively accurate. Today, Shanghai and nearby Yangzte river delta areas probably is as wealthy as Spain, or maybe slightly behind.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:17 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,278,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I would say more the latter, but it's not so much the favela kind of poverty as overworked factory slave type poverty.
slave is an extreme word. These people work long hours to make money and they can quit their job any minute they want. It is China, but people still have the total freedom to quit their job.

They work longer hours because they have to and want to. How else do you think China grows by 10% a year for decades? 30 years ago, a bicycle was considered an important asset, and most families didn't have AC or refrigerators. Today, millions of personal cars run on the streets. Do you think they achieved this by working an easy 7 hour shift plus 15 vacation days and a year of maternity leave?

In order to get richer and have a better life, they sacrifice leisure, the entire generation, and there is nothing to laugh at. The Greeks have an easy non-slave life and look at where they got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or