U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2014, 01:58 AM
 
55 posts, read 99,402 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mien View Post
LOL No it's because they all agreed with me at the end(including the postman too).

If they really believe what the postman posted was realistic(and not some source of bull$hit), why do they even made these comments on him?(and they did none to me lol)






Anyway, and now you are getting upset or something that the postman turn himself?
Sure...because they all agreed with you at the end like they actually cared they didn't even bother to comment on or want to involve in what you were saying. They didn't even oppose what I said, either. Can I say they agreed with me? Lol. the point is when people just automatically labeled the dark guys "Thais", it shows what they perceive what is the average, common Thai look. by the way, i'm far from being upset at postman because i know what he said about the northern thais are already what he inserted before, that there are people who would look like Chinese.

Last edited by eugene_allen; 06-21-2014 at 02:27 AM..

 
Old 06-21-2014, 02:30 AM
 
76 posts, read 263,133 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_allen View Post
Sure...because they all agreed with you at the end like they actually cared they didn't even bother to comment on or want to involve in what you were saying. the point is when people just automatically labeled the dark guys "Thais", it shows what they perceive what is the average, common Thai look. by the way, i'm far from being upset at postman because i know what he said about the northern thais are already what he inserted before, that there are people who would look like Chinese.
People in those "famous tourist area" = average? And are representing the national average look? Is that your ideology?

In fact this is the "reason" why observation of some individual isn't "accurate" to the comparison of hundreds of athlete(which picked from "every area of the country from North to Center to South to East to West" and are actually what is represent "average look", not just only people who lives in a certain "famous tourist" areas like those individuals have visited).
Quote:
Observation of individual means nothing and doesn't has any weight as long as that individual didn't actually has full 100% experience of both places he tried to compare.

And definitely the main thing that some ignorant tourists has such "stereotype" that way is mainly due geographic.

When tourist visits Thailand, 80% of the time they will go for Southern Thailand and ignore Northern Thailand(and Laos) because Southern Thailand geographically has beach while Northern Thailand(and Laos) are landlocked. All the "famous" places of Thailand that are well know to the tourists such as Phuket,Pattaya,Hatyai all of them are in the South which has beach.

On another hand Northern Thailand/Upper-Eastern Thailand or even Center Thailand which geographic of highland/mountainous aren't popular for the tourist to visit. Very few tourist would take their chance to visit the area.

Now when we look at Vietnam, all the places in Vietnam from North to South are equally visited by the tourists, because there are beach everywhere from North to South.

So most of the time tourists only see the face of people in Southern Thailand while never have chance to see face of people in Northern Thailand. For Vietnam they see all kind of face of people in Vietnam since North to South.

So basically, experiences/personal observation of those tourists means nothing, has zero weight and definitely unfair. Because it's not like all of them have same amount of experiences in both countries. They may have more experience in one country and has less in another one
So you are telling there is not a single human lives where the tourist doesn't go?
 
Old 06-21-2014, 02:49 AM
 
55 posts, read 99,402 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mien View Post
People in those "famous tourist area" = average? And are representing the national average look? Is that your ideology?

In fact this is the "reason" why observation of some individual isn't "accurate" to the comparison of hundreds of athlete(which picked from "every area of the country from North to Center to South to East to West" and are actually what is represent "average look", not just only people who lives in a certain "famous tourist" areas like those individuals have visited).


So you are telling there is not a single human lives where the tourist doesn't go?
All right. Push harder, mien. Lol it may become true. 75% of the Thai population is confined somewhere else tourists can't see or is invisible on the news Thailand is a strange country where only small dark ethnic minorities are visible.
 
Old 06-21-2014, 03:09 AM
 
76 posts, read 263,133 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_allen View Post
All right. Push harder, mien. Lol it may become true. 75% of the Thai population is confined somewhere else tourists can't see or is invisible on the news Thailand is a strange country where only small dark ethnic minorities are visible.
Yes is correct....

Because there are only 3 places(with the exception of Bangkok which they get down from their airplane) that 90% of tourist who visit Thailand would end up at. Phuket,Pattaya,Hatyai that is it, all of them are located in Southern Thailand, and Southern Thailand has population of 13% out of whole Thailand.

So what you said is definitely more than true that majority of Thai population, didn't lives in the popular area where tourist generally visit.(and that is the main reason athletes of the Thai team which selected from every area of the country on average look nothing similar to the people in those few area where it's popular to the tourist).

Last edited by Mien; 06-21-2014 at 03:36 AM..
 
Old 07-07-2014, 01:29 PM
 
4 posts, read 5,563 times
Reputation: 15
Wrong statement earlier in the thread. It claims that Hoa people made of most of the boat people. This is not even close to true. In the first wave in 1975, they made up 14 percent of the refugees. Most Hoa left in the late 70s and early 80s. In 2013 the Hoa made up around 11.5 percent of the Vietnamese American population of over 1.7 million.



Source:
Trieu, M.M. (2013). Chinese-Vietnamese Americans. In X. Zhao, & E.J. Park (Eds.), Asian Americans: An Encyclopedia of Social, Cultural, Economic, and Political History (pp. 305-310). Santa Barbara, USA: Greenwood.


And about the Thai being the most East Asian looking... I dont know, and I dont care. Its certainly something I have never heard of before. The Thais I have met have never striked me as East Asian.


If you look at culture, PISA or IQ results (sensitive subject)... whatever, we are closer to East Asia than Thailand is, and that is even with Thailand having a whopping 14 % of the population of Chinese heritage, and Vietnam having around 1%. Its probably easy to think of the Thai Chinese as representatives of the general Thai population too, as they are better integrated there than in the rest of Southeast Asia.
 
Old 07-08-2014, 05:11 AM
 
Location: West Jakarta + Tangerang
376 posts, read 744,940 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanchinese View Post
Just read this comment so I think maybe I can share about my opinion as Chinese Indonesian . As Chinese Indonesian from Sumatera, I would say that in my city (Palembang), Chinese Indonesian tend to be more conservative than Chinese Indonesian who live in Java. Actually, in Palembang itself, many Chinese Indonesian speaks Chinese with their own family, some speaks Hokkien while some speaks Mandarin with their family (I speak Mandarin with my family). Although many Chinese Indonesian in Palembang speaks Chinese with their family, many also speaks Indonesian with their family. Interestingly, some of my friends say that they only can understand Chinese, but can't speak Chinese. They can understand many simple phrases like Soy muk/Kun (Sleep in Hakka/Hokkien), Sit fon/Ciak peng(pui) (Eat rice in Hakka/Hokkien), and some swore words like Ke*, Lancia*, Wahla*, Ciba* . Btw Medan people usually are very good for conversing in Hokkien.

Most of Chinese Indonesian in my city are Buddhist/Taoist, while some are Protestant or Catholic (Like me). Chinese Catholic tend to be more 'tolerant' with Buddhist/Taoist practices such as burning incenses, bowing to Buddha/Kwanim etc, and 'honoring' ancestors, while the Protestants usually detest all of that practices, and they call it as 'berhala' or 'idols'.

I'm a Catholic but not too devout. I pray everyday and sometimes I go to mass but I'm not a really religious guy. My mother is Catholic, and so my brother and sister. But my father is Buddhist/Taoist, and I would say that I go to Temple more often than I attend a mass. Same as my friends, some are Christian (Catholic or Protestant) while some of them are Buddhist. I think my generation (Chinese Indonesian) isn't really religious or devout in religion. One of my Buddhist friend even went to Vihara just once a year. But we are really really excited in celebrating Chinese festivals like Chinese New Year (Money money money~), Duanwu Festival (We call it Bakcang day in Palembang), Mid-Autumn Festival (We call it Mooncake day ). I think the only major festival that Chinese Indonesian in Palembang don't really celebrate is Hungry Ghost Festival. When I ask my friend about it, they would say ''What's that? Never heard about it until you mention it to me'', or ''Is it a Chinese festival ?'' but I don't know about other cities.


Racism is of course, prevalent in my city, but not in-my-face style. More like snark or sarcasm. Some of my classmate would refer Chinese as 'pigs' or 'barbarous people who eats pork'. But some are even vocal in hating Chinese. It happened to me, I was walking in front of my classroom but suddenly a group of people run to every Chinese and say ''Cino kau ?? Potong be kont*l kau'' (''You Chinese ?? Just slice your d*ck !). Recently in my class, many 'locals' would invent a really really creative pejorative term for Chinese that is 'Cipang' which is Cino and Kampang. It roughly means 'Chinese bastard'. Actually 'Kampang' itself is a really common swore word in Palembang, even between friends would call each other 'kampang', but when you use it to someone who you're not really close with or you say it seriously, it's a reaaaaaaaaaaaaally bad word. Once my friend were called 'Cipang' many times, I got very angry then I stared them while saying 'Apedio kauni cipang cipang, kautuna sund* kampang' ('Could you just shut up ? You Sund* bastard')
You are not Chinese but "Tionghoa" and now in Indonesia there is no term you are Chinese !!!! you stay in Palembang does not mean your life the same as in with the Chinese who live in Jakarta, Bandung,Java totally defferent , there you may still look different, but I here see a tionghoan lot of already Indonesian look , but some from them very chinese / korean look .
Han Chinese only applies to Your ancestors who came from mainland China taken by the Dutch during the Dutch East Indies for working in plantations and mines in Sumatra island then there famous is name chinese Palembang, Medan , Padang , Bangka etc,.
I know ancestors chinese Java came hundreds of years ago maybe they are businessmen and do not be surprised why chinese Java richer compared to other chinese Indonesia

Chinese from Sumatera living in Jakarta, they join their brothers of Palembang, Medan, Bangka, Kalimantan which as traders in Glodok, Mangga Dua, Roxy etc and they are also working as a seller of noodles, food etc. I see a lot of chinese Sumatran skin color & face has been much the same with nativ Indonsian only different you have a Mongol eyes.
^^^they are racist towards you because there is cause.." there can be no smoke if there is no fire"..

Last edited by stevania01; 07-08-2014 at 05:20 AM..
 
Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Pilipinas
282 posts, read 607,186 times
Reputation: 40
First impression Asians basically Chinese If it's yellow, Malay if its brown, Indian as it is..

That's for me. Upon approaching them eventually, it will surface then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top