U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2014, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,148,875 times
Reputation: 219

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Some of the people in the video looked 'mixed', although Austronesians and S.Chinese don't look all that different.

Oh yeah, the riots and stuff? Don't know much about it but I think I've heard about it. I guess there was resentment that the Chinese were so rich/controlling so much wealth. The 'Jews of Asia'.

Yes, it seemed the Dutch imprint was very minimal. The British East Indian company soon took over Ceylon. Some of the remnants of that period, like the church at Galle, can still be seen. Taiwan/Formosa also has some Dutch buildings/forts.

Does Indonesia have anything comparable to George Town, Penang, or even Macau in terms of colonial architecture?
I guest its kinda true about the Chinese resentment due to their wealth but also: communism (history of communist purge) + provocation and propaganda.

Hmm i don't think we have an area as pure as Georgetown or Malacca, but perhaps the size of Macau. Best colonial quarter would have been: Semarang, Sawahlunto, Yogyakarta, Malang, Padang.. but minor cities like Singkawang, Mataram, Tegal, etc also not bad. In terms of architectural quality, Jakarta, Surabaya and Bandung. If you understand how the colonial style looked like you would realize how much actually the Dutch have left in Indonesian cities. But their architectural style is definitely inferior to the British imperial mughal hybrid in India.

Dutch colonial architecture:
*| Dutch colonial architecture ‎around the world. - Page 15 - SkyscraperCity

 
Old 06-14-2014, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,269,689 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
I guest its kinda true about the Chinese resentment due to their wealth but also: communism (history of communist purge) + provocation and propaganda.

Hmm i don't think we have an area as pure as Georgetown or Malacca, but perhaps the size of Macau. Best colonial quarter would have been: Semarang, Sawahlunto, Yogyakarta, Malang, Padang.. but minor cities like Singkawang, Mataram, Tegal, etc also not bad. In terms of architectural quality, Jakarta, Surabaya and Bandung. If you understand how the colonial style looked like you would realize how much actually the Dutch have left in Indonesian cities. But their architectural style is definitely inferior to the British imperial mughal hybrid in India.

Dutch colonial architecture:
*| Dutch colonial architecture ‎around the world. - Page 15 - SkyscraperCity
It's a complex issue...I mean I can understand how someone might be resentful of a class of people who were over-represented in the wealthy classes and who seemed to be elitist/not mix with the locals (dunno how true that is of course, you'd have some idea I imagine), but the riots etc were pretty crazy, 1,000 people died? Wow. Yeah it's a shameful period in Indonesia's history.

Yeah, it's less known. Singapore still has a lot of pretty nice colonial buildings, moreso than say HK at least...even KL too, but not like George Town, Malacca and of course India (and even Burma).
 
Old 06-14-2014, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,148,875 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's a complex issue...I mean I can understand how someone might be resentful of a class of people who were over-represented in the wealthy classes and who seemed to be elitist/not mix with the locals (dunno how true that is of course, you'd have some idea I imagine), but the riots etc were pretty crazy, 1,000 people died? Wow. Yeah it's a shameful period in Indonesia's history.

Yeah, it's less known. Singapore still has a lot of pretty nice colonial buildings, moreso than say HK at least...even KL too, but not like George Town, Malacca and of course India (and even Burma).
Yeah singapore does have lots of colonial building, but its not hard to notice that half of them are the rebuilt version. Unfortunately for singapore the current marina bay is where their old cbd is, so the high quality british offices is long but gone replaced with skyscraper. In indo the old shophouses are continuesly turning to ruko, but the old cbd is still there for some of the cities, like jakarta's kali besar area, since the current cbd grow on top of the residential of menteng which saw major losses of ex colonial mansions or semarang ex walled city area complete with the canal and dutch drawbridge.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 11:24 AM
 
96 posts, read 99,342 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
same in Little Saigon in the US , it seems most business owners are actually ethnic Chinese not Vietnamese

many of them told me they are Chinese, but speak Vietnamese & Chinese and some dont speak Chinese anymore

if you ever go to the meat markets in Little Saigon it seem they speak Chinese / Cantonese
Actually a lot of Vietnamese emigrated to the US are ethnic Chinese "Hoa". Is that the case then?
 
Old 06-15-2014, 11:25 AM
 
96 posts, read 99,342 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
Oh look, another divide-and-conquer thread

This is why the West will always be ahead of the East: while Europe gradually builds its European Union, Asian nations have hangups about their colonial past, World War II, territorial disputes, etc.
I'm sure the west loves it (such as the OP agent provocateur) whenever a successful Asian vs. Asian dispute/argument is created.
This is a disgusting comment. A lot of the territorial disputes in the world today are created by the west in the past. That includes a lot of disputes in Asia.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 11:29 AM
 
96 posts, read 99,342 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Whether they would identify themself as Chinese Indonesians or just plainly Indonesian varies, but mostly they wouldn't mention they're Chinese unless you ask them.
For fear of discrimination and violence like what happened in 1998?
 
Old 06-15-2014, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,269,689 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Yeah singapore does have lots of colonial building, but its not hard to notice that half of them are the rebuilt version. Unfortunately for singapore the current marina bay is where their old cbd is, so the high quality british offices is long but gone replaced with skyscraper. In indo the old shophouses are continuesly turning to ruko, but the old cbd is still there for some of the cities, like jakarta's kali besar area, since the current cbd grow on top of the residential of menteng which saw major losses of ex colonial mansions or semarang ex walled city area complete with the canal and dutch drawbridge.
No Marina Bay is mostly built on 're-claimed' land from the ocean. The old CBD, like Beach Rd.etc, is basically around where the Raffles Hotel, St. Andrew's etc is. Rebuilt version? Like what? Most are original. Singapore still has a lot of shophouses too, in the old city, Boat and Clarke Quay, Kallang, Bugis, Geylang, Katong, Chinatown etc. The Asian Civilisation Museum, Fullerton Hotel.etc. But yeah, of course there was destruction too (like in most cities). It definitely fared a lot better than Hong Kong.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,555 posts, read 9,431,995 times
Reputation: 6724
I guess they view them through their eyes if they are able to see.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,148,875 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
No Marina Bay is mostly built on 're-claimed' land from the ocean. The old CBD, like Beach Rd.etc, is basically around where the Raffles Hotel, St. Andrew's etc is. Rebuilt version? Like what? Most are original. Singapore still has a lot of shophouses too, in the old city, Boat and Clarke Quay, Kallang, Bugis, Geylang, Katong, Chinatown etc. The Asian Civilisation Museum, Fullerton Hotel.etc. But yeah, of course there was destruction too (like in most cities). It definitely fared a lot better than Hong Kong.
Along the furleton hotel (ex: post office) there used to be more old buildings there but now its mainly offices. Some of those shophouses you see today are not original, you could try and do research about it. But compared to hk of course its far more fared.
 
Old 06-15-2014, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,269,689 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Along the furleton hotel (ex: post office) there used to be more old buildings there but now its mainly offices. Some of those shophouses you see today are not original, you could try and do research about it. But compared to hk of course its far more fared.
I know a lot aren't, but some are. Not to the extent of Penang or Malacca but it's not accurate to compare Singapore to Hong Kong or Tokyo, there's more heritage than you think. And yeah, Marina Bay was of course not the original centre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top