Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 PM

76 posts, read 402,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareno999 View Post
Actually a lot of Vietnamese emigrated to the US are ethnic Chinese "Hoa". Is that the case then?
Oversea Vietnamese aren't actually representive of Vietnam. It true which everyone know that Oversea Vietnamese are mostly Chinese ethnic(Hoa) who were forced to leave Vietnam at 1975.

Vietnamese on the streets of Vietnam are the best representive.

Last edited by Mien; 06-19-2014 at 09:31 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 10:16 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,666,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mien View Post
Oversea Vietnamese aren't actually representive of Vietnam. It true which everyone know that Oversea Vietnamese are mostly Chinese ethnic(Hoa) who were forced to leave Vietnam at 1975.

Vietnamese on the streets of Vietnam are the best representive.

I think I read somewhere about a quarter of Vietnamese in Australia are Hoa. The Vietnamese here don't look different to the ones in Saigon. The Vietnamese in Hanoi look more 'Chinese' than either HCMC or here. They are the 'purest' Vietnamese (least Khmer, other non-Viet Austroasiatic) genetically speaking.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:24 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,059,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
In my country Chinese youths are seen as book smart nerds and Filipino youths are seen as Asian versions of Eminem who wish they were Black.

The model minority label does not apply to Filipino youths in America. Plus Filipino youths in America feel more racial kinship with Tongans and Samoans than they do with the Chinese.
People applied the smart label to Filipinos when I was growing up.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Filipinos in America are too culturally Black to be into that Mark Zuckerberg tech nerd $hit.
Have you actually met a Filipino in America? I'm going with no.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Do you have something against Filipinos? The Filipinos i know are educated, hard working, and very cordial...not sure where you are getting this wannabe black stuff from.
He obviously does. Even my husband (born and raised in the Philippines) thinks that guy's off his rocker.

Filipinos hate whites? Ummmmm, so many people in the Philippines want to have a baby with a white person so said baby can become a famous actor/actress. Filipinos on average love white people.

Where I grew up we had a lot of diversity. My schools were 30% white, 30% Hispanic, and 30% Asian. Asians were almost always thought of as extremely good students because they usually worked the hardest due to being pushed by their parents. ALL Asians were given that label. I'll change that to all who were thought of as Asian were given that label.

Indians were not considered Asian but were considered Indian. Middle Easterners were considered Middle Easterners, and we didn't have too many of either one of those groups.

Most of the Asians in my area were Vietnamese, but we had a decent number of Filipinos and a smattering of most of the other East and Southeast Asian countries. If you went to another part of town the Vietnamese changed to Korean, but the label didn't change.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think I read somewhere about a quarter of Vietnamese in Australia are Hoa. The Vietnamese here don't look different to the ones in Saigon. The Vietnamese in Hanoi look more 'Chinese' than either HCMC or here. They are the 'purest' Vietnamese (least Khmer, other non-Viet Austroasiatic) genetically speaking.
Northern Vietnamese been mixing with Han-Chinese for 1000 years during the ocupiration.

How are they "purest"?

Vietnamese in the north are obviously historically mixed even more than one in the South.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Northern Vietnamese been mixing with Han-Chinese for 1000 years during the ocupiration.

How are they "purest"?

Vietnamese in the north are obviously mixed as much as the one in the South.
I read a third of Hoa males are married to another ethnicity, mostly Vietnamese, so many Hoa in the South are mixed with Viet.

Well I'm not really one for 'genetic purity', but the Vietnamese and Southern Chinese have more of a common heritage, whereas Vietnamese and Khmer/Cham are more different.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:41 PM

55 posts, read 137,939 times
Filipino Americans, on average, have the second highest annual income among Asians, only after Indians

Old 06-19-2014, 10:46 PM

There are also definitely no different between Austroasiantic(Mon-Khmer) race either (Cambodian,Vietnamese, Wa, Blang, Suy, De'ang). All ethnics under this race group shared same origin,same language, same physical appearance. It not possible for them to be different as long as they didn't mixed and get influence from outsider.

Same thing going on to all the race group such as Altaic,Turkish,Tai-Kadai,Sino-Tibetan, Austronesian,Hmong-Mien.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
There are also definitely no different between Austroasiantic(Mon-Khmer) race either (Cambodian,Vietnamese, Wa, Blang, Suy, De'ang). All ethnics under this race group shared same origin,same language, same physical appearance. It not possible for them to be different as long as they didn't mixed and get influence from outsider.

Same thing going on to all the race group such as Altaic,Turkish,Tai-Kadai,Sino-Tibetan, Austronesian.
You do realise appearance/genetics doesn't always coincidence with culture and language, right?

Hungarians are obviously a lot closer to Czechs than Bengalis, despite Czechs and Bengalis speaking Indo-European.

Khmer are genetically no closer to Vietnamese than many Southern Chinese peoples, including some Han. Their culture is pretty different too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia