Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 03:00 AM

318 posts, read 638,825 times

Advertisements

Chinese Americans on average are more entrepreneurial than Filipino Americans. Even in a suburb like Daly City, California where Filipinos outnumber the Chinese, the majority of Asian owned mom & pop businesses in Daly City are still run by the Chinese and not the Pinoys.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:03 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,970 times
Not all Filipino Americans emulate black culture, actually only a low percentage. Surely there are some and more Filipinos are into hiphop and other African-American stuff compared to other Asians. They are also more prominent and noticeable with the loud music and other things they use to draw attention to themselves. However, in the SF Bay Area, you can compare Daly City (which is over 1/3 Filipino and relatively few African Americans) and the Oceanview district of San Francisco (which has both significant African American and Filipino presence), there are more Filipinos who sing and dress like African Americans in Oceanview while they are relatively rare in Daly City. I guess the proximity increases the influence significantly.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:06 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Chinese Americans on average are more entrepreneurial than Filipino Americans. Even in a suburb like Daly City, California where Filipinos outnumber the Chinese, the majority of Asian owned mom & pop businesses in Daly City are still run by the Chinese and not the Pinoys.
Hello ! Chinese are always known for having businesses everywhere in the world. Why does it sound like you are creating a competition between Chinese and Filipinos ???? I just noticed it.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:10 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
A huge event for Filipino student organizations in California. They're not really ghetto. They're normal with a little bit of Asian nerdiness

On The Scene: 2012 Friendship Games at Cal State Fullerton - YouTube

Old 04-01-2014, 03:16 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Well, a lot of what drives people to emigrate from other countries to the US is money, as opposed to nationalism. Especially nowadays, with the US' fractured sense of patriotism... a family who emigrated from China so that they could start a business, make money to send back home, and push their kids to excel in school so they could become doctors, lawyers, businesspeople, etc are more likely to look at the military as a job for lower or working class people to get a leg up while putting their lives at risk - even if they think that serving in the military is honorable and commendable, it's not something they want their kids to do.

Again, with Filipinos, there's more of a cultural background for it - same goes for the Vietnamese, as many Vietnamese immigrants post-Vietnam were South Vietnamese soldiers and their families who served with the US military in Vietnam and had a more positive view of them.
Filipinos who served in the American Armed Forces (such as during World War II) were granted US citizenship, so it's not a surprise that Filipino Americans are more likely to have family that formerly served in the military than other Asians. That also explains why it is more likely for Filipino Americans to enlist in the military because their fathers/grandfathers are military veterans.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:02 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
In the US, South Asians and East Asians are stereotypes with their accents and 'nerdiness'. A lot of people of color think they're 'wannabe Whites' or wealthy. West Asians are stereotypes as violent or terrorists, and Southeast Asians as nail salon owners (and workers) and poor, not as smart as their northern neighbors. Of course, all of this is dumb.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:07 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
It seems this is or was the case in much of SEA. Despite being minorities the Chinese controlled a lot of the economy and owned most of the shops. Hence the moniker 'Jews of Asia.'

Old 04-09-2014, 01:59 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It seems this is or was the case in much of SEA. Despite being minorities the Chinese controlled a lot of the economy and owned most of the shops. Hence the moniker 'Jews of Asia.'
same in Little Saigon in the US , it seems most business owners are actually ethnic Chinese not Vietnamese

many of them told me they are Chinese, but speak Vietnamese & Chinese and some dont speak Chinese anymore

if you ever go to the meat markets in Little Saigon it seem they speak Chinese / Cantonese

Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 PM

199 posts, read 336,635 times
Oh look, another divide-and-conquer thread

This is why the West will always be ahead of the East: while Europe gradually builds its European Union, Asian nations have hangups about their colonial past, World War II, territorial disputes, etc.
I'm sure the west loves it (such as the OP agent provocateur) whenever a successful Asian vs. Asian dispute/argument is created.

Quote:
A lot of the Filipinos I've known strive towards government jobs, whether they're local, state, or federal, or at the very least, unionized private sector jobs. The same that the Chinese push their kids to become doctors or lawyers because it's "good work," lots of Filipinos push their kids to strive towards jobs that are stable, pay a living wage, give fair benefits, and come with a pension.

Also, military service is thought of as something sensible: lifetime VA benefits and discounts on food via the commissary, pension/retirement for career members, college tuition grants, and in some cases preferential entrance for servicemembers or veterans... versus Chinese or other Asian communities who generally look at military service as being "low class" and have a less-sympathetic viewpoint towards it. Filipinos actually have a very long and colorful history of serving in the US military, so there's also a historical/cultural background for it.

If dad works for the local government in the roads & maintenance department and makes $45k/year, and mom is an auditor in the county burser's officer and makes $40k/year, then you have an $85k/year dual income family. Grandpa served in the Navy for 20 years and gets a full pension plus benefits, and grandma had a union job in a hotel for 30 years so she gets her pension plus benefits as well, so combined, all told, you have over $120k/year coming into the household plus grandma and grandpa watch the kids, so childcare costs are effectively nonexistent. When the kids go off and do their own thing and mom and dad retire with their pensions, the cycle will repeat. Doesn't sound that bad to me...

I've had lots of Filipino friends my whole life and count a couple as my best friends now; IMO Filipinos are, by ethnicity, one of the nicest and most sincere and genuine groups of people I've ever met.
Probably the most sensible and articulate/well-written post in this thread so far. Reps for you, good sir.

Quote:
Filipinos who served in the American Armed Forces (such as during World War II) were granted US citizenship, so it's not a surprise that Filipino Americans are more likely to have family that formerly served in the military than other Asians. That also explains why it is more likely for Filipino Americans to enlist in the military because their fathers/grandfathers are military veterans.
U.S.-Philippine military relations go even further back before World War II when Philippines became a U.S. territory around the early 20th century. The U.S. Naval Base at Subic Bay (established 1885, now closed) used to be a recruiting station for native Filipinos to enlist in the U.S. Navy.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:49 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
same in Little Saigon in the US , it seems most business owners are actually ethnic Chinese not Vietnamese

many of them told me they are Chinese, but speak Vietnamese & Chinese and some dont speak Chinese anymore

if you ever go to the meat markets in Little Saigon it seem they speak Chinese / Cantonese
I lived in Footscray, a very Vietnamese part of Melbourne, most of the businesses were Vietnamese owned (although some are Hoa, I just consider them Vietnamese anyway). In the markets there I mainly hear Vietnamese not Mandarin or Cantonese, although more Chinese from China are moving into Footscray now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia