U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:59 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I hear some Filipinos speak English among themselves, is this true? That would make it along with Singapore and Malaysia the only two countries in Asia where this is really happening.
Yes, very normal to speak English among Filipinos. It's the most used language in formal occasions and business transactions in the Philippines. There's usually only English in restaurant menus (although some Filipino words for local dishes are mixed in) so ordering in English only is pretty normal as well. Most children nowadays learn English first. In the non-Tagalog speaking areas, the Filipino language subject (which is basically Tagalog) is notorious for being the most hated thing to learn in school.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 AM

Quote:
A lot of older Malaysian Chinese can speak little or no Mandarin, even a lot of the young ones.
A recent visit to Malaysia seems to me like English is on the decline while the use of Mandarin is increasing.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Yes, very normal to speak English among Filipinos. It's the most used language in formal occasions and business transactions in the Philippines. There's usually only English in restaurant menus (although some Filipino words for local dishes are mixed in) so ordering in English only is pretty normal as well. Most children nowadays learn English first. In the non-Tagalog speaking areas, the Filipino language subject (which is basically Tagalog) is notorious for being the most hated thing to learn in school.
Wow really? So a lot of kids are being raised with English as a first language? I'm interested to visit and see how prevalent it is. Any stats on how many primary school aged children speak English at home? In Singapore I read it's now about 60%.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:06 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Filipinos don't normally pronounce their R's like Americans, it's just American influence. Usually the R's are pronounce like Spanish, a flick or tap of the tongue. But I noticed that more and more Filipinos are using the American R, even when speaking Filipino. It will probably take over
Yes especially among the younger generation. Most people can no longer pronounce properly the word " Perlas " because they would say it the American way " Pearl ". I hate hearing it especially when they sing the national anthem.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Well nothing per se but with Filipinos it just sounds so extreme and a bit annoying.
Extreme and annoying in what sense ?

Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Wow really? So a lot of kids are being raised with English as a first language? I'm interested to visit and see how prevalent it is. Any stats on how many primary school aged children speak English at home? In Singapore I read it's now about 60%.
No stats, but I think not that high. In almost all private schools, the children will speak to each other in English. But in public schools, they're pretty much still using the local language. Oh, when you visit the Philippines, almost anything written are in English. There are few signs in the local language mostly meant for locals only (so don't ask for translation).

Old 04-01-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Extreme and annoying in what sense ?
Just aesthetically grating to me.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
No stats, but I think not that high. In almost all private schools, the children will speak to each other in English. But in public schools, they're pretty much still using the local language. Oh, when you visit the Philippines, almost anything written are in English. There are few signs in the local language mostly meant for locals only (so don't ask for translation).
It seems the Philippines is a bit similar to Indonesia in a sense, or maybe more like Malaysia, except the Malaysian government has ensured that Malay remains predominant. If anything, the standard of English in Malaysia has DECREASED in Malaysia as now all schooling is done in Malay whereas when my dad went to school it was in English due to the British system. It seems the Philippine government is probably encouraging English. Are most Filipinos fluent in Tagalog? Maybe English is a useful lingua franca among all Filipinos.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
I hear some Filipinos speak English among themselves, is this true? That would make it along with Singapore and Malaysia the only two countries in Asia where this is really happening.
It is quite common especially in the capital among the upper class. 70 years ago, Spanish was the norm among the upper class, now it's English. It is used for status symbol though I think Spanish still sound classier as English is so common.
Parents these days also try to speak English to their children and loathe speaking dialect to them. My sister speaks English to her 4 year old daughter and always reminds us never to speak dialect to her. The girl doesnt speak any Filipino.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:26 AM

Quote:
It seems the Philippines is a bit similar to Indonesia in a sense, or maybe more like Malaysia, except the Malaysian government has ensured that Malay remains predominant. If anything, the standard of English in Malaysia has DECREASED in Malaysia as now all schooling is done in Malay whereas when my dad went to school it was in English due to the British system. It seems the Philippine government is probably encouraging English. Are most Filipinos fluent in Tagalog? Maybe English is a useful lingua franca among all Filipinos.
The Philippine government is encouraging English because the call center and business process outsourcing business in the Philippines is huge. There are just so many call center agents in the Philippines now, taking up customer service calls for American (and sometimes from other English-speaking countries) companies. It really depends, but most Filipinos can understand and speak basic Tagalog, but not many are very fluent outside the Tagalog-speaking area and most Filipinos cannot understand formal literary Tagalog. Very few Filipinos can actually understand EVERY word of the national anthem. Also, the most commonly spoken language in Manila is actually Taglish (Tagalog peppered with many English words) rather than pure Tagalog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or